1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by slowly, Aug 30, 2011.

1. slowly

Hi guys!

As my previous threads have said, I'm slowly working on coming out fairly late in life. I just wanted to update everyone with where I am in my process. I have made some new friends through a theater group I belong to and the other night the conversation turned to relationships. We all went around the table and told a short bit about if we are seeing someone, how it's going, etc. Usually these conversations frighten me to death and I usually come up with some witty thing to say to avoid actually answering the question. More often I stay clear of social situations altogether for fear that this may come up.

But when i was asked this time, a strange thing happened. I literally could not wait for everyone to turn to me so that I could tell them that yes in fact I do like guys. I didn't go into details and certainly did not tell them that I am not even out yet. But I did say that there's a boy I like who recently moved away and it has made me a little sad - which is true.

It felt so good to speak the truth and I felt so safe among these people even though they are virtual strangers/very new friends.

Then yesterday, a guy that I met at a bar and hit it off with a few weeks ago but have not been in contact with since messaged me on facebook. He was drunk and the messages were mostly sexual in nature, but he said that I was hot and that made me feel really good. I would rather that he messaged me for a date or to start a friendship, but the fact that he thought to randomly tell me I was hot in his drunken haze really gave a boost to my ego. This is literally the first time in my 30 years that someone I was genuinely attracted to and did not meet through an anonymous hookup situation went the extra mile to contact me. The fact that he is younger than me and really cute boosted my ego even more :slight_smile:

On a side note, I wanted to let everyone know how much I've enjoyed being a part of the EC community this month! Not only does it give me the chance to get advice on subjects that I'm not always able to talk to people about in person. It's also nice to know that I can help others with their situations. I may not have this gay thing completely worked out for my self, but it's nice to know that I have had some experiences and gained some knowledge that can help others.

2. Mr.Pushover

That's great! I'm happy your confidence is building like it is!

3. Jim1454

Good for you! Talking honestly about your feelings for another man with your theater group friends was a HUGE step to take! Congratulations!

And sure enough, nobody freaked out. They took it in stride. That's the advice Lex often gives - talk about your life as if everyone around you already knew you were gay. They'll figure it out quick enough, and 99 times out of 100, the conversation would even miss a beat. It will just carry on just as naturally whether you say 'he' or 'she'.