1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgender FtM Any advice, tips?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by WydenEmmie, Aug 18, 2011.

1. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    Transgender FtM here. I'm only thirteen, so I already no there isn't much can do, but what can I do? I've told my mother, but she, as many parents do, believes it's just a phase. I know that it's not. I've always been more comfortable around guys, and was devastated when told I wasn't allowed to run around without a shirt anymore XD. These hormonal changes have really been uncomfortable for me and made me very insecure. Is there anything I can do at a young age, that I can do myself, or pay for myself, without having to go through my mother? Like chest binding; I can't buy a binder, but I have easy access to ace bandages (though I've read that they can cause major damage if worn constantly). And I've looked into testosterone therapy, but would have to go through my mother, as I would need her consent for the shots and the gel seems to be rather expensive. Any tips, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

2. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Well if your mother is not convinced that you are trans, then you should maybe toss around the idea of seeing a gender therapist. They can help you more thoroughly threw your struggles, and even give you the steps to moving more towards your real identity. Like setting you up with binders, hormones, ect. Without a gender therapist I dont know whether most places will actually let you begin any treatments.

3. arik

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Wyden, hello again! Haha

Anyways, no ace bandages. Those be very bad. I've actually strained chest muscles binding with those. Hurts like hell. My best suggestion is to go for professional binding but those run about $70-80. Ouch, I know. So my favorite backup is those waist-girdle thinggys that walmart has. $15-20 bucks there and the only downfall I've had is the boning sticking out oddly when you hunch over.

4. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that was the only thing I failed to look into. I'll definitely look into it tonight. That would probably help a lot, but I don't know if she'd take me to one, unless I keep putting it in her brain. Even so, I doubt she'd take me until I was older.

5. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

She is human, we can all respect and understand how difficult that can be sometimes. She is probably struggling with this just like you are.

Keep giving her the idea that you want to try and see a gender therapist, and just keep letting her know its for your best interest, and it will help you both in the long run. Its very rare for a mother to not care for their child, so its probably unlikely that she will not love and support who you are in the future.

6. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    arik, I've only bound with ace bandages twice, so I'll definitely stop. And my one friend has plenty of walmart trips, so I'll go with her when I get the money to. I'll check out those 'waist girdle-thingys' (nice description xD). And one quick question, have you ever bound with pantyhose, or stockings, whatever you want to call them? Are they any good, or better than ace bandages?

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2011 at 03:09 PM ----------

TyRawr, I will. If she sees that it's for my best interest, she'll probably do it. I hope.

7. arik

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My biggest complaint with the pantyhose is, while cheap, you feel it. The damn shoulder parts literally cut into your shoulders. You know when you get the somewhat painful underwear lines? About 5x worse. They do go away and no permenant damage so far however but I don't recommend. And if you do, put on a sports bra underneath and put those straps between the flesh of your shoulders and that darn pantyhose.

8. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    arik, okay thanks. If I do try it, I'll be sure to throw a sports bra on under it. That's normally what I wear, along with nice and baggy shirts. I've also tried wearing one sports bra forward, one backward, and it kind of works, but is very uncomfortable in warm weather.

9. arik

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    A final nice thing about the professional ftm binders is that most of them can be worn as just a tank-top or shirt. Very nice and as I like to think my own second skin. -wistfully- It's almost like not wearing a shirt because the back and sides are see through mesh -eyebrow wiggle-

lol

10. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, that makes me think of like a sports top or something. It'd be a lot more comfortable for the most part as well. I'm going to start saving any money I come in contact with and put it toward something like this.

11. arik

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Good idea. Also, if your the sporty type theres also the frog bra. Look it up. Specially made for quite a bit of binding. Mostly so boobs don't jiggle when your running I think. XD

12. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    Nice xD. I'll look it up. As for getting my mom to buy it, I can tell her it's for running because conveniently enough, I love to run, hike, etc.

13. Olive

On the opposite side of the spectrum(I'm MtF, myself), though I'm a bit older than you, it sucks being a teenager with GID. I'm depressed enough that I have to wait two and a half years to start HRT. I feel your pain!

As was said before, if your mom already knows, throw around the idea of seeing a Gender Therapist. I don't wanna start HRT until after I graduate, so I don't get any changes during school that could be used for ridicule.

If you're comfortable with transitioning during school, more power to you!

14. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, if I am allowed to transition during school, I won't be bothered with it because I go to a cyber school. I only go into my old school for band. Everyone in the band is rather nice for the most part, and since it's a small band, like 26 kids, no bullying or harassment really gets past the directors. Though I highly doubt my mother will be comfortable enough to let me transition until I'm old enough to do what I want and will do it anyway.

15. maverick

I don't have much advice (at least none that I've taken for myself, so I don't feel comfortable telling you to go to a gender therapist when I haven't got the guts to walk in to talk to one yet) but it sure is nice to see so many transfolk around EC lately! :kiss:

16. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I'm extremely glad I found this site. It's full of advice and encouragement. Nobody is really judgmental, and somebody is always here to help. It's like the place to go when you're not sure where else to go, or who else to turn to. :icon_bigg