1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

second thoughts?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kris B, Aug 17, 2011.

1. kris B

Recently, after a period of intense depression, I told a few close friends that I think I am gay. They were all mostly okay, no bad reaction or anything. And telling people did help my depression..I feel better now. But sometimes I get this weird idea in my head: what if I am just confused and not really gay? Like today, I was watching a movie and there was a straight sex scene and I started thinking, " am I really giving that up?"

2. maverick

You don't have to "give anything up". Just have sex with people you're sexually attracted to, whatever gender (or non-gender) they happen to be at the time. You don't have to label yourself.

That is all. :thumbsup:

3. SaphireMoon

about 2-3 hours north of the twin cities in MN
    I completly agree. Dont use any lables (*hug*)

4. Phillip

Don't stress over those feelings, it's an idea that once flitted into my own head. You aren't making an unbreakable commitment, you are trying to learn about your sexuality. You have no obligation to anyone to pick a label and stick with it. The world is your oyster :slight_smile:

5. FloatingPiano

Yeah, along with everyone else here, you don't need to commit to anything. :slight_smile: A label isn't permanent.

6. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Are you familiar with the 5 stages of loss? (in this case it would be the loss of your identity)

They are:
    -Denial/isolation (Im not gay, couldnt be gay, Im not even going to be around gay people)
    -Anger (how could I be gay, thats not right! I hate fucking faggots)
    -Bargaining (if I think about women Ill be bi, how could i give that up, if I date women Ill start liking them more)
    -Depression (how could this happen? why did I have to be this way? nobody will like me)
    -Acceptance (I think Im going to be ok, I think Im ready for happiness, I think its time that I start living my life)

To me it sounds like you are somewhere between depressed, and bargaining. Which actually means that you are doing really well, and you are almost at a point where you will start feeling much more secure, and less confused. Understand that everyone here on EC is your support net. We can provide you with the tools to help yourself, but you must take the initiative, and help yourself.

I hope this helps, and if you need to talk at any time, please dont hesitate to shoot me a quick wall message, or contact any of the advisers.

Best of wishes.

7. kris B

I just wanted to thank all the people who responded to my random ramblings. It is good to know that there are people I can share these things with. I am really glad I joined this site. Thank you and take care :slight_smile:

8. Phillip

Of course :slight_smile:. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings.