1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't trust straight guys (except for a few that I personally know)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LowestVocal017, May 3, 2006.

1. LowestVocal017

Hey all!

I just want to say, for those of you who were bold enough to come out to other guys, I commend you for your boldness. :king: :king: I would never have had the guts to do it.

Seriously, except for a few close friends and close choir friends (I'm in the vocal music program at my school), no one really knows I'm gay and accepts homosexuality. My advice to you who haven't come out yet, DON'T COME OUT TO GUYS UNLESS YOU REALLY CAN TRUST HIM. Again, those of you who have, I admire your courage.

Maybe it's just my experience, but I've know guys, especially at my school and well, my town to be pretty anti-gay. There are just too many examples of homophobia I've experienced, some that I've even forgotten about I'm sure, for me to call it safe for a gay guy to let outhis secret of his sexual orientation. I can't really say how guys are otherwise, except for some exceptions (I have a great friend who is strongly anti-homophobic), so to all of you, especially those who have my experience, DON'T COME OUT TO STRAIGHT GUYS! It can post a threat to your physical wellness, very well your mental-wellness, and even to your life!! I'm so not kidding right now! Be careful about coming out to them. As hard as it is for me to say these cruel words, they can be your worse enemy. Be safe, come out SAFELY!

~~LowestVocal~~

p.s. I look forward to the generation in the future when gays, lesbians, transexuals, and questioning people don't have to hide their sexual orientation because society opens proudly to them. But for now, I do not live in that generation. So guys, I just want to tell you I care for all of you. Please come and post so I know you're doing okay. This is a great community! (&&&)

#1 LowestVocal017, May 3, 2006
    Last edited: May 3, 2006
  2. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Thank you Lowest for posting your opinion. But i think that it is slightly unfair of you to isolate a particular demographic like that. I mean there are just as many homophobic girls as guys, straight or otherwise. I thank you again for trying to protect anyone from emotional and physical attacks, but i dont think its fair of you to strike such terror into anyone contemplating coming out to a heterosexual male. Ive had many great expierences comnig out to straight guys who are totally ok with it and treat me the exact same as before they knew. I know you've had bad expirences, and sorry for that....but i dont see the need for you to teeter the scales for anyone else. Although there is a slight elevation in the chances of homophobia in males, there are just as many girls who will attack you too. Sorry if this seems angry or verbal assult in any way. Im not saying that you're wrong, just saying my expirences and my beliefs. Blessed be!

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really? Do you have any info to back that up?

I'm not saying your proposal is wrong, just trying to point out that I don't think there's any hard and fast evidence either way. I would certainly anecdotally claim that women seem to deal better with the whole gay thing better than guys, and I have my own theories as to why that is, but I don't think I would ever claim that there are quantifiably more (or less) homophobic men than women.

I think it's really important to attempt to gauge people as individuals and to realise that with something like coming out, in many cases all bets are off as to how someone will react. Even if you think you have all the factors figured out--like culture, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, etc.--people can still surprise you.

4. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

That's what i said. I said there is just as many homophobic girls as guys. The ratio of course will vary with the afore mentioned by joey. I have three totally homophobic girls in my class....and they've actually told people so.
    So you shouldnt single out a whole demographic, you have to "guage as individuals" (i basically meant the same thing, you put it in better words than me)

5. live805

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    i agree with lowestvocal. straight guys tend to be more judgemental and homophobic. except when they arent. but that is somewhat rare...
    i

6. LowestVocal017

Proud, guys on the whole are more homophobic than girls. I don't know where you got your statistics, But from numberious experiences from many different places (again, atleast in MY town), I do say to be more cautious around guys unless you really know that they aren't averted to gays. I feel more safe with girls, and I'm sure there are many gays who would say the same.

Guys verbally say to you they aren't homophobic, when really, they are unaware of what they really are. I've grown up to not trust them in general. Of course, I d o make friends with some straight guys who really aren't homophobc as I learned them to not be. Still though, it's a good bet to say "be careful around guys," as in my first post in this thread. No doubt, there are indeed girls who are anti-gay as well (I didn't say there aren't). One girl doesn't like my homosexuality, a nd I have heard another two years younger than me who's already claiming what conservative adults claim, that "homosexuality is morally wrong."

