1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell my summer job I can't commit to fall?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dare2bProud, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Dare2bProud

Hello! I need some quick advice ... my summer job wants me to work for them this fall on the weekends. This summer I worked at a theme park where I supervised a theatre, I fulfilled my contract from May - August. The show closed last week. I am starting my first year of graduate school and the work load is intense, plus I am going through a lot of mental health issues over the past eight months on relationships and situations that have impacted me negatively. It's been a struggle. Anyway, deep down my gut feeling is telling me to call them and tell them I really can't make it this fall, however, I feel that I had worked so hard this past summer that I'm afraid if I tell them I can come this fall that whatever I did this summer will be a waste and they will view me negatively, not give me a good reference .. etc .. however, the drive is a hour from where I am and it was really rough on me this summer. I doubt I will return next year, because it was way too intense for me and I might be freelancing at theatre's around the area. I'm so conflicted right now.

2. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Just tell them what you told us here. You're busy with school. They'll understand.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. If you're not planning to get rehired there, I wouldn't stress about anything. They're not going to give you a bad reference only because you wouldn't stick around another month or two, particularly if you tell them you're starting grad school.

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I've heard, grad school takes a lot of work and dedication. I would tell them that. I'm sure they would understand. And if you have filled your contract and have been a good employee, there's no reason for them to leave you negative feedback. :slight_smile:

5. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

To tell you the truth buddy, I don’t see a problem. You worked hard and they know it, it is their duty to give a glowing recommendation! And frankly, you completed your contract. In a court of law you have every right to leave because you completed WHAT YOU WERE HIRED TO DO! You gotta do YOU now! It seems like you’d feel like not working for them in the fall would be a sort of betrayal? Am I right? Dude, you worked up to the amount of time you were expected to. School’s back in session and your future awaits! I wish you the best! :slight_smile:

6. Dare2bProud

Yes, you're right, I do view it as a betrayal!

7. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

Okay. Is this mutiny? Are they going to vaporize you for not working for them? No. LOL :slight_smile:

Now, are you going to Grad School? Like, for sure!? Then you have to tell them! Rip the band aid off and say, “Yo’, I ain’t working here no mores!” LOL!

My view is the worst anyone can do to you in life is kill ya. They can’t kill ya. They don’t own ya. You own YOU!!!! :slight_smile: Tell them “Deuces! Kick Rocks! Imma do me and get me a degree!" OMGSH THAT RHYMES!!!! :grin:

8. Dare2bProud

LOL, nice! That made me smile, thanks! :slight_smile:

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All you have to do is call them up and you can pretty much even quote my exact words here if you'd like.

Or some variation. Don't even need to ask them for a reference because frankly generally most companies will give references anyway if you include them on a future job application under references/work history. Besides, you even said your contract was from May - August. Them asking you to work more, while not inappropriate or illegal or anything, you should not feel obligated to continue. If your contract ended in August, it ended in August, not December, and as such you have no obligation to continue.

Hope it helps

10. Dare2bProud

Just an update. I did finally sign the papers and turn my uniforms in today. They tried to guilt me into staying, but I told them it wouldn't be possible. She told me that me being uncommitted to them has jeopardized my chance of being asked back next summer. That makes two jobs this year that I have completely failed at and have not been given the chance to ever return.

11. redstormrising

hey, their being unreasonable is NOT your failure! you did the mature, responsible thing - informed them that you would not have enough time to devote to working there during the school year. that they would try to guilt trip you into staying, at the expense of your studies, says that maybe that isn't the sort of place you really want to work . . .

12. ezkill

I wouldn't worry about your opportunity being jeopardized. There's still a chance to tell them that you are interested in returning in the future.

It sounds like: A) They really loved having you work for them .... OR .... B) They really don't retain any workers, so they need them all the time.

In both cases, you benefit because they need someone to work for them again. If it's case A, which I am almost sure it is because of the last desperate attempt they made to keep you, then your chances of getting rehired later on (no matter what they say) are probably very high.

Anyways, don't worry about it. Focus on grad school :slight_smile:

13. RaeofLite

Would it be better to put your grad studies at risk of failing and burning out in order to work for them? Or get a good reference from them and fail your grad studies and work for them for the rest of your life?

...I see which one I'd choose. I know what boat you're in though. I quit my summer job and my boss kept trying to ask me to come back on weekends when I moved hours away from where my job was in order to go to school. NOT worth it. Trust your gut. It's usually right. :slight_smile:

14. feelindown

feelindown Guest

well, basically you can't work there and you dont want to and it's going to stress them out. just tell them you have other pre-obligations with school and that you enjoyed your experience with them this past summer but you will not be able to come back at this time due to your schedule and other school responsibilities. thank them for the opportunity and let them know you will be in touch if things change.

15. Dare2bProud

Thanks guys. I'm starting to feel good about this situation. It's very hard for me to let go and like I said I still do feel as if I failed immensely.

16. Dare2bProud

So it seems a lot of the acquantances I made at work, no longer want to know me as they unfriended me from FB. Ugh ... why did this decision have to be so complicated? I feel I made the right decision, but yet I pissed everyone off in the process? It's unfair to me.

17. feelindown

feelindown Guest

look dude, you are 28, you are not a slave or an indentured servant if you dont want to work at that mothaf'er than you dont have to work there. if they unfriend you on fbook, who da H cares. eff them. you don't owe these hoes nothing. stop tripping and do what you have to do for you. they are not paying your bills. they are not doing crap for you. move on. really.

18. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Basically what feelindown said, though I'd state it with less expletives :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

There's nothing to feel guilty about here. You did your contract, decided to focus on other things and moved on. They can regret that, they can even act childish and throw a tantrum, but when you started at the place, you signed a work contract, you didn't marry them.

Don't get caught up in facebook drama (you are not in any way defined by the amount of "friends" you have on there) and trying to be everyone's best friend forever. Some friends you get to keep, some you don't. And if they're dropping you over pursuing grad school, I'm not thinking you lose anything by not having them on facebook.

Let it go, focus on grad school and odds are you'll make new and better friends there!