1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help approaching guy.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lodiug, Nov 27, 2007.

1. lodiug

There's this guy at school that I like. The problem is that I don't know if he's gay or straight. I would like to know him better but he's always with his friends and I when he's alone I don't know how to approach him. I need help and probably alot of confidence too.

2. SpikySpice

Well, you shoudl make friend with him 1st. Just come to him whne he is all alone, and ask his name and striek up a little conversation, taht may give him a hint that you are gay

it may feel uncomortatble at 1st but as you try to go alogn with teh talk, it's gonna get easier

Juts relax, you know what to do

3. lodiug

Yeah but if he's not gay....he might tell people that I am.

4. Defender

Defender Guest

Hi =)

Do you both share any kind of common interest? Classes together? If so, maybe try bringing something from a lesson up etc. I have no experience myself, so I don't know what else to offer, sorry:goodluck: .

-Tez :slight_smile:

5. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    If you have any common friends, that'd be good too, because they make excellent excuses to hold a conversation with him and get to know him better. Also, I don't know how it is for you, but at my school if I told someone I was gay and asked them to keep it a secret, they wouldn't go around telling people maliciously, so if you become friends it might be easier than you think to hint at/tell him that you're gay.

6. SpikySpice

It's not neccessary that he know syou are gay, I say it may mmake he think you are gay, but in general, when a guy strikes up a convsation with another guy, he just think it's social, not a big deal

You can say that he is cool, or if he is in a sport team, say you liek the way he plays or stuffs that guys normally talk about

7. lodiug

I don't think we have anything in common. We're strangers to each other, and I don't know anyone who hangs out with him...

8. SweetChaos

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Introduce yourself! Get social....perhaps ask him if he would like too join you in tossing the old pig skin around. Meh I dont know or maybe find out what he likes through other people and then strike up the conversation about it.
    Goodluck

9. Zak

Zak

I have the same problem. I asked the guy and it turned out he was bi soo it allw worked out. don't worry, ask him.

10. GoBabyGoGo

me too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: im really shy and when my mind was yelling "sit next to him on the bus god-dammit!" my legs just kept on walking! I've had the biggest crush on him for at least four months and its so frustrating cause i don't even know him and if i tried to talk to him i feel like i would have nothing to say and get all embarressed... i think he's gay

11. justjoshoh

Well you do go to the same school. Do you have any of the same classes? If not the same class, perhaps the same class just a different time. If so, when you get assigned a relatively difficult or time consuming task, catch him in the hall and strike up a conversation using that as an ice breaker.

You: "Hey aren't you in Mr. Smith's 3rd period Government class?"

Him: "Yeah?"

You: "Can you believe he is making us write our own court opinion for Marbury v. Madison? It's going to be like 300 pages of reading the Supreme Courts opinion and then trying to write our own."

Him: "Yeah, and it is due on Monday. I was going to the basketball game too, I don't know if I'll have time now."

From there, maybe ask if he would like to share notes on the case so you both might have a better understanding and so forth.

Everything that we do, does not have to have a gay context to it. We can just be ourselves and get to know people as friends. If you do that, and later on you want to ask or answer questions fine. But you can't expect a sweet ear of corn on the table without cultivating the crop first.

12. lodiug

Wow, I've never thought of that. We don't have the same classes, cause that would be alot easier. But your advice is really good...thanx! Now I gotta have confidence to walk up to him..
    I'm scared.....

13. justjoshoh

Well much like you can't enjoy an ear of corn without cultivating the crop, you can't walk on the moon without taking that first step. That means nothing ventured, nothing gained. You've got to be able to go out and face the fact that you can befriend someone. Not everyone is going to become your friend, but you've got to make an effort. Without taking that first step to introduce yourself, you'll just be stuck in the lunar lander and some other astronaut comes by and delves into the lunar surface.

14. GoBabyGoGo

Ok, so what if this guy you like has nothing in common with you; no common friends, classes, sports, interests (that you know of yet)?? Im in the same position and wanting advice too, so... yea.

Its great to compliment someone on, say, something they are wearing, although in my situation i only see him at school and we wear school uniform, so its like "ummm... nice school uniform! :thumbsup: "

15. GoBabyGoGo

im scared too... (*hug*)

16. justjoshoh

Polyamorous, the key is to network at that point. If what they say is correct, there are six of fewer degrees of separation from any two people. Maybe a friend of a friend knows the guy and knows an interests of his. If it turns out to be something you know little or nothing about, learn some things. Much like a job interview, you should know a little about position before take it on. Tell the friend of the friend of the guy that you are interested in it as well and see if you can get introduced that way.

For example, if the guy is into reiki learn a thing or two about it and see if you can get introduced to him because of the interest. You need not be a master at the interest, but as long as you can carry a short conversation about introductory aspects, it would get your foot into the door.

17. lodiug

You're advice really rocks!!! But I haven't seen him for a while. Our school teachers are on strike and only a handfull of students go to school so I don't see him that often! Damn those teachers!!!:tantrum:

18. Alexander

Well, you can also do a bit of spying. Look and see who he checks out. Walk past him in the hall and listen in on his conversation. Meet some friends of his and start hanging out with them first. Just find out about him by slipping comments to people you know, and see if they know anything about him. Ask your friends if they recognize him from somewhere, because you think you know him. Stuff like that will get your knowledge if not your courage up. :slight_smile:

And I hope this strike ends soon, because it's never fun to go without your daily dose of hotties. :grin:

19. Jonathan

I wanna start off by saying that there has been a lot of great advice posted and that I'm in the same situation as lodiug and polyamorous. I should probably tell you right now that I don't see myself just walking up and starting a conversation...I have nowhere near the confidence to do that...

It just figures that last year, when I actually had a class with him, I didn't have a crush on him...

20. GoBabyGoGo

reiki? lol i know, just an example!

Yeah i might be able to find out about him from a friend of a friend... thanks for the good advice!

And yeah i have sorta been "spying" on him (lol he is so hot, i don't know how anyone could keep their eyes away!) and i seriously reckon he is gay... i dunno why... probly mostly stupid stereotypical things that don't even apply to me, like he cares a lot about fashion and how he looks, most of his friends are girls, mannerisms, etc. haven't caught him checking anyone out tho...

im sad now cause here its the christmas holidays and i won't see him for 8 weeks!