1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any opinions on talking to school counsellors?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wylde, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Wylde

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've gotten to a point in my life where I'm ready to talk to people, and more importantly I'm ready to become who I see myself as. I need help though, as I'm often depressed and stressed for no reason, and if I don't have someone to vent my emotions to I over-think things and make it all worse.

Basically, I want to look into getting myself some counselling or therapy. My only problem with this is I'm not looking to come out to my parents as transgendered yet. I don't know how they would react, and my parents don't need more stress in their life at the moment (my mom recently started up school to get her Masters).

Because of all this I've been wondering about going to talk to my school's counsellors about things and see if they can recommend what to do. It's really my only option right now, as I have no way to get to the LGBTQ Group our city has, so I was wondering what other people's opinions on this was.

In my opinion, there are a few pros and a few cons.

Pros:
    Get help, figure out what to do and keep moving with my life.

Cons:
    They'll want to tell my parents, they'll be narrow-minded on the subject, I don't know much about any of the counselors at our school, and there is a chance other people at my school will find out and wonder why I'm going.

Opinions? Advice? Help?

2. ICTOAUN

I think that talking to some is a better idea than holding it in. I also think that going to a counselor is a safe choice for u. They are required by law to keep everything u say confidencial. So u dont really need to worry about the word getting out. They also are trained to be unbaised to whatever you tell them. You could always see your counselor after or before school so that your friends don't notice u missing during class or at lunch. There is no way a counselor will tell ur parents what's going on unless you tell them about hurting yourself or others. See a counselor :slight_smile: I hope it all works out. (&&&)

3. HalfInsane

To your first concern, counselors have to keep anything you say to them confidential unless you disclose information concerning seriously harming yourself or anyone else. They can't tell your parents without your permission.

As to how they take it, well, it depends on the counselor. I'd perhaps try striking up a conversation with one of them and get a feel for what they're like. Now, it is their job to offer advice and be nonjudgmental either way. That being said, it'd be far more pleasant and helpful to talk to someone who actually sees you and the topics you wish to discuss as legitimate, instead of just doing their job. Perhaps even approach it by simply saying someone you know is transgendered, and that you don't know how to feel about it. If they seem to genuinely care, then be honest and tell them you're really talking about yourself. They'll forgive you for a little white lie.

4. Wylde

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the advice. I wasn't so much worried of people finding out from the counselors that I was going to see guidance, but more of the people at my school finding out by seeing me go in there. My school is a sharkpit, to put it mildly.

I think I'll give it a shot, as it'd probably help me out a lot. If not, just point me in the right direction. Maybe.

5. goldentony111

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    they dont help

6. Wylde

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Any reason why not? Just curious.

7. flymetothemoon

I think it really depends on the school counselor whether they will be ready and able to help you or not. I'd say it's worth it to give it a try. If they're a good counselor, then they will be able to talk to you about this for sure. If it seems like they're not helping though, you can always stop going.

Also, as for people seeing you go, you could always make up some other excuse about why you are going if you are really concerned about that. It could be anything, really.

8. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's worth a shot. Each counselor is different and each one will have different things to say, some more helpful than others. It can't really hurt talking to one, I would say go ahead and give it a try.

9. maverick

Definitely worth a try, if I was back in school I would be in a school counselor's office ASAP. I just think it's useful to have an objective opinion on your life situations, regardless of your mental health.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I talked to my school counselor all the time about different things. Most of the time they are really open and are there to help you sort things out. I also know that they have helped a lot of my friends.

11. Wylde

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I'll give it a shot, because in the end it can't hurt. Even if they can't help me directly, maybe they'll be able to point me to someone who can, as it's hard to find therapists or counselors in my area without being refered to them by doctors and such.