1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning my Gay-ness

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Geufkee, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Geufkee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey y'all!

I'm new on this forum and I thought; why not put one of my biggest questions out there.
    And you'll have to excuse me for my English, I'm Dutch..

I always knew I had feelings for men, I told all my friends and family I'm gay 2 years ago and have had some boyfriends in those 2 years of being openly gay. I had some girlfriends when I wasn't 'out' yet, but never had sex with one.

Although I think I'm gay (or rather, I want to be gay), I sometimes question my sexuality. It might sound weird, but it would be much easier for me to be, say a '100% gay', than bisexual because most of my friends and family know I'm gay, and I also have some really intimite friendships with girls, which would'nt have been as good if I was straight, if you know what I mean. And I also wouldn't like telling everyone that I'm straight after all..

Although I ain't attracted to vagina's (I thinkt those things are just gross), I do seem to like boobs and don't mind seeing a womans buttocks. On the other hand, I'm very attracted to men sexually, in any way possible.

The thing that concerns me the most is that when I cuddle with my best friend or give her a kiss (she's a girl), I get a boner, although I'm not 'turned on' or have feelings for her other than a good friendship.

To make a long story short; I'm openly gay, but question my sexuality.

Love,

Geufkee

2. maverick

Physical response doesn't change your sexual orientation, especially if you are not turned on.

The act of kissing and cuddling is biologically sexual foreplay regardless of how "friendly" you and the person doing it are. Makes sense that you would pitch a tent, as your body is anticipating further developments.

3. Geufkee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah but you know, it really sucks. I don't want my best friend to think that I feel attracted to her in any way. I already told her I have that problem and she told me she understands and doesn't mind, but I'm still afraid it might change the friendship. Not just for her, but mostly for me. I feel really bad about that.. :frowning2:

4. maverick

If you don't sleep with her and don't lead her on with any thoughts that she could be anything more than your good female friend, it won't change the friendship.

If you do sleep with her - even just during a night of flippant, drunken debauchery - woe be to you, buddy. At that point, all bets are off and you definitely risk changing or losing the friendship.

(Which is pretty much the way it works when you move any friendship from the platonic into the romantic, regardless of whether you're gay, straight, or something in-between).

5. Geufkee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would never want to sleep with her or anything, haha.

But thanks for the help!

6. maverick

7. Geufkee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well the weird thing is, I really dislike Apple..

8. jddvtm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    what is it about the vagina that you feel is gross?

9. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    lol what does the computer have to do with a person's sexuality? Sorry I feel stupid but I have no idea what that meant haha and I'd like to know. I dislike Apple so does that mean something? I prefer Dell.

As for the original post, I don't think you should worry too much about your orientation just because you got a boner around your friend. It's normal to get a physical response when someone is right up next to you. It's also okay to question your sexuality. Most people aren't 100% gay and if you find that you're attracted to a woman then just let yourself feel and don't think too hard about it. I understand how confusing it can be though. Sometimes I've been turned on by seeing a man's boner and it is confusing. But even if I have liked male qualities before I think I'm gay because I've only felt truly physically and emotionally attracted to women. It is weird and I totally know what you mean. It would suck to be a guy in a situation because you have to deal with boners that other people can notice. If you tell your friend that you just think of her as a friend and don't do anything to lead her on, I'm sure it'll be fine and your friendship will remain the same.

I know once you've come out you feel weird if you're attracted to someone of the opposite sex since it's not going along with what you think you are. Sorry if that sounded confusing. I mean that once you tell people you're gay it feels weird to go back on your word and say you are attracted to a female. But don't feel like you have to box yourself into a label just because you've told others that you are gay. I'm not saying you're not gay, just that you should let yourself relax and be okay with your feelings and physical responses as they come. Sorry if this hasn't helped much but I'm glad you came on here to talk about stuff.

10. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

I think this thread is being perverted for the seriousness of what actually needs to be addressed.

Geufkee, what you are experiencing when you are with your friends sounds hormonal. Its probably happening because you are in contact with another person, regardless of their gender, and you probably would lack that contact otherwise.

Also it could be because you are relaxed in her presence. Working as a Massage Therapist, I happen to know that erections are a reaction to being relaxed, its the same as your stomach gurgling. (Exactly the same as going to sleep and waking up with morning wood)

If that is the only reason you are struggling, and questioning your sexuality then you have nothing to be afraid of, its nothing to be overly concerned over.

Are there other reasons though that you are thinking you are not gay?

11. Geufkee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I don't know actually. Sometimes when I feel lonely at night or something, I start fantasising about women, how it would feel/be to have a serious relationship with a woman. On the other hand, I'm only sexually attracted to men.

---------- Post added 23rd Aug 2011 at 11:05 AM ----------

I just think they are gross to look at. To me it's like a cold, wet cave.

---------- Post added 23rd Aug 2011 at 11:12 AM ----------

Forgot to thank you for your help, haha.
    Thankyoouu! : D
    x

12. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Have you ever had romantic feelings for a woman? Is it the physical attraction that is confusing you right now or are there emotions along with the physical attraction?

13. Geufkee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it's mostly romantic, I had some girlfriends before I was out although I have never had any sort of intercourse with them except kissing.