1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which group should I choose?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Foxywolf, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Foxywolf

Well as many of you know I am at college and you know how everyone has 'groups' of friends.

Well I had a group, but i just didn't quite fit into that group. I somehow felt like the odd one out, and even though they were nice and everything I just felt like I didn't quite fit. Plus one person in that group took to bullying me. It was 'friendly' bullying, but it got to be a bit too much because every jab she did was directed at me. And I was pushed into poles and such. Even other people thought it was a bit too much. I also constantly felt left out in this group.

Now I was feeling rather down about it, so I decided to try and spend time with a new group. This new group is really nice, they included me in everything, even though I was new to spending time with them. They overall made me feel loved and everything. I really like this other group. Now the only problem with them is that they party on the weekends and I am not much of a partier. I don't plan to drink or do drugs even though I wouldn't mind going to one of these parties.

Now my question is basically, which group should I choose? Is it possible to be in group #2 and just not join them in the drinking part of their hanging out time? Also how can I 'transition' groups without making group#1 feel like I am abandoning them?

2. Ridiculous

Do you actually have to choose a group and stay with them while completely ostracising yourself from the other?

I don't see why you couldn't just still meet with #1, albeit maybe less than usual, and also meet with #2 but only for what you feel comfortable doing with them.

3. maverick

Why don't you make the reputation for yourself as a designated driver? They're always welcome at the party whether they drink or not. :slight_smile:

4. Sadepeura

Seriously? I didn't know this and I've been studying at uni for three years now. Maybe it's an American thing? If it is then I maybe wouldn't know about it. But can it really be that different on the other side of the pond?

Here we had some 'groups' in high school but I was never a part of them. I just had friends. My friends were the ones I liked the most and was happy to spend time with and talk about things that were important to me. Then those friends had other groups of friends. But I was never a part of a group. And it was never a problem.

Honestly, I wouldn't try to be a part of either of those groups. Why do you have to choose a group? It sounds like you're going to feel miserable in both of those groups. I didn't even know that bullying still happens in college. If it does, then you're old enough to walk away from it and you can choose not to spend time with that person. If you still want to spend time with the people in the 'group #1' then at least tell the bullie that you do not like how she treats you and wish her to stop. Don't fight back, you're better than that. If she doesn't understand it, just let her go. Just walk away. Maybe the others will follow you.

If you like the people in the 'group #2' you can certainly spend time with them too! No one should force you to party or drink or anything like that though. Go to a party if you want to go. But don't go if you would go just be able to be '

---------- Post added 13th Sep 2011 at 01:40 PM ----------

That's a great idea! Besides it's cool to be a teetotaller.

5. Katelynn

I don't see why you should have to abandon group #1 Did you make it clear to this person that the bullying was unwanted & unwelcome? You said it was riendly bullying, but in my experience, there really is no such thing - bullying is bullying. Have you considered why she might be doing this to you as well? Years ago when I was in 8th grade, there was this girl who used to tease & bully me all the time. A few years ago, I ran into one of her friends who told me that she had a HUGE crush on me back then. That was apparently her way o dealing with it. But everyone is different. As for group #2, there's no reasonn you can't hang out with them either. Just skip the partying, except for maybe the odd one now & again. And I agree with maverick, desginated drivers are always welcome at any party, but just make sure you can deal with all the crazy, nonsensical things drunk people do, it can get really annoying after a while!

6. Foxywolf

Hmm, that's the vibe that I got from everything. More so from group#1 than group#2 it might be a feeling that wears off after everyone gets settled and everything. And I might get this feeling because group #1 does everything together. They eat together, have movie nights and everything. Maybe I will just try to split my time between the two groups. I think the reason I have this group complexion is because whenever I spend time with some other people, then one of the people in group #1 always comments on it (the same person who bullies me).

And yes I could easily become the designated driver, that may be a good plan.

I'll start spending time with both groups and see how things go. Sadepeura it really does seem like everyone has their group of people who they spend time with. I dunno why, it just seems like there are 'groups' of people.

7. Sadepeura

If that's what the bullie says I wouldn't believe a word she says. It really sounds like she's trying to hold you back and make sure your life is as miserable as possible. You really shouldn't sacrifice all of your free time to them. You should enjoy yourself! And she comments on your spending time with other people it's only a clear sign that you're having better time than she is and she's jealous. Sounds like a cliche but it's true. And for some reason it sounds like that girl was 13, she's so behind! Stuff like that shouldn't happen in college.

That's really weird!

I met a guy in my first year at uni too, who followed me around and told me that he was really lonely because everyone else already had a 'group of friends'. I had no idea what he was talking about because I just felt free to talk to anyone I wanted and then asked the nice people to hang out with me, go somewhere or to watch a film with me or whatever. Maybe I was just blinded by the whole group effect and didn't see it. I'm not sure if I did it all wrong, but it didn't bother me. If it bothered someone that I didn't play by their rules, then it was their problem. Hey, I'm happy and I have great friends. I don't need a group.

8. george678

You dont' have to choose any of the groups.

It seems you have been getting on well with group 2. But maybe you have been friends long with the people from group one. So I would confront them in group 1 and tell them that your unhappy about things. Maybe then they will change there attitude towards you. If so, great! If not, then I would hang out with group 2 or just find friends that you get on well with.

If you don't want to go out to the parties you don't have to, maybe you could be driving people around because you always need somebody who isn't drunk! You can still have a good time without drinking!

9. Daisy1

As long as you're comfortable being around drunk people while sober, I think joining group #2 and not drinking is a great idea. There were a couple of girls in our group in college who didn't drink, and it was great to have them around! They didn't need to drink to have fun, and they were especially helpful at the end of the evening, making sure everyone made it home, etc.

10. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These people. If you don't wanna drink then don't drink. You can have fun at parties without being drunk, plus you can be the one who watches all the stupid/hilarious stuff they do when they're drunk/high and make sure they get home safe afterwards.

Much love from them for being the person who made sure they didn't fall into a ditch and catch hypothermia. Much hilarity for you as you watch them stumble around like toddlers making fools of themselves and then not remembering what they did the next day

11. goldentony111

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  12. Foxywolf

Okay so I have started spending time with the new group, but have not completely stopped spending time with the old group. I find that I really am happier, which is the point of having friends in the first place right? I may eventually tell the one bully how I felt about her bullying, but for now I am content as it is. I just felt I didn't fit into the old group so much. The new group has many more of the same interests as me and I just seem to click with them better. I am going to continue doing things like I have been so far, and see how everything goes. Now I just need to make sure I am accepted into this new group. Wish me luck.