1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet dating?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Noir, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Noir

What are your thoughts on having a girlfriend/boyfriend online as opposed to real life?

I'm getting really spooked because I'm considering dating this one girl online, but I'm super worried we couldn't stay committed or interested in each other if something happens in real life. I don't want to be lonely my last year of high school but I decided to wait until I enter college to start any kind of relationship. She seems really kind and strong and supportive, though (and faithful)--what should I do?? ><

2. XXReye

There's always that kinda risk in online/long distance relationships (but technically, in any relationship really). You just gotta put faith into it, I guess. So that makes the real question whether or not you're able to do that.
    Do you guys have really good communication? That's a key to an online relationship because most of your talking is going to be done through text (unless you have a webcam, or can talk on the phone).

I've been in a couple online relationships before, and I don't see anything wrong with it. Both times I was cheated on, but in one case I didn't really know the girl too well before dating her so I didn't know what kind of person she was. In the other one, the person I was dating was really confused about their orientation so they ended up experimenting and things didn't work out.
    But then, people that I've dated "IRL" have cheated on me too, so that isn't something that only happens in internet dating.

3. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

I don't think it's a good idea unless you've personally known them in real life. One of my bestfriends had a boyfriend online and she talked to him on webcam everyday and would call him and they were together for 2 years but during that time he cheated on her alot and she found out through friends of his, and one day he just disappered leaving her really depressed, she's still pretty sad about it.

4. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As in any relationship, you have to think about what you want out of it and what this relationship would give you. If the dynamics of the relationship don't fulfill your needs, then it's really not a great idea to go through with it.

Do you mind the lack of physical contact? Are you a good communicator? Are your conversations with her stimulating for you? Could you see yourself meeting her down the road (some locations and situations make it very difficult and unlikely)? Those are some of the main things you should consider.

5. Katelynn

I actually just started a new online relationship with just the most wonderful girl! We're both the same age & have like almost everything in common & even within the first time we chatted, we both agreed we just had to meet one day IRL. This is someone I met thru a transgender dating site & she's transgender as well, so she's been super understanding of what I'm just starting out with & what I've been thru in my life as well, which is nice. This is honestly the first time I've been honest with someone completely about who I am & been accepted as female in the relationship, which has made this so great for me so far. The only downside for me is that she lives in the UK...

I guess what all of the above is really meant to be is just that there are fabulous people out there that you can meet & have an online relationship. Both me & my new online crush both agree that we could always meet someone IRL & no longer be single, so we both estblished with each other pretty early on that neither of us would stop living our lives just for the other one. I'd hate to become that person who demands all of my partner's attention & can't stand when she looks or talks to someone else. She make me happy & I make her happy, & the being happy thing is important to both us, so neither of us is going to be too committment-clingy at this point. There is always a risk that you can get burned in any relationship, but if the person is someone you have strong feelings for, I'd say it may well be worth the risk, it's really what you are comfortable with. As well, online intimacy also gives you the opportunity to see a side of a person with safety, not having to worry about things like domestic violence or STDs or any other sort of things that one could run the risk of IRL. If someone is only after a certain thing emotionally or physically from you, better to find that out about their personality online rather than after you've met. Being hurt just sucks, but doing it from a safe distance can minimize the amount of how you're hurt, although emotional pain is the same in any relationship IMO. Just do what you're comfy with & I'm sure if's she's as great as you know she is it'll all work out! (*hug*) I know since I met my girl, I've been pretty happy & chatting with her is fast becoming one of the highlights of my day!

6. Mitchell

If you want to, go for it... can always make plans to be together in the future.

7. Hazel

I know several couples who started dating online, and are now living together or even married. It's not for everyone, but it is a reasonable alternative if you're willing to go the extra mile and you think you can handle extended periods with no physical contact. Not really worth it if it's going to be more than a few years before it can be offline, though. You need real plans for where you're going to take an online relationship.

#7 Hazel, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  8. Noir

Thanks, everyone! You're all wonderful!

I'm scared, though....I just found out that a girl asked her in real life just asked her to go out. So maybe once again I'm second best and the possibility is over before it even started...? She told me directly and said she wanted to ask me before giving the girl an answer. It flustered her since a girl had never approached her directly before, so we decided she would take a few days to think about it and let the shock wear off before making a decision. I told her that it wasn't my place to tell her what choice to make, that she should do what will make her most happy. Maybe it's better if she doesn't choose me after all...:frowning2:

9. query

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    unless you live close enough to this girl to meet in real life, i would not recommend it, it just isnt real enough in my opinion to last. also since it is over the net, people act differently and if you meet in real life they may not be what you where expecting. also there is no sitting at dinner laughing, kissing or just hanging out ... i just would not do it.

10. Noir

I guess you're right...and I'm actually more of a touchy-feely person at heart where I want to touch people that I like. My friends at school get hugged and poked a lot. XD I don't think I could be completely satisfied where I can't even touch the person I'm dating or look them in the eyes. It wouldn't be worth it for me, and I would probably get very lonely.