1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That 'separated' feeling

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rinto, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Rinto

Rinto Guest

I've been stricken by an old feeling that used to get to me at unbelievable times. I've been engaged into a whole lot of exposing activities with my friends but I don't feel any happier; it feels rather sad and lonely.

Almost all my friends are paying less attention to me because they each have their own partners while others get themselves occupied by uninteresting school work. Whenever I go with them as a pastime, each of them would pair up and I basically just walk alone or stick with one of the pairs.

And also, just recently, I've gained contact with that straight crush of mine I'm telling on another thread; it was great. But in the middle of the conversation, he kept asking for my name and tried guessing who I really am. I really did want to stay anonymous just so because people act differently when they know it's me that they would be facing or whatever but he insisted and finally revealed my identity. But still, I didn't confirm it.

It just feels sad being like that. You can neither make any movements with both your friends and your love life. People act differently because they know it's me, that if they act wrongly, I might get angry and do something terrible. Yes, I could look kind of scary but wouldn't 3 years of being with me prove enough that I'm just a beast outside and a tamed one inside?

I'm not craving for any added relationships or looking for any new things. I just want things to be what they used to be, simple and nice. Why can't they act like they used to before they got their partners and why can't they take me seriously as a person of their age and not a child? I'm trying my best to fit in but I just don't get it...

2. Chandra

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling lonely and alienated by your friends. It sucks when everyone else seems to be in happy relationships except you - I've been there, so I can understand what you're going through. Unfortunately it's a common theme that people in new relationships tend to "disappear" for a while, as they're so wrapped up in their new partner. Have you tried letting your friends know how you're feeling?

3. Mark182

Mark182 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with Chandra tell your friends how you feel. They're not spending less time with you on purpose. It just happens when people start a new relationship. If you tell them that you feel like you don't get to see them often enough they'll make more of an effort to see you.

4. Rinto

Rinto Guest

I don't really want to intrude with their affairs with their partners so I'm trying to pretend I'm "contented" of what they are treating me. I think it would be wrong if I would demand for more attention than their partners since I might be a cause of their break-ups...

5. Chandra

But from my understanding you aren't demanding more of their time than their partners, are you? You're just wishing they would spend some of their time with you.

It's actually much healthier for couples to spend some time with other friends and not be completely joined at the hip all the time. If their relationship is so fragile that spending time with friends would cause them to break up, they will probably break up eventually anyway.

6. Rinto

Rinto Guest

Well, I'm not. It's just that some of them overdo things. When you say some, it's much for them. That's a little bit bothering...

I guess I could just keep it up like this for some moment. I don't think they'll be up that way anyway.^^ Thank you guys, btw. It's really nice of you to help out.