1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you ever...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sloaners, Aug 31, 2011.

1. sloaners

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before you were out as gay, did you ever act like you were straight around your straight friends? For example with my girl friends, I would agree with them about how some guy is super attractive or something. Or act like I was interested in him, but really wasn't. I think guys are physically attrative, but I never really enjoyed dating one.. but I would act like I did.
    I haven't recently, because I'm becoming more confdent with my sexuality, but looking back I did. It's embarrassing, really. But I was wondering if anyone else did the same thing?

2. query

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i do it all the time. not neccessarilly because im afraid they'll think im gay, i mean i can still tell when a chick is hot or not!

3. Sadepeura

Not knowingly, but unconsciously I did. Like I would put up posters of men that I thought were quite cute and then when my friends would tell me how hot they were I would agree with them. And most of my walls were covered with posters of females and I would actually just drool them but because my friends never commented on them I never realised what was going on. Although all the men were hidden somewhere behind my door or something where I would never even look up those pictures, they were there just because there was a patch of ugly wall paper I needed to cover. Yeah, that's what 15 year-old me did. The whole thing is quite embarrassing really. Does that count?

4. bsolitaire

yes, i totally did this. i feigned swooning over male celebrities. I even went out on dates with men, but i squirmed at their attempts to hold hands. I couldn't fancy kissing them on the lips.

I thought I just haven't met the right guy, but in retrospect, every major crush i had was a female.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't recall ever having done this. I do recall saying a certain female celebrity was hot way back in 1984, but that was less pretending and more "pushing something along because I wasn't sure if I was doing it all wrong". I mean, I DID think she was cute, but I didn't pant after her...but since I figured that was more than other female celebrities did for me, I should just go with her.

The whole "Oh, wait, I think GUYS are hot" revelation was still a few years down the road.

Lex

6. Noir

What if I act straight 99.9% of the time except when something wreaks of masculinity--like when learning about *cough cough* birth control and safe sex in a health class and almost getting sick in a matter of seconds? Not meant to offend guys. I have a borderline androphobia (an abnormal fear of men). Other than this, I can seem as straight as anyone minus talking about cute boys.

I can get along swimmingly with a guy so long as he treats me very clearly as a "guy friend." I start to panic though if it turns romantic.

7. addie88

i dated three guys to try and prove to others (and mostly myself) that i was straight.

it didn't work out so well.:roflmao:

8. Gallatin

I usually just nod and approve when my guy friends point out a girl they find hot, while I'm looking at their boyfriend haha. I have dated a few girls (and actually had a pretty fulfilling relationship with one), but the others have been hollow shells of relationships. Sure, I care about them, but only as one does for a close friend, not bf/gf.

9. Sadepeura

How does someone seem straight without talking about cute boys? What would I have to do/not do? :astonished:

10. feelindown

feelindown Guest

yea and i still do it. i pass as 100% straight to cut down on confusion.

11. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've done this before although usually I just try to side-step those kind of conversations and talk about more neutral subjects. I pretended to have crushes on boys when I was younger so I could tell friends about it to feel normal. However I'm not really out to everyone yet so I still do it at times. I think it's really common for lesbian/gay/bi-sexual/etc people to overcompensate by acting like they think someone of the opposite sex is attractive.

12. maverick

"OMG he's sooooo hot!!"

<_< ... >_>

-_-

13. Leif

I "act straight" around the majority of my extended family. They're great folks but I come from a very oldschool Hispanic/Italian family and I'd rather not cause drama. Around my immediate family I just don't bring it up. Huge issues with my mom. So I just try to lay low. Oh and around my old best friend. She's a lot a bit on the crazy super religious side. I don't know how she hasn't realized it though, Ive brought girlfriends over to her house in the past. Pretty sure she's in denial.

14. Dykezz

Yes I remember acting straight. Especially when I was in deniel about my sexuality. I would get so uncomfortable when someone would ask if I liked a guy or if I had a boyfriend. At one point I think it was written al over my face that I wasn't interested in guys, but know one ever asked if I was gay. One day I just decided that I wasn't gonna lie anymore about how cute I thought some guys where. I'm not out to everyone yet so when someone mentions a cute guy I just nod and get this fake smile on my face. I hate those moments.

15. preacherskid83

So true. Gay or not, a hottie is a hottie, and I shall look upon them and smile

16. coastgirl

yeah. I mean, I won't lie, some guys are attractive. I just don't find them sexually attractive. It's weird...I get confused sometimes because I can be physically drawn to a good looking guy, but honestly I wouldn't want to kiss them or hold hands with them. I like their appearance and that's about it.

17. Raeil

I know I deliberately never listened to Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, etc. because I was under the impression that if I listened to them, then my friends would know I was gay... Yeah, that was pretty dumb. I also attempted to go out with two girl, which also didn't work out, but other than that I've never consciously acted "straight."

However, I did a LOT of acting "asexual." My church had a major moratorium on relationships while you were in a youth leadership position in the church. This worked out great for me, as I was consistently in a youth leadership position, and I couldn't date anyone, let alone guys for the majority of high school. Of course, now I'm a Junior in college and haven't even gone on a date, lol. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. jll2755

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Of course I did and still do. Just because I am gay doesn't mean I can't tell if a girl is attractive. So I still give my opinion. But I aslo don't hang out with a lot of guys.