1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I stop trying to like guys (I'm a gay girl)?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by apondinaforest, Sep 4, 2011.

1. I recently came out as a lesbian, but now I wish I had come out as bi. I don't like guys romantically or sexually, but I can't let go of them. All my life I've tried to have a protector, some man who really loves me (got daddy issues), and I think I would feel really insecure being a lesbian. I can't stand not having the attention of men, I become easily obsessed with any who pays attention to me. Then when things get romantic (on their side), I flee as quickly as possible. The way things are right now, I see myself denying I'm gay, calling myself bi, but only dating guys all the time. I see myself in unsatisfying relationships with men, just for the sake of not feeling unloved by them. I don't want to be like this anymore. My love for women is strong, but very neglected because of this obsession. It feels good and right to be with them, for just a little while... Then I start thinking about guys again. I'm pretty confused because that would make me bi, but being with men sucks completely, I hate it. Could any one shed some light on this???

2. LegitRomance

Then don't fuss over it and just accepted that your actually bi.

3. A couple of things:

First off, you're making the assumption that you can't get the things you get from guys from a girl. Gay girls are all different personalities. Some more passive, some aggressive. Some protective, some, like you, that prefer to be the protected. And many of us are a mixed bag when it comes to stereotypical guy/girl traits.

Next, if you're aware that you have some issues that are making you feel this way, have you considered going to therapy? If it's possible, I seriously recommend it to anyone who's having trouble with anything they're doing in their life--but especially those of us who feel stuck in a cycle we can't break free from.

4. Yeah, that makes sense. I guess I got used to searching for romance from men, and not really considered I could actually find it with a woman. I'm kinda learning what it means to be gay, I guess.
    Actually, I do go to therapy, but I don't feel comfortable discussing sexuality with anyone, except in here, where I'm anonymous.

5. addie88

Don't let your labels define who you are and what you do. Just because you've deemed yourself lesbian doesn't mean you can't date a guy or two.

Let the person that's right for you find you-- if you try to look for him OR her, you'll just be disappointed. Go with the flow. :slight_smile:

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is something I'd like to second. I'm really the protective type, whether I'm with my friends or with a girl, but more so with girls. I'm the type who'll give you my jacket, or walk you home if it's getting late, that kind of thing. I do take care of and protect the people that I love. So yeah, that's definitely something you can get from a girl as well as from a guy.

7. VentinIntrovert

I sorta of have a similar issue... except i'm gay... I think it's always important to have a best friend of the opposite sex, whether they are lesbians (so cute), or straight...

8. Aya McCabre

There's a world of a difference between wanting a man and wanting stereotypically male qualities. Something to think about.

9. Sadepeura

I have a little bit similar problem. For instance, I went to an old car display yesterday and I just kept dreaming how cool it would have been to live a couple of decades ago and be picked up for a date in one of those cars. And I just kept thinking about that it would be a guy I would go on a date with. But I wasn't interested in the idea of a guy, I just cared about me going on a date in one of those cars. Then I started thinking what's wrong with me. And realised that I would actually be a lot happier if it was a girl who picked me up in one of those cars. :grin:

So yeah, I think you just can't let go men because you are imagining what a traditional relationship would be like and haven't yet settled in your mind that you can have all the same things with a woman.