1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression from Work?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Revan, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So lately I've been feeling really listless...like I've gotten in this funk and it all started around second week of August when my manager broke his hip, and that's when it started going downhill more or less....basically with my co-worker being taken up often with his second job, I was the one they turned to all the time, taking away the days I originally had off, asking me to come in all the time. Now don't get me wrong, I know this could be seen as them trusting in me, relying on me, etc. Thing is...the manager from a different store along with the regional came in and just changed EVERYTHING. I mean in some ways it made it more organized but same time, it made it different, a huge change. Maybe it's part of my Asperger's, or just how I am, but when a change happens, I withdraw, I cringe, etc. I've been seeing a counselor and when I expressed my feelings, she tried to tell me to look at the positive. But now going back to school, the boss from the other store in my city basically wants me to work Friday to Tuesday...when I have class Tues to Thurs. While I have two classes this semester and only one per day (one of them is over two days) you'd think I could easily manage working 5 days a week, but one of the classes is Math which I basically bombed last semester and need more time to study than just two days....

I realize that this may change, if they hire a third person (they've hired a new person as the temporary manager, though apparently they also saw my manager D walking around downtown which raises the question why he hasn't contacted anyone since the hip three weeks ago...not regional manager or anyone else, and my co-worker had given his leave notice for the end of August at the beginning before the hip break) there may be a possibility of the person working the Tuesdays, and instead of me working 9-3 on Saturdays, because the manager apparently can't even make it in until the 3-6 remaining hours (which is an unheard of type of shift on Saturdays or frankly at all. My employer I don't think ever has people work 3 hour shifts, it's four or more.), maybe it'll return to the normal 9-2 and 2-6 shifts. Now the person from the other store isn't a bad woman, she's actually quite nice, but it's just....I feel as though she's taking advantage of me here and there...like she basically asked "do you have evening classes" when I asked for Tues - Thurs and Wed is the only evening I have. Again I realize that yes, they're up the creek right now because there's only me and the temp manager, and her and her two employees at the other store have to also maintain their own store of course, but its just basically I'm coming home now feeling miserable, sometimes going to sleep for a couple of hours and just feeling pretty much like crap and dreading my next shift...

I know I shouldn't quit...because then they'll really be up a creek, and asking for a reference for example would basically be like saying "hey I did shit, can I get a good reference?" even though technically I didn't do shit, I've worked my ass off for everyone so far....but right now its just, I'm feeling so horrible, and feeling so exhausted, and just everything, I don't know what to do.

Now before you guys respond with things like "at least you have a job" "at least you're working in an okay job, not slinging manure or working in a sewage plant" or "at least you're earning money", please don't. I've heard this time and time again....I don't need to hear it on repeat. I more am just wondering what you all think is going on with me. I mean is the whole listlessness, sleeping, miserable feeling post-work possible depression, not severe but still slightly? Is there anything I should really consider doing, because trying to think and stay positive is easier said than done...Plus I really don't want my studies effected due to work overwhelming me..which on one hand may not happen as I generally work evenings, but it still could...what with how bad Math is for me. I barely passed the other math course I needed and that was without having a job taking up half my time. I have applied for a financial assistance job program at my school...just waiting to see if I actually qualify...but again, I want to leave but I don't want to leave them high and dry now, when they need help more than ever.

So yeah...this was me asking both questions about the symptoms, but also slightly to rant about how I'm feeling. It's just getting so overwhelming and I feel like...I want to tell my parents for example because they know how stress gets to me, but same time, they really want me to tough it out because what's the point of work study if I wind up hating it too?

So that's it....
    Thoughts? Comments? Statements of pith and merit?

2. feelindown

feelindown Guest

im going to be honest. i didn't read all of this. but if you are depressed from work you have 4 options.

1. quit the job and look for another one.

2. stay and the job and deal with it as best you can while you look for a new job

3. confront whatever situation that is depressing you and tell them things have to change and deal with the aftermath of that confrontation.

4. stay there and keep complaining.

pick one of the options, accept it, and move on.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I spose it is possible...1's kinda out because it would make more sense to have another job before I leave one. 2 or 3 are probably the best things...

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so that's it huh, there's no other advice anyone has, no one will say if they think its a depression or not...hm.... Don't get me wrong, I love you guys...I just was hoping to hear from more of you....kinda struggling here...

#4 Revan, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011