1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

friend faking been LGBT to get LGBT scholarship

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by littleoldme, Aug 28, 2011.

1. littleoldme

so it is the time when scholarship applications are starting to be due so me and my friend where going though an online scholarship data base the other day and one scholarship came up and one of the main criteria was that you had to be LGBT and my friend saw it and was looking at it and was like to me "do you reckon i should pretend to be LGBT just to (insert amount of money) " and i just kinda looked at her not sure what to say (she doesn't know im not straight) and she was like ok im going to do it... i still didn't really know what to say so just made know comment... but it kinda annoyed me... its kinda like what gives her that right... like that scholarship is made for people who fit that criteria to me its kinda like if i applied for a scholarship to do with business management (just random example) when im doing landscape architecture and i put on there i was doing business management when im not. its dishonest and just not right!!!

ok rant over i was just wondering if you guys agreed with my angry towards the situation or am i over reacting?

#1 littleoldme, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, of course faking being LGBT to get a scholarship is wrong on many levels.

If it were me, I'd actually email the scholarship provider and let them know... as well as calling out my "friend" on doing that. Honestly, personally, I probably wouldn't keep a friend that would find it OK to do something like that.

3. Mad Man L

I would dob her in. As mean as it may sound, it is for LGBT people only. The course was 'made' for a certain kind of person, and to take it just because you can is wrong really.

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's very wrong. I would report your friend. That scholarship was made for people in the LGBT community and someone faking their way to receive it makes them wrong and not worth the title of "friend".

5. littleoldme

do you think i should confront her about it? im a tad worried if i do she will find out im not straight...

6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People do foolish things in their youth. I think if they learn a lesson out of it, they're not necessarily a write-off.

7. maverick

I think you should confront her about it. And probably come out of the closet with her while you're at it.

I know it's not the best circumstances to come out to her, probably, but sometimes you don't get to pick and choose. I came out to my landlord because he was standing right in my face making homophobic remarks about how all gays were molested as children and couldn't be trusted around them (not knowing I was gay) and I couldn't stand to listen to it anymore, so I piped up. [I'll tell you, I have never seen a more soundly humiliated redneck in my life.]

It's like if he had been telling n----- jokes behind closed doors and I pulled off a mask and was like, "Guess what? I'm BLACK bitch."

Sometimes straight people need to be reminded that there are gay people everywhere. Usually that some time is when they're doing something really stupid. Like what your friend is doing.

8. FruityFascism

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually Laughed out loud.

As for your friend, you really should just tell her how you feel. If you don't want to out yourself, just say a person you know is LGBTQI, and that it wouldn't be right to have it taken by a hetero.

[btw, can I get a link to that scholarship info please?]

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's an absolutely ridiculous and pathetic thing for your friend to do, and you should NOT even stay friends with her. I personally would slap her upside the head...though I'm a guy, a gay guy, but a guy none the less and I would never approve of hitting a girl in any way, shape or form. Anyway, yeah I would call her out, and I would probably also contact the scholarship contact if there is one listed to inform them. That sort of scholarship was/is made for students who are of the LGBT community and it exists often because of the hardships and bullying and how we've pushed past that, and it's also for students of course who are in financial need.

So yeah...I don't like your friend and you need to drop her.

10. Veronica

What a thoughtless and mean thing to do. I hope the problem is that she doesn't actually understand how important this is to many people. I think you should talk to her about this.

11. littleoldme

i think im going to find out if she going to go for it and tell her she shouldnt coz its not there for her im not mentioning anything about my not been straight

i dont think it would be very usefull for you the other criteria is your a New Zealand citizen lol

12. FloatingPiano

I think it was very wrong of your friend to do that. She could be potentially taking that scholarship away from someone who genuinely fits the criteria, and really needs the money. I would definitely confront her about it.

13. feelindown

feelindown Guest

maybe the friend is actually gay and in the closet and this was their way of coming out to you in a safe way and a slow way. you dont know what's going on in their head so you can't really say they are or are not gay even if they are telling you they aren't and only doing this to get the money.

secondly, if they want to lie about it, what does that have to do with you. you just apply for the scholarship. the best person will get the $. and i mean really, what are you going to do...call the gay pink triangle police and accuse the student of impersonating a gay person?

thirdly, maybe you feel like they are making fun of the gay plight and in a way disrespecting it to get some dough. i can see your thoughts but unless you are going to write to teh scholarship board adn say "i know for a fact they are not gay and u shouldn't give them the scholarship" then i think you need to drop it or just discuss with your friend that being gay is not an ez thing and the scholarship was created for people in that category and buy applying and potentially taking it from someone else that can actually use and and fits inside the category.

14. ezkill

Feelindown,

I agree with your points here, except for maybe the second one. It has nothing to do with her, except the fact that she loses out if her friend isn't gay and is awarded the scholarship anyways. The point of this particular scholarships is not just that the best person receives the award, but the best LGBT person. It would sort of be like someone winning the "Special Olympics" when they were over-qualified (i.e. not physically/mentally handicapped).

Anyways, I agree wholeheartedly with your first and third points. Although I find it unlikely that this is how someone would come out, you never know for sure. You could always ask if she is actually LGBT or not.

The best thing to do in this situation is confront her about it, in as nice and civil a way as possible, and tell her that it offends you that someone would potentially fake that information for a scholarship. Don't scold her for it, because you never know how she will respond -- if she is truly a friend, she will probably feel really bad about it, and learn a lesson from this experience. The way to educate non-LGBT individuals about LGBT issues is through compassion and understanding, the same way we expect them to treat us. You don't help people empathize/sympathize with your feelings through making them feel like the enemy.

Littleoldme: Think of this as an excellent opportunity for you to educate your friend on some LGBT issues. You don't even have to come out to her to do this, the opportunity presented itself to you already!

#14 ezkill, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a feeling that they're simply not going to accept your friend's "I'm totally gay" on an application on blind faith. I don't know if they'll go looking for past sexual partners or anything, but it won't take much work to look her up on facebook or something. And I'm guessing her profile won't match what she puts in the application.

Lex

16. Zontar

You mean to tell me they actually have LGBT scholarships?

17. Noir

I think that's really insulting to us. It's petty and dishonest (no offense to your friend, it just disappoints me that someone would do that).

I wonder if I should send an anonymous tip to the college to let them know....just have them make sure and verify that someone isn't faking. Although, when you think about it, that would be kinda difficult because of all those of us "still in the closet" who don't really want it to be broadcast that "Hey, guess what--I'm gay and I can get a scholarship for it!" It's a sticky situation...><

18. Stuie

Yup, they're mostly for people who have faced disadvantage to their education for being GLBTIQ though. I can pretty certainly say I didn't. Stupid overly gay-friendly school. The funny thing about that though is that I probably felt more excluded because of it, because you had the clique who were really really out and proud and then anyone who didn't fit into that mould was kind of neglected. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: