1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something really bothering me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Azza, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Azza

The other day my mum said something to me that, well made me really angry "Men with other Men move around a lot, they can't stay in relationship because there's no-" I have no idea what she was about to say because something cut her off. We rarely speak about my sexuality and I don't really want to bring it up with them, but what she said has really pissed me off. I mean what experience does she have with gay men? She has no gay friends, in fact prior to my coming out the only gay things in her life were the trashy stereo types on TV.

I mean gay men do have lasting relationships, don't they? That is what I want. Where does she get off telling me that all gay men are promiscuous. I REALLY want to call her out on it but to be honest I don't like bringing it up around them because of all the ridiculous statements they come out with. The funny thing is we were actually having an alight conversation about it, then WHAM she comes out with some silly statement like that :bang: When I try to correct her on these things she says I am "Romanticising" about it and that I will probably never be able to stay with a partner, or have kids (You know like adoption and stuff), which is what I want.

Although this is mainly just a rant I want to know for sure that what she said was in fact a load of rubbish and that gay men are just a likely to have committed relationships than straight people. Thanks for reading this anyway. :icon_wink

2. Aya McCabre

I guess if you want to drop hints you could get really into Elton John?

*hugs*
    The best way to deal with things like that is with evidence. If she has no real life examples to go off then it might be a good idea to provide some.

3. Bi As A Kite

My dad's really into Elton john, and....oh. :eek: :lol:

I suppose he & David Furnish are porbs the most famous homo couple in the world. I saw Elton on Piers Moron's Life Stories, and he said that every week, he and David send each other cards, no matter where they are in the world or what they're doing, that express their love for each other and happiness in their relationship.

I'd say that's good evidence that guys can get it together and keep it together (*hug*)

4. george678

I think what your Mum said is just a stereotype. It does happen but a lot of straight people sleep around a lot don't they?

I would just try and change her views and when you get into a good relationship, hopefully you can prove her wrong.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>"Men with other Men move around a lot, they can't stay in relationship because there's no-"

"...impetus to stay in one. I mean, it's not like they can get MARRIED or anything, right?"

Oh, wait, you're in England. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. maverick

The only reason that gay people have a problem with monogamy is that it is actively discouraged by the heterosexual majority. They want to think that our relationships can't work like theirs do. They don't want to hear or see us having sex, but they really don't want to see us as soccer moms in their PTA, where our "flagrant" homosexuality means that their kids will have to see us too, and recognize that we exist.

Fortunately for you, homosexual monogamy is becoming more and more reinforced by society every day though, and England is a pretty good place to be gay, seems like. Soon LGBT folks will have their own Father of the Bride style movies and fairytale romance tropes, predictably a lot of the same ones used by straight people.

7. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    There are certainly slutty gay men, but there are slutty straight people as well. The skanks tend to be the loudest and the most desperate for attention, but they're a minority.

8. predator9089

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is my perspective, probably wrong, but I believe men think more with their genitals than their head or heart compared to women, thus when it's two men involved, it is harder to have a committed relationship. There are loads of committed gay guys of course, but this simple fact of life remains and was actually mentioned on Glee by Kurt's father.

9. Azza

Thanks for all the replies guys, it just annoys me when she says stuff like that because she genuinely believes what she is saying and in her own twisted and unhelpful way she is trying to give me advice. England isn't that bad for being LGBT and hopefully they will legalize gay marriage here. :slight_smile: