1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling trapped and lonely

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sesshomaru, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Sesshomaru

I just don't know what to do. I feel as if I'm stuck in the rut I'm in with no way to move forward. I'm now 18 with only one friend and she lives a 30 minute drive away from me and is a year younger so she's still in high school. I can't start college until spring and I can't find a job. I'm supposed to start driving school this weekend which would allow me to finally get my license, but even then I don't have a car. I'm stuck repeating the same daily routine of waking up at 8, watching tv until 10, and then trying to find something to do to pass time. Sure it might sound awesome to some people but I hate just being stuck at home with my mom, brother, and step-loser all the time.

More than anything I'd like to get out more but I also hate being alone. I've probably posted this before (and now that I think about it I know I did) but I'm absolutely terrible at making friends...sorta the reason I have only one. I'm so quiet and shy that most people either just ignore me or are too afraid to speak to me due to whatever mental image they've assumed of me. I live in a conservative neighborhood with no real "hang out spots" nearby besides two malls that are both like a 20 minute bus ride away from me. I'd just like to be able to have at least a few friends that I could randomly just go hang out with and have a nice time whether it's grabbing something to eat, seeing a movie, or even hanging out at one of our homes. Hell just talking to someone face to face would be a nice change. Having a boyfriend would be nice too but I really don't see that happening anytime soon since the few guys I've met so far have only been interested in getting in my pants while I'm more of a traditional type when it comes to dating and want to take things slow. That and I still haven't really recovered from my last pseudo-relationship.

I guess my real purpose for writing this is how could I meet people in an area with much of nothing nearby? Any advice or suggestions at all would be helpful.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's something I'd definitely suggest:

Volunteer.

It would get you out of the house. It would give you something different to focus on. It would allow you to help others. It would put you in front of other people, where perhaps you could meet some other friends. It would give you something positive to put on your resume. (Employers tend to favor people who "make good use of their time".) And it would make you feel good to accomplish something positive.

So perhaps get online and start looking around for places that might need volunteers even an hour or two a week. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never forget how many people use the internet. Billions of potential friends at your fingertips.

Volunteering is a good way to meet new people too.

I usually go for a walk every morning and afternoon. I meet quite a few people that way. Not all of them want to talk but there is nothing stopping me from sparking up a conversation with somebody.

When I was in junior high I really didn't have many friends. Being alone is one of the worst feelings I've had in my life. What really helped me out was talking to people. You know that guy you walk passed everyday on your way to the store?, the one you never talk to? What if you just greet him the next time you cross paths. I know it sounds silly but it really is that easy to make friends.

4. Jim1454

Yes - I was going to say the same thing.

In these difficult times, I'm sure there's a local food bank or shelter that could use some additional help. Perhaps a local hospital could use a volunteer to work in their gift shop or to visit with patients. Those things would all get you out of the house, allow you to develop transferrable skills, and potentially put you in touch with new friends.

What about part time studies? If you've got from now til spring to wait, are there any additional courses you wish you'd done and didn't? Or could you get a head start on college by taking a night school course?

5. query

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    well, for me i like a little routine, but obviously not for everybody. id say yeah volunteer would be your best bet in your situation.

6. Sesshomaru

I looked around online today and found a YMCA that I could volunteer at and see how it goes. I think it seems like as good a place as any to start off at.

Night school wouldn't really be an option considering how far I live from the nearest adult school. Not having a car in this area really seems to limit my ability to do much.

I've made a few friends over the years through the internet and while I do value each friendship highly, it just isn't the same for me as having a friend I can actually call to go hang out with or just talk to without having to use something like Skype, msn, etc.

7. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Volunteering is definitely a good start, I'm glad you've found something that gets you out and around.

The only bad thing about friends on the internet is that in most cases you can't physically reach out and touch them. The thing is though that they are still people, and just because you can't *bro fist* them in person doesn't mean you can't *mental bro fist* them online. The internet really is a wonderful thing once you use it to it's full potential.

8. Hazel

If you're stuck at home a lot, I'd suggest some new hobbies. They don't have to be expensive, but even if you pick up something like creative writing, model construction, etc, or anything to keep you occupied and make you feel like you've done something with your time, that can help immensely. I've had times where I was stuck at home a lot, too, and it drove me crazy, but that's why I picked up some artsy stuff that just requires an even surface, $20, and a few free evenings.