1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Work Problems/Issues

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Revan, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So this is kind of an odd sort of topic but I'm more or less needing advice with it. Basically here's the scoop. My past when it's come to employment has been rather a sticky mess. Whenever I've gotten into a job, after some point, I become sick of it. Now why is it so odd, when many people often get sick of their jobs all the time. It's because I can physically become sick of it. Like going into work makes me sick. Now whether this is my Asperger's Syndrome, or some other aspect, I'm not sure. I just know it's caused me to often not really succeed with jobs minus one. So here's the story.

First job: A variety store down my street that I visited for ages and when I was offered a job, I jumped at the chance because I had been wanting to get into the working world, no one from McDonald's had ever actually called (weird I know lol) and I thought this won't be too difficult. I just ring people through with the cash register, bing bang boom. What's more is that there was a tv behind the desk I could watch, and I could also always bring in books to read if i wished and have a snack. Then it started going downhill after the one time I was told I was needed and I had already had plans, so I said I was sick. Now he had no proof I wasn't sick but just...yeah. He (the boss) basically started making changes. Told me I couldn't watch the tv anymore. Then said I can't have a snack anymore. Then started limiting the hours I worked and since I only worked weekends anyway, that was a frustration. And then of course when I got a job with McDonald's about a year later, five months later he let me go saying my time constraints with McDonald's made it difficult for him. So yeah I'll admit I caused the problems but it wasn't that I didn't at first TRY to do well. It just went into a pit.

McDonald's: Well this job actually went pretty well up until January of the new year, (I started in May of 2005). Then I started calling in sick a couple of times when other things came up, I was dealing with the stresses of trying to come out, etc etc. Then I met a guy, my second bf and everything was going well up until he bought me some items and since I wasn't out to mom, she asked what they were from (it was a shirt, belt and a shirtless male calendar). I said the last part I ahd bought for a girl friend, tho mom thought it was tacky and that night something changed, I started feeling both mentally and emotionally miserable, I slightly contemplated suicide one day at work and then when I asked Mom if I could quit McDonald's she said yes but then asked my manager for a leave of absence even though apparently since Jan I had called in sick about 90% of my shifts so I was self-destructing with that job too. Then I broke up with the bf and felt better so frankly I probably could have...not quit McDicks but was stupid and at the same time glad to get out of there.

School Library: I got a job at the library at my university and I thought ,this is great, I can even be on facebook and msn when I'm not working, what's the big freaking deal, it'll be a snap. But I dunno I started to get very bored from it and just was like "SHOOT ME NOW" and was also missing Heroes in the height of my love of it, so I asked Mom if I could quit, she said yes. Once again, because I didn't like my job, I decided to quit. And once again made a dumb move.

Boston Pizza: This was fun for a while, I liked the people I worked with and enjoyed helping out customers, but then something changed. I started getting frustrated with the repetitive tasks and annoyed with the constant having to stay standing for seven hours at a time and such. So I eventually, you guessed it, quit. And once again it was a stupid move.

Personal Support Worker: This job is the only job I've kept (only recently quit and this time not a stupid move) for four years and haven't self destructed. I helped out a young man with autism and it was fun because we'd go to movies, watch tv, basically all the stuff I enjoyed doing. It was really a "this is fun" type of job. I mean I'll admit, there were times when I didn't like always going in, sometimes I just wasn't in the mood, sometimes the boy kind of drove me a bit nuts, but I never ever quit. I kept persevering and created a great bond with the young man. The only reason I've now quit is because my parents are about to move to a city 2 hours away, and I've more or less semi-permanently moved to a city where my university is. So obviously since he's still in my hometown and I don't/won't have a car with insurance to drive from L to S (the first initials of the cities) to take him around, clearly I did have to quit but for logical reasons.

