1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you date someone transgendered if they were still their birth sex?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by maverick, Aug 31, 2011.

1. maverick

I can't really think of a classy way to ask this question....

Lesbians: Would you date a transgendered FtM with no intentions of transitioning? Would you still be attracted to someone if they were male-minded but female-bodied, or is it too much like dating a guy?

Gay guys: Would you date a transgendered MtF with no intentions of transitioning? Would you still be attracted to someone if they were female-minded but male-bodied, or is it too much like dating a girl?

Both groups: What about dating someone who represents as your gender-of-choice in every way except for genitalia? Does plumbing trump all other aspects of physical attraction/secondary sex characteristics?

Bis: How do you feel about dating transgendered folks? Since you're attracted to both genders, does it matter less to you if the mind and the plumbing don't match?

2. I would most definitely date an FtM with no intentions of transitioning. I think that it would be nice actually. I get along with guys really well mentally, but their bodies just don't get me going.

As for dating someone who is entirely female except for their genitalia...I'm a kinsey 5. I am sometimes (but very infrequently, very inconsistently) physically attracted to a guy. If I fell for someone who was a girl, but who happened to have a penis, maybe it would work? I mean, I don't know, it would honestly depend. But I would be open to try. I'm not about to deny anyone based on that alone.

3. Prccgeek

I'm bi and although I have never dated anyone who considered themselves to be under the trans umbrella, I think I would be very open to it. I have definitely had crushes on trans men in the past.

4. Leif

Sorry, not really answering the question. This is something that has really been on my mind too though. I plan on getting top surgery but most likely won't be getting bottom surgery and I'm wondering what people's thoughts on dating/being with someone like this would be.

5. StarofMiyu

I completely understand Leif's plight because....F2M got the short end of the stick when it comes to surgery...

I'd date anyone no matter what, don't see the point in limiting myself.

6. Jim1454

I can imagine dating a MtF who wasn't going to transition. I'm physically attracted to men - no question - but emotionally I'm quite comfortable with women. I would expect that could work for sure.

Having said that - I wonder if the two of us would be on two different planes...

I'd feel like I was gay, dating a gay man. But my partner would feel like a straight woman dating a straight man, even though she had the body of a man. Would my partner even be intersted in dating me, as a gay man? Perhaps they're more attracted to straight men?

This is a tough question with an untold number of answers.

7. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would never definitively say "yes I would" or "no, I would not". While so far I have been exclusively attracted to cisgender men, I'm not opposed to dating anyone, as long as I develop real feelings for them.

That said, if I try to make a judgement based purely on imagining the situation, I think that I would have the least trouble dating someone who's FtM, rather than the other way around.
    If there's anything I like in guys, it's their fundamentally male minds, rather than purely their bodies (not that there's anything wrong with male bodies :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). So I think I'd have an easier time developing a connection to a guy who just happened to be in a girl's body than vice versa. If I'm into the person, I'm sure I can handle any plumbing issues.

8. Hazel

I'm not too sure about FtM. A large portion of the reason I date women isn't due to a disinterest in the male body, though that's also a factor. If they act, think, and connect like a guy, having female plumbing isn't going to suddenly make us compatible when it comes to a relationship, because that's only a small part of why I'm a lesbian in the first place. Guys don't give me what I need for a fulfilling relationship on multiple levels.

Dating an MtF would be fine, though. Coping with dangly bits is a small price to pay for a fantastic woman.

#8 Hazel, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  9. maverick

This is exactly why I asked this - because I know I'm going to get a shit-ton of different answers. Keep 'em coming guys. :grin:

This is one of the reasons I'm curious about these questions. For me personally, dating a lesbian would - for me - feel like I was just a straight guy (who happens to have the tits/clam combo) dating a girl. But I'd like to think my overwhelming feeling on the matter would be, "I'm dating So-and-So, and I don't care how people perceive us." (And actually, I feel like dating a woman would "put me in touch with my feminine side", so to speak.)

