1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i think its time...if i just get the nerve

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by closetgregg, Aug 22, 2011.

1. closetgregg

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ive finally got over the hump of accepting my sexuality. i am most certainly gay! there i said it! i have known who i wanted to tell first for the longest time and am going to see her this weekend. i want so dearly to tell her my secret but worry ill lose the nerve. its time and i know its time. why does this have to be so hard?

2. FloatingPiano

Hey there. :grin: Well, my advice to you is to just go see your friend, and then just let things flow naturally. You'll know when the perfect time to tell her is. :slight_smile:

3. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Think about who the easiest person, and most accepting person is to tell, and try and tell them.

I would advise starting the convo with I have something I need to tell you, and its really important to me, and it really means allot that you support and accept what I am about to tell you. That will set you up for what you have to tell them, and their response will more likely be an accepting supportive one.

Congratulations, you have really accomplished such a huge step onto your path to happiness. I hope you feel proud of yourself for how well you are doing!

4. Phillip

Even if you've got it all planned out, those last few words are gonna feel like a leap of faith. Find a good, quiet place to talk and work your way into it. Go one thought at a time until you get there and don't rush. Once you take that leap everything will flow so much better, trust me.

5. ezkill

I really agree with this advice here. If you didn't know, this weekend I came out to everyone else who didn't already know, not to say that I wasn't out to a lot of people already.

I drove two hours to Seattle (from where I am currently working, temporarily) to see my friends and hang out this weekend. Before I even left for the trip, I decided in my heart that by the time I leave, that they would all know my "secret".

When I was there, I couldn't exactly find the right time to tell them. Fate would have it, however, that when we were all at breakfast one morning, the topic of homosexuality came up. I found out that TWO of our mutual friends were also gay. I knew the stage had been set for me to tell them, but I didn't want to ruin breakfast. Plus, I wanted my other best friend to be there when it happened.

Later that night, we ended up sharing some of our deepest secrets, and at that time I chose to came out. It couldn't have been any smoother and easier than at that moment.

In short, the time will come, and you will know when it is appropriate. Try leading into the topic casually.