1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do you do when

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Monique_Massacre, Nov 29, 2007.

1. when your dad is a homophobic and you are gay or bi (since i havent figured it out yet) and you dont want to tell him cause of his reaction to your brothers coming out but you dont wanna lie or hide it any more but you love your dad and he is one of your best friends but you know he will probly hate you if and when you tell him ..and your not strong enough to handle that

2. gsaid7

if your dad is really one of your best friends, he will still love you. if there's one good thing about parents it's their ability to love unconditionally. you never know, he might surprise you

3. i dont think so when my brother came out my dad beat the shit out of him and kicked him out and denied me all contact with him

4. biisme

omg....that's really extreme....was he close to ur brother prior...and are they still estranged?

5. yea him and jamie were pretty close and dad is still not talking to him jamie now has three beautiful little girls that are of his blood (born to a lesbian couple) that he and his boyfriend are raising and my dad wonts nothing to do with them

6. Zak

Zak

Thats soo sad.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Are you still in contact with your brother? Did you come out to him?

8. yes i did i am out to mybrother i am out to both my brothers and my mom i am pretty much out to every one but my dad and his side of the family they are all homophobic and i hate lieing to them like this

9. Louise

Gosh that really is hard to bear.

Just one thing, apparently your dad is quite a hot head which often goes hand in hand with stubborn. Is there any chance that he regrets his violent and excessive reaction but just can't bring himself to admit it?

If you could talk to your dad about this and see if there is any softening in his attitude. If your dad has any remorse maybe he won't risk loosing another of his children.

If you think there is a real risk of loosing your dad I would say bide your time. If you are lying to him it uniquely because he doesn't give you much choice. The fact that you are out to everyone else shows that you have accepted yourself for who you are so you are not really living a lie. Your dad is living a lie by living in his own fantasy world and not accepting reality.

The price for telling your dad certainly seems too high to me, but that is a decision only you can take.

Good luch

#9 Louise, Nov 30, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2007