But back to guys. If you look at the statistics in hate crimes reported, which group stand out more? Men or women? As a matter of fact, I have yet to read ONE article which talks about a female committing a hate crime towards homosexuals. The ONE closest story that I have read is the girlfriends of the two murderers of matthew Shepard were also jailed in the Mattew Shepard incident. The girls didn't commit the murder (who knows if they were homophobic); they were jailed for helping their boyfriends cover up the evidence. And the cover up wasn't spurred by a feeling of hate, but a feeling of fear of what would happen to their boyfriends and themselves. Other than that, I have read anything about girls yet. Again, that is not to suggest that girls aren't homophobic, but looking at these famous stories of gays being hurt or killed and by guys, it is safe to bet that guys, again, on the whole are more homophobic. So really. Just be careful around guys. I don't want you guys to get hurt. That's all. :wink:

edit- I'll also say now with more emphasis to becareful around some girls too. In general, anti-gay women aren't as bad as males (I can bet!), but they too can be hurtful. Basically, becareful around everyone (duh!), but take caution espeicially around guys. That's what I have been trying to say this whole time. :wink:

#6 LowestVocal017, May 13, 2006
    Last edited: May 13, 2006
  7. live805

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    wouldnt it be great if all the gays in the world like pitched in money or something and we bought a country? then we could make the rules and everything.
    no more homophobes and all...
    but i know that even if we were free and all, i would kinda miss my straight friends...:icon_conf
    or at least some of them...
    but who knows?
    at least gay marriages would be legal
    ah well...
    nuther random rambling from me

but in general, i dont trust straight guys that much, as far as sexuality issues and all but sometimes you have to in other issues...
    there is no definite yes or no to trusting straight guys

i

8. LowestVocal017

Yep, same here. :wink:

You know what? I actually had a dream about that! The dream took place around the annual day of silence. Before that day, all the so-called "free" Americans went to the ballot to vote for or against gay Marriage. Unsurprisingly, the overwhelming majority vote favored the "against gay marraige" vote. It was then officical. Our LOVING president Bush past the marriage Amendment, allowing only a man and woman to marry. So all of America went on celebrating the "traditional heterosexual marriage" by going out to dinner, wearing t-shirts with two mars symbols in the middle of a red cirle with a slash, and just basically being "in our face." This goes on without saying that with the marriage amendment, they continued to pursue other areas of their anti-gay agenda, areas other than in marriage. Obviously, mostly every gay in America was outraged! Most of all, they all felt neglected! I don't know how I could do this in reality, but in my dream, I started recruiting all gays in the U.S. and in Mexico (Canada I wasn't worried about) and we developed a plan to leave the country. I thought that we just had to. We weren't a welcomed part of the population.It was around that time that I just so happened to have found a large island 1/3 the size of the U.S. in the pacific ocean (LOL!).

So, on the day of silence, many people did not show up to work, many people were missing from their homes, and the whole Castro gay community is empty, as well as other gay communities as well! So we all moved to the Island, which was named Santo Rollaco, and we were going to be there for a long while, basically forever! Back in America, many bosses were angry that their employees didn't show up. But they only learned in a month or two, the same gay employees didn't show for a really long time. Conservative teachers in high-schools and middle-schools also noted that the few students they know are gay have been absent for so long.

And LOL! What really sucked was that because we left, their economy dropped by 1/6th!!!!! LOL!

All of these findings that their gay employees, students, friends, and family members were missing spurred an anger across America. "Yeah, so they're hiding. This is just probably another of their ways to try to get gay marriage to pass," they would think. "We're never going to legalize same-sex marriage, they should STOP WASTING THEIR TIME!" Ehem, little did they know we weren't trying to raise a voice, and we weren't going to come back!! We left for good!

A few years have past, and stilll, those gay people were missing. They were starting to get a little worried! Even though they thinking we are perverted people living a sick lifestyle, they know gay people by person and they loved those persons by heart. So yeah, they were worried alright! A few more years have past (by now, about 10 or 15 years!), many people started really really missing their loved ones! While they were enjoying their heterosexual marriages and hetersexist lifestyle, they also began to learn about the naturality of homosexuality and that it was meant for us to marry people of the same sex. Eventually, they realized what they have done and began their search for us. "Where could they possibly be?!?!?!?!" they would cry. It was too late for them. They have learned sadly, we were gone for good and never coming back.

