1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever been gay bashed?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by maverick, Aug 31, 2011.

1. maverick

Just what the title says. I had a girl start a fight with me in the high school locker room after bullying me for months, but I don't really consider that gay bashing because she didn't use any slurs or anything against me at that particular moment. She was just trying to fight me because she was a fundamentalist Christian and I was queer. (Go figure.)

I also don't consider it gay bashing because I won the fight. If you get attacked for being gay and beat the crap out of your attacker, were you still gay bashed, or are you then a gay basher? :lol:

I've been verbally harassed on the street though. For some reason usually in traffic. Guess it really makes guys feel manly to shout slurs from a moving vehicle. :rolle:

A few weeks ago a carfull of teenagers pulled up behind me at a red light and were flicking me off and yelling things. Wonder what they would have done if I'd put my car in park and got out?

I don't think I could have beat four guys, but at that point I was so mad that if I had gotten out of the car, I would have gone to the hospital trying.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Certainly not physically. I've had a couple people call me "faggot" or something, but nothing to any degree that I recall with any great clarity.

Lex

3. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't been bashed

but this, yes. The other day I was crossing the street late at night, and there was a car stopped at the traffic light. They shouted something at me as I was walking past.

They like to do it either from a moving vehicle or when it's late and there's no one else around.

4. txnathrt

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've had the tar kicked out of me a couple times, my ex and had our house vandalized regularly and I hear fag and queer a lot ...

5. StarofMiyu

My sister does it to me alot, happens to me at school infrequently

6. Ben

Ben

Yeah, I've been verbally and physically assaulted on a few occasions, but I've never been badly hurt or anything. The worst was late last year from someone I knew for a couple of months who was progressively acting worse towards me until it came to an ugly conclusion. I learned from that that it's sometimes right to just completely cut out people and not just to take it.

I've been called out on the street a fair few times, which I usually ignore. I walk around late at night sometimes between places on my own, I've learned it's best to just zoom past the drunks and cross the road or try to get around with someone else. I've not had any major physical problems with strangers, though, but I've been close a couple of times.

This is something I've only experienced in the past year, so it's something I'm still learning to deal with. I guess I've noticed that people can be total assholes in the right environment for them, and ignoring abuse is only the right way to go if it's a one-off, non-major event from a stranger. Don't be afraid to go and seek help or contact the police, because at least then you feel a bit more in control about it all.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was called different names in high school, only because I did not dress like the girly girls. I was not even out as bisexual in high school. I also had people attack me at my school for the same reason...

8. RaeofLite

Yea, moving vehicles are bad. People think they can bash people because no one'll call them on it and its not like you can catch them (especially if you're walking on the sidewalk).

I've had my share of filthy looks, or girls pull their boyfriends closer to them and other immature things like that too. And also whispers amongst girls a couple years ago when I was in college and would walk past groups of girls.

9. maverick

Man, I can't even imagine someone doing this to you, Rae. :frowning2: You're gorgeous! Hell, if I was a straight girl and you hit on me, I'd be flattered, not disgusted. Much less talk shit about you behind your back.

I honestly don't understand the mindset of people who do stuff like that. Bigots will never understand what it's like to be gay, and I will never understand what it's like to hate someone for being who they are when it doesn't hurt anyone else.

10. Zontar

I've never been strong-willed enough to put myself in that position.

11. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never overtly. At high school I used to get subtle physical stuff, stuff that could be passed off as an accident, life elbows in the ribs when in a crowd or whatever. And a fair few dickish comments. People didn't tend to bash people at my high school, instead they'd just freeze people out and send rumours flying, and as I was already a loser when I came out, I was a handy victim.

12. daedalus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I haven't outside of family but my brother was with coworkers in a car and they stopped one of the guys in the car from yelling slurs out the window at a guy who "looked" gay. But the only reason they stopped him was because they were on the clock, not because it was wrong. They were like "Do it on your own time." to the coworker. From what I hear about them, I can't imagine what they'd do to an openly gay male coworker. He told me how they used to talk to the lesbian one they had and their comments to her were off-putting. The "All lesbians need is a good dick." kind of comments.

