1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Girlfriend leaving to be polyamorous

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Queerios, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Queerios

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi!

I'm a queer monogamous femme coming to terms with the fact that my girlfriend of 4 years is polyamorous and that essentially we're in the process of breaking up because she wants to see other women.

I feel like polyamory is an ever-growing trend at the moment, and some people are even relating it to a sexual orientation all on it's own.

I'm basically feeling completely alone and without support because my friends are her friends, and they have a strict 'no dyke drama' policy.

Now that she's 'come out' as poly, it's really the only reason why we're breaking up. And before someone says, "Well, can't you just be cool with her seeing other women?" The answer is no. I've read the ethical slut, I am informed on what polyamory is and that it does work for some people, but I know it won't work for me personally.

Aren't there any monogamous queer people left? Anyone else been in a similar situation and have advice? :tears:

2. greeneyes

I can never do random hook-ups. My friends think it's that I'm not interested in anyone. It's that if the person is interested in me, it's me only sista. It's hard but it's worth it.

3. Melusine

I'm sorry. What a horrible situation. At this point, all you can do is pick up the pieces and move on. Some people are suited to polyamory, and some are not. It really would have been better if your girlfriend had been up front with you at first, but unfortunately she didn't discover who she was until now. :frowning2:

Good luck!

4. Queerios

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. That does sound like a sensible course of action, it's just hard to see it that way as the one who was happy in the relationship. I didn't really think I'd have to deal with this.

5. FloatingPiano

Hey, I just wanted to say I'm so sorry about the situation you're in, as it seems like a really tough time for you. I agree with what Melusine said, which would be to trust try your best and move on from her. Clearly you have different ideas of how you want the relationship to work. I'm glad to see, though, that you acknowledge the fact that you know it's not gonna work out, before you get trapped in a situation you don't wanna be in.

6. Katelynn

Hi Queerios! Welcome to EC! (*hug*)

While it's always hard to see someone we love leave, especially for reasons that seem to only hurt us, I think that, even tho I know you still have feelings for her, you may want to give her some time to realize who she's losing. She may decide after having her time away from you on her terms, that she has lost someone who truly cared about her. On the other hand, if she just wants to see other people & is polyamorous, as much as it hurts to hear & is hard for me to say, you may find that it's better that you both aren't together anymore, as she may have hurt you by seeing other women behind your back. I hope everything works out for you tho...

7. maverick

Well first, there's a lot of monogamous queers. If you browse through the threads, tons of people here at EC are desperate for a long-term, stable relationship.

Two, I completely relate to you, because there is no way in hell I would date someone who thought it was cool to date (or even just fuck) other people. We could be friends (I have befriended many a slut in my day) but I am way too much of a jealous bastard to allow that stuff to go on in my own relationships, either with my involvement or behind my back.

I don't agree with open relationships. Cool for you, not for me. Absolute dealbreaker, and if someone I was interested in said any of the following...

"I only do open relationships."
    "I'm polyamorous."
    "I don't labels."

...it would cool me off of them really fast.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm kind of prejudiced against people who are polyamorous, because I think it's dismissive of the emotions involved in sexual intimacy. It turns "making love" into "fucking," something done for entertainment value instead of to strengthen a relationship. And there is no incentive to strengthen ANY of your relationships, because guess what? If someone pisses you off, you have other lovers already lined up, so you have nothing to lose in being fickle.

I don't like that.

I know there's going to be some polys come up on here behind me and say that they
    ARE in several committed relationships at once, and everyone is fine and happy and there are no third (or fourth, or fifth) wheels.

And I look at them like this:

[​IMG]

8. Queerios

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lol. Thanks, that poster helped.

I know people who are in committed triad, but all 3 parties love each other and know what they were getting into when they started.
    My gf is in love with this girl who's her new best friend but that I've never met because she lives in a different city (and now intensely dislike).

---------- Post added 8th Sep 2011 at 07:59 PM ----------

Thanks Kiersten,

I know that this is something my gf has talked about. In her perfect world I would be her primary, and since that isn't going to happen I know that she's worried we'll break up and she'll want to get back together.

9. maverick

Mmm, for me menage a trois are different than regular polyamory. I dunno. It's not the same as someone saying, "I'm polyamorous, and I'll sleep with whomever I want, whenever I want."

A menage a trois is not a monogamous relationship, but it's close.

10. Queerios

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well at the moment my girlfriend thinks she doesn't want to just be able to sleep with everyone, just me and this one girl. She doesn't think it's possible to have deep meaningful relationships with more than 2 people at a time. I don't think that either, but she does want to have a deep meaningful relationship with this girl, it's not just about sex for her (as she tells it).

11. maverick

I'm sorry, there's no way if I were you that I could interpret it as anything but, "You are not enough of a lover for me."

Maybe that's insecurity on my part. But that's just the way I'd feel about it, and I don't think all the pretty words in the world would change it. This kind of situation would break my heart if it was my femme. :frowning2:

12. Queerios

Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Well that is how I feel, but I'm trying to be understanding. Coming out as poly wasn't easy for her because she knows that I am not. We had talked about it earlier on in the relationship because we were curious, but ultimately we had decided then that it wasn't going to work for us. She's changed her mind.

13. maverick

Ugh, that sucks......I don't really have any advice, but I feel for you.

14. Queerios

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Maverick, I appreciate it.

15. query

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    im with maverick, one on one or nothing

16. StarofMiyu

I kind of support polyamory because...I'd probably end up cheating because there are things about both sexes I enjoy...I know it's selfish to say I want both, but I want both...

17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure why your friends won't give you support because they're against "dyke drama". This isn't "dyke drama". This is a friend who broke up with her girlfriend. You don't have some long she-said-she-said of underhanded backstabbing and betrayal to relate. It can be summed up with "she decided couldn't be monogamous with just me, so we had to break up." The end. No drama.

Lex

18. Queerios

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it's slightly more complicated than that. Firstly, I don't want to break up. Neither does she (she tells me), she just wants to be able to have this other girl on the side.

We're both in the same group of friends and there's been a lot of big breakups that were majorly drama-y in the group which is why they implemented that rule. We're still in the breaking up process, we live together and we've been together for 4 years. I would prefer there not to be, but I still foresee drama to come.

19. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey,

First of all I would like to send you some online (*hug*) (*hug*)s you sound like you need them.
    Secondly I would say I think you are 100% making the right decision and I think whilst its very difficult you have made a brave and intelligent decision which a little time down the road you will be rewarded for.

In my opinion it sounds to me like your girlfriend wants to have her cake and eat it.

20. Queerios

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Random update: my girlfriend now thinks that maybe she isn't poly, she's just trying to sabotage our relationship because she doesn't want to be with me anymore.

Worst part: still love her 100% and want to be with her. Willing to put up with this crap because I love her so much and really think that even if we break up and I end up with someone else (which, if we break up I'm sure I would eventually), no one will ever make me as happy as she does. Minus the last few weeks, we usually have a wonderful, happy, and fun relationship.