1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treated Differently?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sdc91, Nov 28, 2007.

1. sdc91

For all the out people, are you treated differently by your family and friends now that you're out?

I just don't want to be treated any better or worse because I'm gay and this is really making me hesitant about coming out because I'm almost positive that certain people in my life will want me as a "gay" friend and try to get closer to me while others will shy away from me.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. biisme

ummmmmmm....i'm not out to my family, but all my friends are great. we're still great.

3. Level N Human

All my friends who I've come out to treat me just the same. Given though, that I tested the waters on their stances before divulging this information.

4. nope, not treated differently at all

5. pirateninja

One thing about my family is that my dad has stopped telling gay jokes, and sometimes it's awkward when gay things on TV are mentioned. By my parents don't treat me any differently because of it.

6. Louise

My son and I are closer since he came out. We talk more openly about relationships and our feelings :icon_bigg and his dad hasn't changed his attitude one iota and still manages to say as many hurtful, thoughtless things as before :icon_sad:

So the only changes, as far as I am concerned, are positive ones.

I think you would soon pick up on people who only wanted to be friends with you for the novelty value of a 'gay friend' so I wouldn't let that stop you doing what you feel you need to do.:kiss:

7. lodiug

The people I came out to aren't treating me any differently. We're actually closer then ever.

8. SpikySpice

People treat me the same, they are till my family and my friend

Th ematter is not you are gay/bi/str9, the matter is your inner person, how you treat and response to others

Someday, human will have to understand being gay/bi/lesbian is as normal as straight

9. Zak

Zak

I have the same problem right now.

10. Tom

Tom Guest

im now treated the same as ever but it takes like 6 mnths - 1 year for ppl to fully accept you and that, but after tht intial shock most ppl wontn treat u differently fortunately =]

11. xequar

I think my parents and I are closer now. Beyond that, everyone still treats me the same.

12. Zak

Zak

My Q is: will arogant teens accept thatone of their friends is gay???

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes, you will find out who your real friends are. Guaranteed. :slight_smile:

14. sdc91

I guess. I don't want to lose any good friends, and a lot of my friends are kind of conservative and get grossed out when I bring up anything gay.

Guess I'll find better friends or something. lol

Then again, maybe they'll grow up when they actually know someone who's gay.

15. balin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This week has been the the emotional rollercoaster of my life and its not over. I am 25 and finally admitted to myself that i am gay, deep down i have known for a while but could never admit. I am in the Royal Navy and enjoy it very much, but being in this job i found hard to come out.

On Sunday i told my mum in starbucks that i was gay, she was very supportive, and so were my sister and dad.

Today (Thursday, a really really long day that i am glad is over) i admitted to my work mates that i was gay, i told them at the end of the working day so i would not have to see there reactions straight away, but tomarrow is d-day for me, for 1st time i will receive how people treat me for being me.

I still have many friends to tell outside of work, i know for sure one of them will never speak to me again, but i hoping that the rest of my friends will accept me for me.

No matter how many people i tell its still does not seem to get any easier, but for me once they all know i will be happy with myself and living my life.

The people that dont want to know me from tomarrow i will just have to forget about.

Many thanks to this site i wish i found it earlier - sorry if my post not totally irrelevent.

P.S so nervous about tomarrow

#15 balin, Nov 29, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  16. Zak

Zak

Congrats Balin.

17. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

The only thing that really changed when I came out was that I can now talk with my friends and family about being gay. Aside from that, no one treats me any better or worse.

18. KazMaz

KazMaz Guest

Well at least you've taken the first step, saying it out loud. (*hug*)
    As for telling people outside this community, even I haven't had the courage to do that, so well done. That takes guts, but being in the RN, I suppose that just comes naturally.
    Anyway, well done, and hi. :smilewave

19. Jim1454

My mom and dad have not treated me differently at all! They've not really talked about it since I told them - but that's OK. They haven't acted any differently towards me either, so that's fine with me.

20. SweetChaos

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well when I first came out too my group of friends back home all the girls stopped being touchy feely flirting with me bu other than that they slowly warmed back up too me so No not so much.