1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom can't stop crying since she found out I'm gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by davekardle, Sep 4, 2011.

1. davekardle

three weeks ago my mum found out I am gay, she is always crying and telling me that I'm not gay! she is really conservative and religious. She sent me to see a christian therapist but I told her that the therapy was useless. She can't stop crying and now she doesn't talk to me. What do I do?

2. addie88

first of all, i'm so sorry. that must be really hard on you.
    at this point i think what you have to do is just wait. i know it's been three weeks but sometimes it just takes time. some parents need a couple minutes, some a couple days, and some a couple years. you've had your whole life to figure out and process your orientation, so she needs some time to think about it too. everything will turn out ok in the end-- it may be a difficult process but just have patience and always be willing to talk with her when she wants to and answer whatever questions she has.

3. ChutneyFarmer

I'm sorry things are so hard for you right now. I'm glad you have been so quick to realise that seeing a therapist WILL NOT change your sexuality any more than it will change your favourite colour. As for your mum, everyone responds differently, but most go through the stages of grief. Reading more about them here may help you understand what your mum is thinking right now. I'm sure she will eventually realise that god loves us all - even gays. She is probably just having trouble adjusting.