But as far as dating guys goes, I have always found myself more attracted to gay guys than straight ones. I dunno, I think it's just an aspect of being attracted to femininity regardless of the package. I do know I'd be more open to dating a gay guy than a straight one. But I would feel sort of insecure dating a gay guy too, because in the back of my mind I would probably constantly have some kind of hurtful inner monologue going like, Doesn't he want to date a real guy? Is he going to cheat on me because he's primarily attracted to men? Is he just dating me because he's still insecure about being with men? Can he find me sexually attractive if I don't have "the goods"?

I wonder how many gay guys feel this way? I mean, is it "c*** or nothing" for most gay guys, or are toys (ahem) a reasonable facsimile?

What aspects of masculinity turn you off? I have been told I am masculine in the way that I carry myself and speak (which I think is because I carry myself with confidence and speak confidently - are women not allowed to do that or something?). I'm independent, rebellious, stoic, competitive...things people generally consider masculine traits. But can't these traits also be feminine traits?

The whole butch/femme thing really f***s with my head.

10. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, my answer is: Yes, I would. In the end I would be dating them because I like them for who they are, not because they present a confusing gender identity. If I was dating a transsexual who was male on the inside, would that make me change my sexuality? Probably not, because I don't believe in love based on gender in the first place.

11. Hazel

Traits like the ones you mentioned, I actually like in women. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I never really look at the butch/femme thing myself, because it's not so much about how overtly masculine someone is or isn't as it is about male/female dynamics, from the conventional to the commonly-seen to the simply biological.

I instinctively see myself in the "man" or "protector" role, even though I'm not tramping around in army boots or whatever a butch is supposed to do. I don't like strict adherence to gender roles or stereotypes myself because they're mostly bullshit, but when I consider that this would have to be a guy who's happy to let me be the lead in slow dance, bear the children or opt to adopt, be delighted at the more-often-loved-by-women affections I'm inclined to show, etc, it starts to become a "needle in a haystack" ordeal to find a compatible male, let alone one who really fits the picture of what I want in my future and what I want out of a relationship.

(oh, and then there's the penis)

12. Raeil

I can't give a definitive no or yes, as it would depend on the situation, but I believe I can say it would be difficult for me, as a gay man, to date a transgendered FtM with no intention of transitioning. However, I think I would find it easier to date a transgendered MtF with no intention of transitioning.

So far, I've been exclusively attracted to the male body type, so a relationship with an FtM would be rather difficult to establish in the first place. If I were to somehow end up in a relationship, it would still be rather difficult to continue it, as the attraction to his female body would likely be overpowered quite easily. His mind would be fine, and being in a relationship would mean mind overpowered body on that one, but I don't know how easy it would be to move beyond the physical.

The main difficulty I see with having a relationship with a trangendered MtF with no intention of transitioning is the mental state. I'm in love with the idea of having a boyfriend, and I think I would find it difficult to have a boyfriend who was actually a girlfriend and continue remembering that she is my girlfriend, not boyfriend. I think it would be easier, quite honestly, to get into a relationship, but maintaining it would be difficult. Plus, if she ever did decide to transition, that would cause my brain to do odd things after the transition. I'd be 100% supportive, but I don't know if I'm gender-blind enough to continue with the relationship after the transition.

Oh, and I have a feeling this might change as I get older and actually have dating experience.

13. Sadepeura

I would if I was attracted to them because in the end I don't think the gender matters. Genitalia shouldn't be the reason. But generally I'm just not that attracted to male-bodies. It would be a bit complicated, but if I was attracted to them, I would. And then it might not be complicated because it was THEM who I was interested in, not what they had between their legs.

14. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As long as I was attracted to them I would date them. I don't think that their gender matters. I believe that people are people and it does not matter what gender they are or what gender they identify as.

15. maverick

Okay, new variable: Would your willingness to date a transgendered person depend at all on whether they asked you to treat them like their preferred sex?