And now: Sears W&J Repair...this is where I'm sorta needing help more or less. Basically everything at this job had more or less been going fairly well. I mean yes, sometimes I'd get frustrated because I couldn't get a watch back open to fix the battery tho I mean I do only have four months experience and still working on it. But here's where my usual whole :S moment has started happening. Two weeks ago my manager unfortunately broke his hip :slight_smile:() and as such left me and my co-worker to the store. Now at first it frustrated me a little as my five days off became only two days off because I was needed to help of course. Then this past week I worked Monday to Friday, with Friday being 8 hours (something I normally NEVER work, usually its 5-9 Monday to Friday with of course breaks here or there, either 9-2 or 2-6 on Saturday, and sometimes 11-5 on Sundays). Now I will admit I wasn't thrilled, I mean I get to read often with my job but there are times when its just like "crap" and that 8 hour shift was one of those times.

Now I'm about to start my final year of Undergraduate and of course the last years of Undergrad are often crucial for Grad School and with my disability, some subjects I don't do amazingly well with for exams, but you know, you just have to do the best you can. Unfortunately with my manager still on hiatus, and my co-worker leaving on August 28th, the manager from the other Sears store in our area (please note that in our section there's three of us, and at the other store, three of them) she wants me to basically work 7 days a week for the whole month, to "help her out". And I mean it was one thing that she was asking me to work days on Friday and Monday, I get that, I am fine with that if need be. But then she asked me to work Tuesday, WEdnesday and thursdays, the days I have class (generally just up to 2:30, with the exception of 5:30pm wednesday to which she said I could maybe work 6-9pm >_>) and its just like....I said yes at first but now I've asked to talk to her with my concerns because I've done some thinking and frankly if I work 7 days...I'm screwed for school, plain and simple. Now I'm not saying I'm thinking of quitting, I think both my boyfriend and my parents have talked me out of that, because it is not a bad job, I do get to read often, and if worse comes to worse with a customer I just say I will have my manager take a look at it, or I can send it to head office to be fixed. Plain and simple. But its still frustrating the heck out of me. I'll be speaking with the manager and I'll see the schedule tomorrow so it could very well be not as bad as I think it will be, everything could wind up A-OK, I might not even be scheduled as often as I think depending on the two co-workers from her store and their availability to possibly work at our store. But yeah, I'm going to talk to her on Tuesday to tell her I NEED Tuesdays - Thursdays off, and I just am both ranting just to rant but also wondering:

1. Are they trying to take advantage of me because I'm the only employee currently employed at this store that hasn't left or isn't injured?
    2. Is it my right to ask for Tuesday to Thursday off? I mean they can't say no/can't fire me for asking for those days off right?
    3. Should I definitely stick it out? I mean the longest I can probably work with them anyway may be till August of next year as I may be moving to Toronto for school.

So yeah guys...what do you think?

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So no one has thoughts then?

3. maverick

I don't think they're taking advantage of you. I think it's more a case of "every office needs a workhorse and that's we decided you". Seems like it was just a case of you being in the right place at the right time when they lost Osteoporosis Dude.

As someone looking in from the real world of post-graduation (and as an American coming from a place where people would KILL for your job because they're so scarce) my first inclination is to tell you to suck it up. As soon as you graduate from college, your days of 4-hour shifts are essentially over unless you plan to live on welfare or can come up with a really lucrative business plan.

This sounds like a *really* smart compromise, not only to keep your grades up but also send a note to your employer that you are not going to be jerked around as far as your schedule goes.

No, they can totally fire you for asking for those days off. If they need someone to work Tuesday-Thursday and you're not available, they're well within their rights to fire you and find someone who CAN work those days.

Yes, if only to break your "I'm quitting this job because it gets on my nerves" streak. You won't have that luxury after graduation because at that point you'll lose your parents' financial support and will have to worry about extracirricular crap like...I don't know...rent. :grin:

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well technically they can't in canada as I've passed the probationary period. If they want to fire me because I want time off for school its my legal ability to sue them if they fire me. (I found this out today several hours after posting this topic. But yeah I know I need to get use to working but at least I have money put aside to pretty much last me till 30 yrs old so...ya. But as for the other stuff u said I realize its true but I don't really understand how people work when in post grad often ur in school from like 8am to 7pm so I don't know how people can survive in work and post grad...I'm just saying...