1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i'm confused abt straight guys

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CluelessMe, Sep 16, 2011.

1. CluelessMe

So alot of my straight guy friends say things like "you look cute today" or they'll kiss my cheek. this one guy lays his head on my shoulder everytime we ride in the car together. im just not sure what to think.

2. JudasKissedHIM

Sorry that doesnt sound very straight. Maybe they are still in the closets.

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm, if they know you're gay maybe they feel comfortable being affectionate since you won't ridicule them for being close to you. It could be as mentioned above that they are gay and don't want to admit it and figure they can get some male touch to satisfy their need when they're with you. It sounds sweet, but frustrating if you find any of them attractive and you'd enjoy getting more physical with them.

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    agreed

5. Nollaig20

It sounds like they might be bi, I don't think a straight guy would be that comfortable but then again you see some straight guys just say that they are comfortable enough with their sexuality so maybe mnguys right. They are just affectionate to you because they know that you are gay, or maybe they want some attention either one works. :slight_smile:

6. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friends are more open to hugs now that I've come out. Maybe, like an above poster said, they are more comfortable with their sexuality around you.

7. Mad Man L

They're either really really comfortable with their sexuality or are to some extent "curious for the cock".

I'd be more inclined to say the former. Just because they're more 'huggy' than normal, doesn't mean they're bi/gay. Some people/groups/societies are generally more accepting of guy-guy affection than others.

8. Marlowe

The kisses sound pretty hardcore not straight. I have some really touchy feely (straight) male friends, and none of them have ever even come close to even a light peck on the cheek. That being said, don't get your hopes up. There is nothing worse than hoping on a straight guy. You ask them something like, "I don't have a problem with... , but it is confusing me a little." Unless of course the worry that it might make things awkward trumps your curiosity.

9. george678

They may be bi and closeted. They may be Gay.

There is a lot at the moment of this bromance thing. It is where I live all the guys like I love you. Type thing where IRL they are straight as a ruler.

10. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Ok, the cardinal and most important rule here is this;

Someone is assumed straight unless they state otherwise.

You're only asking for trouble if you assume anything else.

11. Just Passing

None of my straight friends act like this. They're either deliberately camping themselves up or aren't completely straight.

12. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Das ist the truth. Don't get your hopes up yet.

13. jwonder

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    The guy who constantly lays his head on your shoulder is attracted to you. Sometimes when you are young, it's hard to realize these things. But that is a very clear sign that he is attracted to you. And there is no way it is a "cultural thing".

Unless the guy is an adolescent, if he knows you are gay and then proceeds to lay his head on your shoulder every time you get in a car, then that guy is sending you a signal. Straight guys would not do that. They would make sure not to.

Now, the thing to remember is that he could be just curious. His behavior doesn't mean that he is gay. But come on, that is a strong sign. If you like him, then go for it. Chances are that he is hoping that you will make a move.

14. maverick

^ This is what I think.

15. Medea Unleashed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you take orientation and gender out of the story all of the behavior is that of someone who is attracted to another person and wants that person to make the move first.

For most of my life I was straight / Bi identified and had the luxury of waiting for men to make the move first. Its not easy putting yourself out there. I have little advice on how to do so. But I would say this, put yourself out there. Send out gentle feelers. Try kissing him on the cheek back, if he lays his head on your shoulder lean in. If it continues then let him know you are interested. But know he could freak out on you. Ifnhe is closeted he may not be able to deal.

so what is going to cost you more? Rejection or not knowing?
    Imagine the worst possible, then calm down and imagine worst probable. Is the worst probable worth it? Is knowing, even if its bad, better than not?

16. Beachboi92

dont assume anything until they unnecessarily re-iterate how straight they are. Then assume they are in the closet

17. Medea Unleashed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :thumbsup: excellent advice

18. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It could be that since they know you're gay they feel more comfortable showing affection around you since they would be teased doing so around other straight guys. Either that or they are closeted.

19. IanGallagher

Affectionate? Yeah. But kissing a guy on the cheek? I personally don't know any straight guys that go that far unless they're Italian or Jewish (I think, unsure if that's a custom).

20. Makaio1

Yeah, don't necessarily assume that they're gay. That's a very stereotypical way to look at it. I have straight guy friends who hug me whenever they see me -- like Fugs said, they're probably just more comfortable around you. The whole kissing thing -- it might be to annoy you perhaps or they're just trying to be 'homoerotic' for a laugh. Next time, maybe ask them 'Why?' they are doing that.