13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Moving Vehicles are always a bad thing... My marching band's practice field is right beside a busy main road. So specific people get made fun of and the group as a whole gets made fun of... not fun to deal with:icon_sad:

14. Danny19

nope. and im grateful for that. but then again im not fully out. but i hope everything stays the same. and idk how i would handle that. i dont take shit from people. so i feel like if someone talked shit i would attack lol. but i dont really do anything without thinking about the consequences

15. Tiny Catastrophe

This is actually a kind of weird one and I don't know if it applies exactly but you can judge it. One of my best friends (who is bi) has an extremely homophobic mom and sister. Now her sister knows that my friend is bi (and not on purpose) so she attacks her physically and calls her a fag and a lesbo and stuff like that. Now we'll get to where I come in. I met her sister ONCE and keep in mind she knows absolutely nothing about me including my sexuality. For all intents and purposes I was straight as far as she knew. Her sister is EXTREMELY judgmental and narcissistic (yes this is important). So as I said I met her once and it was for literally 5 mins when I picked up my friend. Her sister than proceeded to tell her that I "look" like a lesbian (I dress and act and look feminine and that's the first time I've ever been told that) and I'm this huge dyke and she couldn't stand that I stepped foot in "her" house and how I'm disgusting and this and that. Another time we hung out at my friends house and her sister and her friends were there and her sister again, after I left, was saying the same kinds of things about me and then proceeded to yell at one of her friends for having a conversation with me and being nice to me. I'm dead serious for those of you doubting me atm. Now keep in mind I have been nothing but nice to this girl and my friend flat out told her I'm straight (yes that's a huge lie lol) and she still won't stop. So basically I'm not exactly sure how to categorize that but I felt like it fit in somehow here

16. cityofangels

cityofangels Guest

No, not really. Although I haven't really come out to too many people. I look feminine so if you just saw me walking down the street you would probably never know. Although just a few months ago two guys were beaten up by three guys on the Hawthorne Bridge in Portland for holding hands.

17. RedState

I have not, no.
    But it's interesting that (from many of the replies) a lot of cat calling comes from moving vehicles. I guess cars are somewhat like the internet except with 4 wheels...everyone is always 10 feet tall and bullet proof behind the wheel of a car or a keyboard :slight_smile:

18. Leif

My "fun filled and exciting" experiences with being gay bashed started in the fifth grade. I would hold hands with one of my best friends and some kid called me a dyke. Didn't have the slightest idea what it meant so later at home I asked my older brother and he sat me down and taught me a few things.

In middle school it got worse. In the halways people would bump into me, push me down or kick me. Being called names was a normal thing. During luck kids would throw ketchup and food at me so I started wearing a hoodie every day so I could shake and wipe it off so I wouldn't be covered in food all day. Every Friday was fitness Friday and we'd run laps around the field. It was like a game and every time someone passed me they'd call me q number of things but usually fag or dyke. There was a corner of the field that was covered and teachers couldnt see it from where they stood. A handful of times I'd get roughed up a bit. One a few guys ganged up on me and held me down while their friend masturbated on me. They told me I just needed to give them a chance to "fix" me. (I should explain that at this time everyone at my school believed me to be lesbian)
    I walked home and was beat up once or twice a week. Had my ribs broken and a few teeth chipped. On one occasion I was beat up and sand was forced down my throat till I blacked out. I started carrying a knife on me after that.

High school was better. Got roughed up a few times but I started fighting back. And then it stopped. The physical stuff did at least. Still got called names every so often but it didn't bother me as much anymore. And then it got really weird and my senior year it actually became Popular to be gay or bi. I was like "WHAT THE CRAP MAN. Not cool."

The funny/odd thing was about a year after graduation I started getting Facebook messages and emails from people that pretty much made my life a living hell. Some of them would apologize. Most would act like we were the best of friends. I've read a few books about it, like Please Stop Laughing At Me. It's crazy how different some people remember things.

I live in a small town now but it also has a huge population of lesbians (which is pretty dang awesome). Just today I was in town with a friend and some teenage guy asked me "hey you one of those butch dykes" usually this would make me kinda mad but he was totally serious and sincere looking. So I told him kinda sorta and he gave me a thumbs up.

So yeah. I've been gay bashed quite a lot and still get some crap for it now and then. But I'm really hoping the world will finally move beyond that.

19. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Agh, some people can really be scum. Can't believe some are sick enough to be so hateful towards a person :/ I have the outmost respect for whoever is able to stay himself/herself despite the abuse and taunts.

As for me, luckily I haven't had any physical abuse or people trying to intimidate me so far. I have gotten the stares when I'm out with my group of gay friends or with a guy, but honestly I only notice them when people point them out to me.

I did have this incident while I was on a family trip, though. According to my family there was this group of guys laughing and pointing at me. You know, the usual ridcs stuff. I never noticed it, but my mom did and holy shit was she mad. She went up to the group of kids, explained to them that I was her son and that she couldn't be prouder, and then she stormed off. It made a scene and people stared, but fuck my mom was beyond amazing that day :slight_smile:

20. Fiddledeedee

Not really, no; then again I have only been out at school for what, 2 months? And I act very straight. I have had a few insults and some people no longer respect me as they used to, but there are no real problems. I have heard bad things about LGBTs, but they were not aimed at me and not meant to hurt. I tend not to notice if someone comes in my face and says something anyway; I have to actively listen for it. I think it may get more serious as I get older. :/