1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advice on this?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FloatingPiano, Aug 22, 2011.

1. FloatingPiano

Hello everyone. :slight_smile: So, I've been getting a little bit more confident about the thought of coming out to my parents. (or at least my Mom) I have decided that I want to come out by means of a letter. I have been writing several versions of it, and I finally have it written the way I want it. I don't know exactly when I'm gonna give it to her yet, though.

Anyway, my question is, how should I go about giving it to her? She I walk up to her and ask her to read it and wait until she's done? Or should I put it somewhere she'll find it and wait until I come home from school or something to talk to her about it?

Oh, and also, I have a typed copy of the letter, but do you think I should give her that one or hand write it?

2. You could give it to her by hand if you feel comfortable with that, sure, but it might be awkward for you to sit there and wait until she's done reading it. Not that you can't do that, I'm just saying that depending on how long it takes her you might be sitting in awkward silence for a while... But, that aside you could give it to her and leave to let her read it, or you could leave it for her somewhere...I don't know, any of those are doable. It's really about what you're most comfortable with.

Typed is fine, I'm sure. I mean, I guess people think about handwritten letters as "more personal", but I personally think as long as you sign it by hand yourself, then it's the words that really are important, not how they were put on the paper...

Good luck coming out to your mom :slight_smile:

3. addie88

i think you should leave it somewhere she'll find it. give her some time to collect her thoughts before she sees you, you know?

anyways, good luck and congrats on making the decision to tell her! :slight_smile:

4. FloatingPiano

Thanks guys. :grin: You're answers' really helped. I agree that sitting there waiting for her to read it would be EXTREMELY awkward, so I'm gonna leave it somewhere for her to find it. :slight_smile: Hopefully I'll be able to do it before school starts up on Monday, so I can just get it off of my chest and start fresh. But who knows. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And yeah, I'm gonna leave it typed. My handwriting is awful anyway. ^^