1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ending a bad friendship? (more of a rant)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ichi42go, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Ichi42go

Okay, I know that this isn't entirely relevant to the forum, but I sort of feel I need to rant/ hear any advice. It has very little to do with being gay, but it's equally distressing for me at the moment.

My best friend has driven me off the edge. She and her boyfriend were at one point the two most important people to me I could think of, but she changed. She has gotten overly possessive of said boyfriend, and it has resulted in me being hurt very often. Some days, she would cancel plans with me to be with him, leaving me alone. She spends all of her time talking about him, or complaining, or worrying about him, but never gives a second thought about me. She made it very clear to me that she is concerned with him, wants him only, and pretty much the only reason I am still around is because he and I are friends too.

This summer, he left for 7 weeks. I decided I would test my friendship with her. For seven weeks, I avoided the urge to put her first. I offered myself up for fun when available, only to be shot down time and time again, but I didn't let it bother me. The entire summer, all she has done is mope that he is away, look for pity from everyone about it, and make it obvious that she didn't want anybody around, unless it was him. :dry: I decided I was finished with it, and I found new people who actually care about me, want to be around me, and make me feel significant.

Here is the problem... Her boyfriend has returned, and he and I are still as close as ever. He was peeved that she has been acting like this, and is likely to break it off with her, but for now, she still essentially owns him in her eyes, and expects everyone else to concede to that idea. Now this freaking hurricane screwed me over. :bang:

SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AT COLLEGE! She was supposed to have left saturday, and I wouldn't have to deal with her. I DROVE him to her house so she could say goodbye, while I had to sit in the :***: CAR! And then he made plans with me to spend the weekend at my house, just chilling, but then this idiodic storm moved her college move in date. :tantrum:

SUDDENLY, she is acting like we are best friends, trying to muscle in on our plans. With a single facebook post, she expected me to just let her swoop in and make me the third wheel while hosting her and him at my house. She NEVER asked me by calling, or texted, or anything. I ignored the post, and pretended I never read it.

Today, I picked her boyfriend up, and he asked me if I got her message. Now, I don't lie, so I told him the truth: She wasn't welcome, because she clearly didn't want to see me, only him, but I did offer rescheduling or letting them see each other for a while before going to my place. Here is the best part: He told me he was proud of me for standing up for myself, and totally understood. He wouldn't cancel or see her first, he was going to spend the day with me, just like planned.(!) But SHE refused to take that for an answer. She and he were on the phone for over an hour as she cried, lied, and tried to make him feel guilty for still coming with me. She badmouthed me, called me a liar, and ranted with me being able to hear every word she was saying. I am SO beyond finished He stayed by my decisions though, not telling her (can't blame him) but we talked it out and each decided it was her problem.

I am, however, feeling crummy. While I did have an amazing day there afterward, I still don't feel too great considering all that has happened. She has really hurt me for a long time now, and I want it to be over. But... How can I do it? :tears: If I don;t say something, I am going to have to deal with this as long as those two are dating, and I don't want to lose both of them because one is being an idiot. I am fighting the urge to tell her flat out before she leaves... because I am sick of being treated like this... but I am not sure that is a good idea, or even the right thing to do.... Can somebody please give me some advice? I am off the deep end... :help:

2. maverick

Tell her flat out before she leaves. That's my advice.

I was friends with a boyfriend/girlfriend couple from middle school through college (best friends with the girl before the boy, but the boy and me became a stronger friends) and she was SO JEALOUS of me and her boyfriend's platonic relationship that it literally made me hate her because of the way that she whined about it. It was bad in high school, but when we got to college and I came back from my away-college to visit him, it was RI-DAMN-DICULOUS.

She also treated her boyfriend badly - about like your friend's girl is treating your friend - which made me hate her even more, because he was my friend and I didn't like to see him being yell-whipped all over the house like a puppy that's pissed in the floor, just because he occasionally wanted to hang out with me instead of her (and she was not invited). She would also do MY-MAN-BITCH things like invite both of us to hang out with her, then drag him into her bedroom to have sex while I was there, leaving me to hang out by myself in the living room. (She was such a good little Catholic schoolgirl. :rolle:slight_smile:

*ahem* Anyway, the moral of that story is, I finally got fed up with the whole situation and ended up telling her that people are not objects, that she had no possessive right over either her boyfriend or me, and that if she was going to go around bitterly telling everyone how I was trying to take her boyfriend away from her any time me and him decided to go camping or to youth group together, she could go fuck herself.

Since that's the direction your situation seems to be heading, I'd get the confrontation out of the way as quickly as possible.

3. Yeah, Maverick's got it. Something's gotta give. You're gonna have to say something to her.

The good news is, your friend realizes how bad she's treating you both and isn't just taking it. He's trying to not be held down by her, which is good.

4. Ichi42go

Thank you both for helping me out with this. Maverick, you actually hit the nail on the head with the whole "telling everyone how I was trying to take her boyfriend away from her" part.

I did leave out what was a minor detail while posting this, but I think I need to bring it up before I take any action... just in case it makes things seem different. I grew up being friends with a set of 4 girls in my tiny hometown, because guys were generally jerks to me. These girls have been my "friends" straight through high school, but they never treat me much like one (ditching me for "girls night", badmouthing me when I did anything one of them didn't like, etc.), but I took the abuse and thought very little of it.

Now, the girl from post one has... through me... become close with these girls, and now, they are known by many as "the five girls". When they get together, I always seem to be targeted for something, and they gang up on me because i looked ot one of them the wrong way or some B.S..

It was when she joined this group that she became overly possessive of her boyfriend because they started telling her how she "should" be treated by him, and all of them would go after him and anyone who challenged that ideal. Now, in reality, I am finished with all of them, but silently, because they never pay much mind to me unless there is a problem, so if I'm gone, i doubt they will notice. I do know, however, that the moment they catch wind of all of this, I will be blacklisted and mistreated for a good few months.

I wouldn't care, if not for the following:
    Short version starts here: They are all convinced that I am in love with him, and want to take him away. And he is bi (recently out... actually came out to me first when I came out to him) so she is treating me like a threat. it is all total bogus. He is my friend. that's where it ends, and they wont take that for an answer All that I want from all of this is to be left alone. I ended up nearly suicidal a few months ago because of all of this crap, saw a counselor, and decided I need to eliminate the people who make me challenge my own health. But they are relentless. Now, I know I need to talk to this girl, and I need to ignore the rest of them until they get the picture. But during that time, I am worried that I am going to fall into a slump with the onslaught of idiocy they are going to throw at me.

I don't feel great venting here, because I know it's not really what this forum is for, but I need to somewhere... I do think I will take your advice, however, and talk to her.

5. Noir

Woot! That's awesome that you were able to tell her that! XD I totally agree.

A lot of times in life, there is no way to sugar-coat things just to make "her royal highness" feel better. You've gotta just tell it to her straight.

Lol, here's a song from my favorite musical of all time, Hello Dolly, that would fit the bill quite nicely! XD "So Long Dearie" from Hello, Dolly! - YouTube

6. Dalmatian

Definitely tell her. It doesn't matter what they think about your feelings/plans towards him. Hell, it doesn't matter if it is true that you are trying to "steal" him from her. She still treated you like shit and there's no excuse for that. After all that's been said, you are not likely to get back to being friends with her. And because of yourself, let it all out and tell her.

And on another note, whatever she's like, no matter how much she deserves it or how right you are, if you are at all a decent person of course you will feel horrible because of the whole situation. Sorry about that (*hug*) And it's great that her boyfriend reacted like that.