1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proposal Ideas

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by flymetothemoon, Sep 13, 2011.

1. flymetothemoon

I just bought a ring and am planning to propose to my girlfriend soon, but I want the proposal to be PERFECT, and I'm still trying to figure out the perfect way to propose. As of right now, I'm thinking that I want to do it in the town where we went to college together because it's where our relationship started. I kind of wanted to do a little scavenger hunt type of thing that sends her to important places in our relationship, but I don't want her to know I'm going to propose at the end, and I'm worried that makes it too obvious, so I'm still thinking...Does anyone have any ideas for proposals that I could consider? Advice for when I decide to do it? Anything at all on the topic?

2. Chandra

:icon_bigg

I put together a scavenger hunt for my gf once and it didn't end in a proposal, so I don't necessarily think that would be too obvious. And I think it's a super-cute idea.

3. Daisy1

Awwwww. That is extremely sweet, and I don't think its too obvious. You could always drop some misleading hints as well (imply that it'll end in a romantic picnic or something...).

As a side note, a guy made a scavenger hunt for me once. At the end was an envelope with a condom inside. Is it any wonder I turned out gay??

4. Sadepeura

I agree with others, scavenger hunt is a great idea! And it's not too obvious but it gives her time to realise that something special is going on. :slight_smile: I myself would hate it if someone would just out of the blue propose to me. One needs to be in a mood for that kind of a thing! (Or maybe it's just me. Big surprises freak me out.)

Haha, that made me laugh! :grin: That's such a rubbish thing! I'm happy for you that you turned out gay.

5. maverick

How about you go sky-diving and ask her right before you jump out of the plane together?

6. jake v

My best friend asked his gf to marry him through a scavenger hunt, you just have to make it seem silly and counterproductive. Like have them go to the same place twice, and use riddles to find the spot. Bit at the end he was on one knee and she had no idea at all. Good luck!

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A couple things came to mind. I don't want to throw too much doubt into the mix, but I'd say it's worth considering these points.

1. I think it's important to keep in mind how this will all appear to your girlfriend-hopefully-soon-to-be-fiancee. Both during and afterwards. You don't want her to get to the end of something like this and think "so she made me go through all these hoops just to ask me to marry her?" A lot of people end up creating the ideal proposal/surprise party/whatever for THEMSELVES - what THEY would most like to have happen to them, rather than what they think the other person would really want. Now, if your girlfriend-hopefully-soon-to-be-fiancee likes this sort of thing, then yes - go for it! :slight_smile: But if she's more prone to find this to be silly drudgery, or like you're making fun of her, then it's the wrong way to go.

2. "I don't want her to know I'm going to propose at the end". I understand the desire to get the "OMG", hands-over-face expression of shock mixed with love - who wouldn't want that? :slight_smile: But do make sure it's not such a shock that she's not ready to say "yes", because that's the most important part of this whole endeavor. :slight_smile:

Lex

8. flymetothemoon

Lex, good points to think about. Thanks for that. As for the part about being so surprised she's not ready to say yes, I don't think that will happen. We've looked at rings together, and she has considered buying one for me as well, so I don't think it will come as such a surprise that she wouldn't have thought about what she wants to say.

9. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    This is too cute.

I second that - but don't drop it out of the plane. A combination sky diving-scavenger hut, perhaps?

10. flymetothemoon

haha, she's not really the crazy adventurous type, and neither am I, so somehow I don't think that would be the best plan for either of us. But thanks for the ideas :slight_smile:

11. Mercy

Mercy Guest

I purpose a Treasure hunt Draw her a map n put the " X" where the treasure is
    Do it on a beach of cource and maybe put the hints like in a bottle so itl be like random messages in a bottle :slight_smile:

12. Jim1454

Congratulations on deciding to get engaged!

I think going back to your college town is a great idea. I'm not sure there needs to be a scavenger hunt - just a nice walk somewhere or dinner in your favourit restaurant would be good enough.

What I've learned is that the more you build something up, the more room for error / mishap / disappointment. There's something to be said for keeping things simple.

When I first proposed to my wife, we had also talked about getting married and what kind of ring she wanted. I'd had the ring for a couple of weeks, waiting for the perfect opportunity. But then my best friends mother passed away from cancer, and on the day of the funeral I decided that life was too short to wait for the 'perfect' opportunity. So that evening I made us reservations at a nice restaurant and proposed to her before dessert by getting down on one knee.

This second time, we were simply having a nice dinner at home alone, and there'd been a couple of nice things happen that day to be happy about, and I just came out very casually and asked him if he'd marry me. He said yes, and then asked if I'd marry him. And I said yes. Again - we'd talked about it previously, so I wasn't really worried about what he was going to say.

Good luck!

13. flymetothemoon

Thanks Jim! I've been casually asking some questions to get ideas of special things I could do that would be special for us and not anything that would have been hers with someone else or mine with someone else, and I think I have figured out what I want to do. There's a really nice Italian restaurant in our college town that she said she could never afford to go to when we were there, so I want to take her there. It's not super incredibly fancy so as to feel stuffy or uncomfortable, but it's definitely a nicer night out for sure. And then I'm thinking either a walk on the lake or maybe going out to the bluffs that are on the lake and asking her there since the lake is an important place in our relationship and is kind of a staple of the town.

14. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe a romantic dinner at home and then propose at the end of it. I dunno really, but I'm really happy for you and her and I hope whatever you decide it goes better than planned and you two are super happy together :eusa_clap :eusa_danc

15. Jim1454

That sounds awesome! I think it would be really nice.

My husband and I both enjoy a nice dinner out - we appreciate good food and good wine. My ex wife and I had that in common as well.

Good luck!

16. flymetothemoon

Well...tomorrow's the day. I have changed my mind about a million times about what I was going to do since I first posted, but I don't think it's changing again since it's tomorrow...so here is the current plan:

My girlfriend is in our old college town visiting friends. She's never been apple picking before and has been asking me to go with her since we started dating, but it just has never worked out. So I got our friends that she is visiting with to plan an apple picking trip that just happens to be the weekend she is there. When she arrived, they told her they had planned a bunch of exciting things to do for the weekend, and that was one of the things. As far as my girlfriend knows, I'm stuck in our current town because I had something to do today (which is true), but I'm surprising her by taking a train tonight and being there tomorrow when she gets to apple picking, and I'm going to propose there!

I'm super excited, but also really nervous. Thanks so much for all of the ideas, though, guys, they really did give me things to think about when I was making up my mind. :slight_smile:

17. Yuya

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bad idea! We don't want to lose the ring in mid space LOL!

Hmm you could cut an apple into half and put the ring inside. That would be lovely.

18. flymetothemoon

She said yes!!!

19. Daisy1

Congratulations!!!!!!!

20. Congratulations!! And suuuuch a cute idea! :slight_smile: