1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transgender(ftm)..The full story

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by just b urself, Sep 12, 2011.

1. just b urself

I think that I might be transgender.I know that I have posted a lot of threads about me thinking about how I might be one and i'm sorry for that.I should have collected all of my thoughts together and put them all into ONE thread..but I am new to this site..Idk a lot about it besides the fact that it will give me help/support from EC users,and it's a nice place to get a sense of belonging..but just bear with me..anyways..lets cut to the point..I never really thought I was transgender until recently. I did always think differently when I was younger though..I just didnt think anything of it till now..when I was young I always went around saying "I wish I was a boy." I did wish I was one physically and I still do.Im just trying to decide if I am a boy mentally.I know that a lot of transgenders knew at an early age.Instead of them saying "I wish i was a boy" or.. "I wish I was a girl" they were saying "I am a boy" or.."I am a girl."..so is it weird that i went around saying I WISH instead of saying I AM a boy?Does it mean that im confused and im not transgender?..does it mean that im just a tomboy?..I think it might be because I wasnt informed of what transgenders were and when I went around saying I WISH I was a boy I meant that i wish I was a boy physically..but this confuses me because I know a lot of transgenders that werent informed of all of this but still went around saying I AM a boy/girl at a very young age..but we dont all have to be the same with it,do we?Some scientists believe that ur born with it..but if thats true or NOT,could it just take some people longer 2 realize their identity(male or female)just liek it takes sum people longer 2 find themselves than others?I do feel different tho..very different now.My legal name is Leanna but now tht ive become aware of transgenders&what it is I dont feel like a Leanna.I dont feel rite wen people call me that now.I even got offended when my aunt called me a girl& said tht i was born a girl so tht makes me a girl to her..I told her theres a difference between being a girl PHYSICALLY & MENTALLY..i remember that her saying that made me feel lost/misunderstood..so give me ur honest opinions..do u think it is possible that im transgender..or do u think im just a tomboy..or do u think im convincing myself that im transgender?..i can tell u that i do feel right wearing guys clothes..i do feel right walking around in shorts when my legs arent shaved like a guys..it all feels right..help?

#1 just b urself, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. Zeketra

Zeketra Guest

I can relate to you actually, i dont think i thought anything about it until puberty started, thats when i started saying that i WISHED i was born a girl. I used to do things like... imagine i switched places with some of the girls in class or go to bed at night a pray that some kind of miracle would happen and id suddenly wake up female the next day. I didnt understand why i felt this way, just that i knew its what i wanted and that id do anything to change it. Its not until i made my discovery and when i understood things more clearly that i realised, I am female, this person inside is a girl. I want to project the me inside out to the world, i want people to see the me i know i am on the outside aswell.

When i was growing up there wernt many things that indicated that i was transgenderd, i liked my fair share of guys things and girls things but mostly guys things were shoved in my face so i probably just went with it i guess. :eusa_doh:

Im a tomboyish girl at heart, sort of... round the middle? not butch at all, but not ultra femme either! :lol:

#2 Zeketra, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2011
  3. Haberdasher

While I think this should probably go in the "Help/Support" section here's my thoughts on the OP.

I don't think expressing it as "I am a boy" vs. "I wish I was a boy" is terribly significant. Rather it probably depends more on how the child is conceptualising "boy".

Ultimately, the thing about being trans is that your personality, sexual orientation, how masculine vs. feminine you are, none of that can tell you whether you are trans. If you consider yourself male, experience dissonance/dysphoria about your body, there's a good chance you are. One thing you can do to test the waters is sign up to a website as male. Won't tell you anything about the dysphoria but it will let you know how the social role feels.

Here's some reading on trans experiences that I generally recommend to everyone (though there's a bit of focus on the negative): Questioning Transphobia

And this blog I think is a great place for any "baby" trans guys (though it has a focus on gay men): Not Another Aiden

Hopefully I've said something useful. : )

4. just b urself

@zeketra..ya thats pretty much how it is..people dont understand that their is a difference then what ur physical gender is and wat ur mental gender is....but im here if u need to talk :slight_smile:[email protected] u very much and i guess it does make sense that ur personality,sexual orientation,&how masculine vs feminine u r cnt tell u whether u r trans or not becuz ive seen some more feminine trans(ftm) who even act gay..so yea..and im not sure if i do..i mean if sum1 says im a girl i say"NO IM NOT!"..i always have done that and i now get more offended wen people do it now..and im not tht comfortable with my body but ill take ur advice..ima sign up on fb or something as a male and see how it feels and theres a few guy names i already picked out tht i could want and for each name ima have people call me those names for a couple of weeks at a tiem to see how it feels..the names r Hayden,Zane,and Zander..wat do u like of those?..ik one thing..i dnt feel rite wen people call me Leanna now..and yes it did help thanks ALOT

5. Haberdasher

I'd recommend against "Hayden", I mean, it's up to you, but variations on "Aiden" (Jayden/Kaiden/Hayden/etc.) are very common in the trans community right now. Variations on "Keegan" are much the same. Not sure why it trends that way but that's how it seems to be going atm.

Zane sounds pretty badass. Zander reminds me of Buffy but I don't know enough about the show other than to think "that was a Buffy guy, right?"

That's just my initial impressions. Picking your own name is probably hard. I'd probably end up asking my parents or friends to name me!

#5 Haberdasher, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  6. just b urself

hmm well im goign to have my friends call me by these names..im start with hayden and they will call me tht for a few weeks..and then zane..and then zander and if one of them just fits ima pick that name and if they dont..ill have to find another..i want somethign that sounds cool but isnt to common..u know?but on fb i already put an account under hayden but thats alrite,its not permanent yet..but thank u for ur advice :slight_smile: