1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not knowing who to come out!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by itIsMe, Sep 3, 2011.

1. itIsMe

I feel I need to come out to one person. So far, I'm only out to one ex-classmate and, as he lives in another city and has a very busy life, he's not being very helpful :/

Problem is…who I should come out to? I have like 3 "groups" of friends:

- The oooold friends: These are the ones that I know from years. We went together to school and so. They know me very well, and I'm like 99% sure they know I'm gay. However, they are, for me, the most "dangerous" people for hang out right now. They are dare to ask me compromising questions, which I don't like at all and only get me frustrated and depressed. That's the reason I'm reticent to tell any of them that I'm gay. These questions and behaviors they may have towards me are always in a bad way, to "laugh at me". Finally, because of how uncomfortable I feel when I'm with them, I only hang out with them if necessary, and this has cooled the friendship.
    Nevertheless, maybe one girl of this group could be the "target". She has other gay friends, so I'm sure she'd take it fine. But again, it's like I'm upset that she (and the others) could have been better friends that what they have been…

- The actual friends: These are my university friends. All males, what scares me a bit :S I get along with them, and they are the "actual" ones. However, I don't find the courage to come out to any of them. They are more colleages than friends, and I'm afraid they won't care if I tell them. Almost sure they will accept it, but will they support me/be with me/care? The same I could say for my "old friends": as the friendships have never been strong, maybe they don't want to listen to my problems and just say "Oh! So you're gay? Ok, whatever, get out of my way…".

- The new friends: That's 2 girls I met some time ago. We're getting to know each other, and they seem nice people. Our friendship is like a blank notebook, there are no good nor bad moments, and they can't intuit what type of person I am. The problem with them is just this. The first person to come out (in a decent way) should be, in my opinion, someone who has known you since years ago, and someone whom you are pretty sure that will care for you. This 2 girls won't have this…and the other friends doesn't really fit my "idea" either.

So here I am…not knowing who to tell the truth. Maybe I'm too perfectionist? Maybe there's no right person?

Oh, and last but not least, I would come out via email, because it scares me the hell out, and I'm still not 100% accepting it. However, I think the last bit of acceptation will come by starting to be out…so this is why I'm doing this. Do you think it's a good idea? :S

Any thoughts on this? Thanks EC! :icon_bigg

#1 itIsMe, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011