1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next Steps as a Senior in High School

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ccabrera, Aug 25, 2011.

1. ccabrera

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I recently came out and will continue to do so and it feels great!!! But the only thing is that after coming out what is the next step? I would assume that it is to try and find a partner that you are really into but the thing is now-a-days me being a senior in a high school that has a total of 8 members in the LGBT club, you can't meet anyone.

So what's next? Wait til college which will be a completely different environment and homosexually is more accepted because more people will be out by then and be comfortable with it. So what do I do for a whole year? :icon_sad:

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much, yeah.

There's this theory that absolutely every person on God's green earth has had several wonderful and fulfilling relationships (and presumably some hot and heavy hook-ups) by the time they leave high school. Fact is - many many people graduate high school without ever having been in anything approaching a decent relationship, and many many people leave high school as virginal as they started it. Sometimes that's due to internal factors - they're shy, they're not sure of themselves, they're socially clumsy. And sometimes there are external factors like yours - being in a place with a very shallow dating pool.

So just assume not much will happen on that front in the next year or so. Sure, if somebody happens to enter your life that seems like a good fit, go for it. But don't go trying to force a square peg into a round hole. :slight_smile: And spend the next year wisely. Work on yourself. Work on your social skills, meeting new people, and solidifying the relationships you've already forged. Then, when you meet an ideal candidate, that part will be handled and second nature. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. No One

Focus on getting to college. Set goals, and work towards them. You dont need to date to enjoy the year.

P.S. You are young to be a senior arent you?

4. ccabrera

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Lexington and No One. Im pretty much not shy and actually very out going. I like to go out and have a good time with friends. I have really great friends and actually one best gay friend already!!! I just thought it would be nice to maybe get more gay friends so I can talk about things with but I also have EC. I don't really think its too important to get a boyfriend but it would definitely be nice!!

I'm not trying to focus on getting a boyfriend because I know the more you do that the less likely it will happen. So I think I'll take your guys advice and work on myself and my relationships. Who knows maybe someone will present themselves to me!

One other question do you think I should join a local LGBT club or my school one (which is incredibly small)? Or just live my life as my true self without trying specifically to meet new people in that environment.

5. ezkill

You should definitely take the opportunity to join the LGBT club, or any club for that matter, for networking purposes. College is a rough transition from high school for a lot of people, in terms of academic load. The most important thing would be to focus on your studies. You will find that as you progress through each semester or quarter, that you will actually become busier than before and that you won't have as much free time as you do now (don't panic, you get used to it). Having a boyfriend or a relationship can be quite distracting, especially if all you do is think about your special someone all day, and try to make any free time available to them (that would better be used for studying or academics).

You will find someone eventually, and the right person will come along. Making friends is a good start, and the rest will follow.

6. maverick

Work your ass off. Don't succumb to senioritis, spend the whole year making yourself look good to colleges. (Don't forget about extracirrics like volunteer work, internships, and foreign language proficiency).

You can join your local LGBT groups if you want, but I think your best bet is to focus on getting into a liberal university. Your dating pool will be much larger at university than in high school.

7. ccabrera

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That is pretty much what I was going to do for my senior year. I always do my best possible in school as in grade, and at the same time I do extracurriculars like the dancing, volunteer work, and helping incoming freshmen. I think I'm on my way to going to a pretty good college and I am not worried about getting senioritis.

For my LGBT club at my school I think its not worth it because it is such a small amount of people that it would not make much of a difference in my life. And I am certainly looking forward to college for that reason Maverick!!!

I wouldn't mind a distraction from school though because I am SO ready to explore a new way of living. If something comes it way I am definitely going to take advantage of it!!!

8. Raeil

I don't have too much to add, as Lex, No One, ezkill, and maverick have already given some great answers.

I just wanted to say that there's nothing wrong with leaving high school without having a relationship. It may get you some odd questions or looks if you're asked about it, but I'm of the opinion that there's plenty of time for relationships in college and beyond, and that if there isn't one during high school that happens, oh well! Good luck with your final year. Enjoy it, because it goes by quickly!

9. Noir

I know what you mean, it's pretty much the same with me. I haven't officially come ou yet, but I'm in a small LGBT group at my school, and it's pretty hard to hook up with anyone there. Especially since they're all a year younger than me in the same group of friends and I'll be graduating. (But I really like one girl in the club, and I don't know what to do about it! ><)

I'm putting all of my money on college. I'll be more accepted, be with someone my own age, and it'll be more convenient than starting a relationship this year only to have to leave/break up with them in a few months. It'll be a little lonely and I'll probably pout about it for the next few months, but in the long run I think it will be worth the wait. ^-^