1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do I feel 40? and can anyone show me how to deal with all thsi stress

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Noah27, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Noah27

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well since I found out I was gay (I think I was like 10 when I finaly put two and two together) the first thing I did was hide in the closet for fear of what my parents would say but there was also this fear of being alone. I remember I was like 13 or 14 and thinking "I dont want to be gay because what if I dont find someone and I end up alone" and in true that has been my main fear even now that Iam out of the closet (Going on 2 years now with my parents but going on a few months with me finaly accapting it for myself) I fear that once I hit 30 and I have not found a partner that I might kill myself. And my mom does not stop pointing it out to me either she told me the other day "I dont care that your gay I just dont want you too die alone" how could I defend myself against that when thats like my main fear right now. And I get really depressed because I have never had a boyfriend or been in a real relashionship. And it really scares me because Iam going to be 20 this Saturday and I have no experiance what so ever and I dont think a guy is going to have the pacience for that...So I get really sad and I truly feel like my life is over I feel like Iam 40 and I have nothing to live for (Not that being 40 is bad but Iam using it as a metaphor as that I have wasted all these years and have absolutely nothing to show for it) And I just dont get how Iam still alive most people would of given up by now and I know we all have our own pain and some people might think that Iam over reacting but its just that well for one I have the pressure of being gay and the fear of being alone then I also have the pressure of maby my parents might get a divorce then the pressure of that my dads company is not doing good financially then the pressure that I miss the US but there is no way to go back and I really miss my old life and to top it all off I feel all alone because I have no gay friends that could relate to me...no scratch that I dont have any friends what so ever here in Mexico and I feel so alone. And Iam like really scared for my life right now I feel like one day I migh just kill myself because its just too much to bare I cant do it anymore. So like can anyone give me advice on how to deal with all this pressure?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, let me take a bit of a detour. Your way of thinking isn't uncommon, but it's also dangerous. Because "I don't want to die alone" often leads people to the conclusion "better a bad relationship than no relationship". Which quite often leads people into getting into, and staying in, lousy relationships. And frankly, having no relationship is much better than being in a lousy one.

Another thing to ponder about the "I don't want to die alone". If you think about the people who DO meet somebody, and settle down, and have a long term relationship...even 50% of THEM technically "die alone". Because, sad to say, somebody usually dies first. Take my maternal grandparents, for instance. They were married for over fifty years. But then my grandfather died, and left my grandmother a widow. Try to picture that really quick - a woman in her early seventies, now a widow. You might picture her retiring to her rocking chair and waiting out her last remaining days in mourning.

Which means you don't know my grandmother. In the years following my grandfather's death, my grandmother:

* got a job at an Asian import store, eventually flying to Japan to do buying for them
    * volunteered at a local hospital
    * re-took up pencil sketching, and took up oil painting
    * learned classical guitar, and joined her church choir

All this in addition to being a kick-ass mother and grandmother to a bunch of people. For over a quarter-century. She finally passed away in 2008, at the age of 98. And I don't want to suggest that she felt she was finally free to do this stuff once my grandfather was out of the picture. She just felt like she had more living to do, and didn't feel like any less of a person just because she no longer had a "partner".

And this may have been one of the biggest and best (unintentional) lessons she passed on to me. People aren't like those half-a-broken-heart friendship pendants - only worthwhile when joined with the other half. People in good relationships aren't two halves, useless without the other. They're two complete people, who often form something bigger and better when with the other.

So keep working on yourself. Don't wait for somebody to bring meaning to your life. Creating meaning in your own life. Go live a kick ass life. Not only will you create a better life for yourself, but as an added bonus, "complete people" who are living kick-ass lives often become pretty damned attractive to others. :slight_smile: And if you don't manage to find somebody - I know several people who are or have been single for a significant stretch of time - so be it. You'll be busy living a kick-ass life, yes no?

Lex

3. Jim1454

^ Totally agree with Lex. First and foremost, you need to feel good about you.

Secondly, you and your mom both need to take a 'chill pill'. You're 20, for crying out loud! Maybe the culture in Mexico is different, but if you're not seriously dating someone by the time you're 20, who cares?!? It certainly isn't a sign that you're doomed to be alone forever!

I didn't realize I was gay, but I wasn't really interested in dating girls either. So I didn't have a really serious relationship until I was 25. I got married at 27. We had our first daughter when I was 30, and we separated when I came out when I was 35. I've now just re-married (to a man this time!!! :icon_bigg) at the age of 40. (Yes - 40 - that age at which you suggested life is practically over! :icon_wink)

For me, I feel like my life is just getting started! Sure, I agonized over the fact that I didn't date when I was younger. Yes, I was scared to death when I was coming out and separating from my wife - I wondered whether life was worth living. But let me tell you this - it's totally worth living. And I'm looking forward to every minute of the rest of my life. I feel great at 40, and have so much going for me. I fully expect to feel great at 50, and 60, and 70!

To Lex's point, we don't know what life has in store for us. 6 months into our relationship, my boyfriend got a pretty scary diagnosis, and he questioned whether or not we should stay together. He didn't want to 'tie me down'. I told him that was stupid, and I wasn't going anywhere, and 3 years later we're married and looking forward to our life together - however long we both live. The past 3 years have been the best 3 years of our lives - both of us - and we would have missed out on them had we been scared instead of courageous.

So be courageous. You are 20 years old, with a whole world of possibilities ahead of you. Meeting someone who you can fall in love with is just one of those possibilities. And while that does enrich our life tremendously, it isn't the only thing worth living for.

So next time your mother says something like that, you tell her not to worry about it, because you're not worried about it - and mean it!