Now, the island. So all these years, as America have been wondering what happened to us, the gay paĆ­z de Santo Rollaco was prospering! Our technology went so far as developing a lazer barrier so that no heterosexual immigrants could enter. The technology also allow us to reproduce children. We were just living SOOOO happily with our marriage rights and our families! It was really emotional! At the end of dream, the finale song was sung, "Love Changes Everything," (a song sung in one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's musicals). It was so beautiful! We left America alone, went and started our own democratic nation, and we were free!! Americans never found the island and they never knew what happend to us! :wink:

So yep, that was my dream. There was a LOT more that happened in my dream than I could possibly say here, but that was basically what happened. I just felt like sharing this with you. :wink:

#8 LowestVocal017, May 13, 2006
    Last edited: May 13, 2006
  9. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Hopefully my point of view expressed here, will not cause a fight.

If were talking statistics....then i think this thread has elevated beyond most of our comprehensions.

edit- I'll also say now with more emphasis to becareful around some girls too. In general, anti-gay women aren't as bad as males (I can bet!), but they too can be hurtful. Basically, becareful around everyone (duh!), but take caution espeicially around guys. That's what I have been trying to say this whole time. :wink:[/QUOTE]

Well, look at hate crimes in general. Not just to gays, but other minorities and gang violence. How many females are a part on any hate crime. Men are proven to be more violent than females...it's built into their/our brains through the generations. Dont believe me? Look it up... Females are better at social violence....sneakier and more cereberally weighed. But that's beside the point.

Men are more likely to commit violent acts anyway. So if you're using hate crimes to back up your claims...IMHO i dont think its too accurate.

That doesnt suggest that males are more homophobic...Nor' does it indicate a higher level of homophobia than females. It can only prove that they are more liekly to commit acts of hatred and violence against gays. Females could be just as homophobic, and just as hateful, but silent. As i said before...females do it in a sneakier way...playing with other ways to attack...without physical violence.

10. live805

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    bleh...
    okay
    lets start getting on ebay and looking for an island or a country...
    or a death star...
    jk jk
    sometimes straight people are just so stupid.
    i wonder though, are the same chemicals in straight guys brains that make them violent present in the gay males brain?
    it just occured to me that what if thats the biological cause of gayness?
    bleh...
    i think to much....
    ignore me

i

11. spacelion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would agree for the most part. I told a couple people years ago and today we were kidding around at lunch and there's an in-joke in my choir that another guy is gay because he likes to dress that way and we're kidding around about it and then my friend whom I told years ago said something about me being gay and I was embarrassed and tried my best to cover it up. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. surfrboykai

do you really think that would solve anything at all? separate the gays from the straights? i find that thought borderline disturbing, imo

and sometimes gays can be just as stupid. i don't think it's fair to just say that only straights do stupid things

#12 surfrboykai, Sep 27, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  13. lewis15

It's okay, I don't trust straight guys either.:roflmao:frowning2:!)

14. Thank you for your post!

Although personally, I have a lot of straight-male friends whom I've come out too, and are completely supportive of me. I guess that's just my experience.

I'm really sorry that there isn't that level of trust and support from straight-males where you are.

To be honest, I've found better support in "younger" straight-males rather than "younger" females. Although oppositely "older" men are less supportive than "older" women. On either side I haven't experienced homophobia per se. Just what I've found in my dealings of what I consider support, those are who I've found to be most supportive and accepting.

Everyone's experience is going to be different. So, we shouldn't generalize a group. We don't like when people generalize the LGBTQ community as being promiscuous and such. We know everyone is different. So, why should we think that anyone else wouldn't be either?

Just try and re-think your post though. I'm certain you're a really sweet and intelligent person and didn't mean it to sound as it did. But, it was quite a blunt and ignorant statement to make.

You can never, ever be certain of how someone is going to feel on a subject. Sure, a lot of straight-males use the "That's so gay" joke. But, it's more stupidity than anything, they don't actually hate gay people. Just don't know how to express themselves in another way. I mean, if we're going on stereotypes: Guys are pretty dumb. ;P

15. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just pointing out that this thread was posted in 2006.