Ex. Could you date a MtF who identifies as a woman, but still allowed you to treat her as "your boyfriend" in public? Would a gay guy be willing to date a transgirl no-op/pre-op and actually say, "Yes, this is my girlfriend?" Or would it be too confusing with regards to your own sexual identity?

Because personally, it doesn't really bother me anymore when people say things like "she/girl/etc..." to me (though I might roll my eyes a little) and I would never expect my girlfriend to introduce me as "her boyfriend" when it's obvious to the casual observer *coughofmychestcough* that I am not anything more than a "boifriend". :grin:

My three year-old foster sister knows me as her sister, and regardless of how masculine I look or act, I doubt that's going to change anytime soon. My parents do not verbally acknowledge me as male (though they acknowledge my personal feelings about my gender identity and are accepting of them) and I doubt that's going to change, either. However, role-wise, since coming out I have been encouraged by my family to gradually step into the male role in the household - grilling, yard work, fixing stuff around the house, etc..

In other words, I would have no problem with my girlfriend introducing me as her girlfriend, even though I mentally identify male. Me being transgendered just seems like something that would be a personal thing between me and my girlfriend and her level of comfort with it. It's not something I would go around spreading at the club or anything. (Not really anybody's business...)

16. Nope. As long as I loved the person and our relationship was working for both of us in all regards, I would treat them like whatever sex they feel they need to be treated as. Whatever they prefer is what I would give them. That has no bearing on whether or not I'm willing to date them. It's really only about if there's the right kind of chemistry, the right attraction, the right connection. It doesn't screw with my identity either way. My sexual orientation and my attractions are my business and I can be with whoever I want to be with and be okay with that.

17. Zontar

Ohhh, that's a tough one. I personally place high value on sex in a relationship, so I think for me, what would matter more is if everything downstairs was in working order. I think that would be more an issue for hermaphrodites or post-op transgendered people though.

If you're asking whether or not I would date a biological male/female who asks me to treat them like a female/male...that would certainly be a very interesting experience and one I would not pass up. I'm one for adventure in bed and the thought of one gender acting like another...hoboy.

#17 Zontar, Aug 31, 2011
  18. Kidd

Kidd Guest

This is actually really hard for me to answer because even I'm a little confused about it, personally....

I've seen FtM people that I've been attracted to. I'm sure I could fall in love with them, and have a great relationship. I don't know if I could actually have sex with them though if they didn't have a penis, but sometimes I think maybe I could get over it, which confuses me because I identify as completely gay--not even a little bisexual.

I try not to think about it too much, honestly. If I meet and fall in love with someone who is transgendered, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, but I'm not going to close doors or rule out an entire group of people.

19. maverick

Eh, I dunno, I don't find it that weird. After all, a FtM is masculine acting, and (mostly) masculine appearing, so if you're attracted to men, the crotch-gear is really the only major dividing factor.

And as far as that goes, FtM can give you any kind of dick you want. They're customizable! :lol:

If you're really into going down on a guy, I think it could throw a wrench in the works. But a FtM guy can go down on another guy as easily as a cisguy can, and look basically the same doing it.

I would think gay guys would more willing to sleep with FtM the more androgynous/masculine they are (aka FtM who are already flat-chested to begin with). If you are FtM and have a hyper-feminine figure, then I imagine it would be a lot harder for a gay guy to ignore the fact that you are in fact not biologically male.

---------- Post added 31st Aug 2011 at 12:30 PM ----------

^ Oh, and boobs. But don't gay men love boobs too? :lol:

#19 maverick, Aug 31, 2011
  20. Veronica

Plumbing makes a difference to me, but I'd date a post-op MtF, no problem at all. I think my ideal partner is a bisexual woman though.

An important consideration is that I do want kids. Having kids is actually a big factor as to what I want to do with myself as well in my choice of partner. Otherwise I might considering getting my plumbing reshaped. My male bits I've never cared for much at all anyway but they're kinda necessary for the baby-making.