1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by No One, Aug 24, 2011.

1. No One

Those of you who know me will know that my mom is EXTREMELY homophobic. I tried to come out as a freshman in high school, and it went terrible and led to an ongoing "under the surface" battle between my mother an I. I have come to accept that after 3 years, she isnt going to change. That acceptance was suddenly challenged today.

Earlier today my mom and I were watching Americas Go Talent. One of the contestants was a considerable flamboyant young man who was singing. During the results we were talking about who we wanted to go through and my mom said "They're going to put that gay guy through. They really liked him". I wasn't shocked by this comment at all and countered with "Well if he is good, he should go through". My mom looked at me and said "I'm sorry, that must have sounded terrible. I didnt mean "that gay guy", I just meant to point out who I was talking about". I was shocked to say the least. I have never heard, nor expected to hear my mother apologize for making a comment like that.

Could this mean that she is starting to accept it? I feel so unsure about things right now.

#1 No One, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  2. FloatingPiano

I would say yes!! That's definitely a really good sign!! :grin: Not saying that she's fully accepted you yet, but she's obviously is starting to realize that it's not such a bad thing. It's a really big step on her part for her to apologize. :slight_smile: So in my opinion, she's definitely getting there.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say cautiously yes.

Even the most dyed-in-the-wool, homophobic, christian bigots can eventually come around... look at Prayers for Bobby :slight_smile:

Sounds like she may have realized you aren't going to change, and she can either accept it, or lose you... and she's decided she'd rather not.

However, to avoid getting your hopes up, I'd still suggest keeping a low profile and not pushing your luck. Just keep looking for more positive signs. :slight_smile:

4. TraceElement

It sounds like she at least is accepting the fact that you are gay and aren't about to change. Like Chip said, keep a low profile, but keep doing what you have been doing, it's seems like it's been working for your mom to start coming around.

5. No One

I sort of feel like I shouldnt think anything of it. I'm thinking it was just an once in a life time thing...

6. Eleanor Rigby

Knowing your mum, that is very surprising. And I hope that it means that the fact you're gay and that it's not going to change has started to sink in and made her realize that gay or not, you're still her son.
    But I agree with Chip, you have to stay cautious and keeping it low profile.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that your mother is going to be able to accept you when time will come for you to be fully out.
    (*hug*) Cécile

7. feelindown

feelindown Guest

accept.... no it doesn't sound like it to me. respect her son for how he wants to live his life...sounds like that is happening. she didn't want to offend you or hurt you so she apologized for what she said.

8. No One

Cecile, thanks for the advice. You know I L-O-V-E LOVE you!

Feelindown, to many people, including myself, acceptance simply means realizing that it isnt going to change and loving the person anyway. My parents are never going to change their belief that being gay is wrong, and I dont ask that they do so. I respect their beliefs, and to me acceptance simply means respecting mine.

9. maverick

It sounds at least like she is starting to respect your position.

10. Hanil

It seems she did. I don't want to give you fake hopes but I think so. There's a long way to go yet, but probably this is a start. Why else would she say that?
    So you can feel sure enough to smile! :slight_smile: