1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fight for the Relationship

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Messed Up, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

A lot of people get in and out of relationships these days but when you have something good and the other person breaks it off what do you do?

Do you decide to move on or should you fight for the relationship to have a real chance?

Now, my question is when do you know it’s worth fighting for and how do you differentiate between fighting for a chance at romance and simple infatuation?

Thoughts?

2. Gallatin

I was dating a girl for a while, and eventually things went sour and she wanted to end it. I felt really strongly for her, and I wasn't about to let the relationship go without a fight. So I told her we could make it through the troubles and come out stronger. As it turns out we mutually broke up two weeks later; by that time, it felt like the relationship was basically on life support, and I think we were both ready to move on.

So yeah, I fought for the relationship, it didn't turn out so well, but that's not to say that you shouldn't. It's difficult to say how you know if it's worth fighting for - you just do. I mean if you care really deeply for the person and don't want to be without them, then chances are it's worth trying to save. However, if you feel like you're losing interest in the person/relationship, then it might not be worth the effort.

As far as differentiating between fighting for romance or simple infatuation, it's like trying to differentiate whether you feel lust or love. Only you really know how you feel. If you know you're in love with the person, then I would say fight for the relationship.

One more thing, sometimes an alternative to flat out breaking up can be taking a small break from one another. That'll give you (and the other person) a chance to have some time apart, to see what life is like without the relationship. You might be head over heels in love with someone, take a break, and realize that it might not have been love after all.

3. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

Wow. You make a lot of sense. Thank you. :slight_smile:

Anyone else?

4. Mogget

When someone breaks up with you, it usually means something is wrong; there's a problem. And that problem is unlikely to go away permanently. Which means that if you do get back together, it's likely you'll be broken up with again for the same reason. It can work, but it generally doesn't and you'll save yourself a lot of pain by just moving on.

5. Jim1454

It depends. Have you been married for 20 years, or dating for 2 weeks? The bigger the investment, the more worthwhile it likely is to work on salvaging it.

6. Hazel

I'm on board with this. For it to be salvageable, both people need to want to go back and they need to have their heart in it. If one doesn't, then the unhappy truth is that the other has to let them go.

7. Medea Unleashed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to agree with Liam.
    there is a reason that the relationship has come to an end.
    You believed things were good. Your partner did not feel the same. It hurts an it feels like you won't ever heal. But you will. I promise you it gets better.

8. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

What I feel is that he was scared of getting too serious because he’s not out. The thing is neither am I but I was more than willing to go catch a movie, or go out for coffee AS FRIENDS who happen to be dudes...no one would know we were “you know”, as we’re both pretty "straight-acting” (I hate that term). No one could tell we’re “you know”. So, why did he run off? Do I run after him? That’s what puzzles me.

9. seeksanctuary

Try talking to him and asking what's up. If you don't know why he split, I would just constant him and politely ask for an explanation; you deserve one.

10. Hazel

I'd warrant a guess that either he's not totally okay with his own orientation yet, he has commitment issues in general, or he's just too scared of what's going to happen if he's found out. Maybe he thinks his parents would flip, and the thought of that confrontation terrifies him. The stress of simultaneously wanting a relationship but being afraid of where it could potentially go - or getting serious - can really cause some people to crack. I don't know much about him, so I can't really say.

However, I'd suggest that if you care about this guy and can manage your own feelings, be his friend and get back to living your life. If he wants to talk about it and maybe sort things out with you, that's good too, but don't pressure him or put all your eggs in that basket, so to speak. Maybe someday he'll have whatever's going on inside sorted out, but that might not come for awhile.

11. Nollaig20

Hey there,

If the person means alot to you, then I would advise you to find out what actually caused this person to break off the relationship? What exactly happened that made them want to end it? Also you must think, are you's able to fix the problem? :confused::confused:

There was a girl in my school when I was younger, (she was my best friend) I utterly and completely loved her, every way, and she told me that she felt the same way. After years of wanting us to be together, there was always something in our way, well not in my way, more in her way. She always kept me on hold, and the worst thing about it, I just let it happen. So what I'm trying to say is becareful, some people like to toy with our emotions, I know she did, she laid me on like I was a piece of trash. Sometimes we don't want to see it, but you need to realise, that this person ended it with you, there must off been a reason for it, if you described the relationship as good. =// I would of done anything for that girl, so make sure this person isn't going to take advantage on you. A lot of people do, and we don't see it because we are so caught up in "love".

Good Luck dude.