1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christmas?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Choucho, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Choucho

Well, my sister and her boyfriend have decided to magically scuttle their car five hours next month to pick up my brother and bring him here for Christmas. I haven't seen him in a while. Me and my brother don't talk to each other much, but we get along.
    But he's homophobic.
    Even though I'm pretty sure he doesn't know about me, last time he was here he spent almost three quarters of a tv show calling the guys on the show fags.
    So, last Christmas I got to enjoy a broken heart, this year it's homophobia.
    Holiday cheer for the win!
    Is anyone else concerned about being around their family for the holidays?

2. SRSLYMARK

I know how you feel. My brother and my uncle were discussing my brother's girlfriend during Thanksgiving, and my uncle turns to me and says, "Mark, do you have a girlfriend?" And of course I had to chuckle politely and go "No, I've been pretty busy, with school and whatnot."

It can get pretty awkward. Just try not to make a big scene.

3. biisme

i'm sorry for you. :frowning2:

good thing everyone in my family doesn't actively say anything against gays or lesbians or bisexuals. i don't kno really what they THINK, but, o well.

my grandpa, who lives in florida, however, is extremely against anyone who's not white, christian, and whose family has been here forever. therefore, i'm pretty sure he's not on my side, but i don't think i'm seeing him this year.

i hope maybe your brother has opened his mind a little. good luck!

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well at least you HAVE family to spend the holidays with. :frowning2:

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Joey, why don't you have any family?

6. SpikySpice

Im sorry Jacob for what happened last year, hopefully this year it wont happen again, just make excuses to walk away if he dose it again

Awwww Joey, I hope you find happiness still, you got a bf right

7. Choucho

*hugs everyone, and Joey twice*
    Thank you everyone.

Would you like to talk about your situation a bit more Joey? And yes, you are right.

8. dictionary

I dont want to here my grandad tell me as i am the last in the long line of my last name i am expected to marry a good catholic girl and have 10 boys and name them after saints and bibical figures....... Its not realy homaphobia just makes me more worried about coming out...

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have any family (effectively, not literally) because there were only 4 of us growing up (my mum, my dad, my sister, and me) and of those 4 only my mother ever felt like family. And she died last year so... I haven't talked to my dad in years and I'm not really close with my sister, certainly not the kind of "spend Christmas together" close, so effectively... there's just me.

As for the boyfriend, yes I had one but he ended it at the end of July, so no help there. *cry*

So I totally get that holidays can be hard on families and how aggravating family members can be... but well... it's easy to take your family for granted, so if I have any wisdom to bestow, it's that at big "family" times of the year, try to let go of your aggravation and appreciate your family for the fact that you have them, however crazy they make you.

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That's great advice Joey! Hopefullly, you have some good friends to spend the holidays with. Sometimes they feel more like family than our blood relatives do anyway.