1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overwhelmed about being out at college

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by shootingstars, Sep 18, 2011.

1. shootingstars

I am a bit frustrated and overwhelmed about being out at college. I started college three weeks ago, and even though I do not pretend to be straight in the slightest, have joined the school's gsa (more on that later), and have looked for other gay people, I find it really hard to meet other feminine lesbians and/or bi girls. The only gay people I have really met or encountered have been stereotypically gay, or rather "loud" about their gayness. Most of the members of the gsa are stereotypically gay, and while I am okay with that, it is not who I am or what I am looking for. What are some ways to meet other feminine lesbians or bi girls, or even just gay people who view it as one aspect of themselves and not everything about them? Most of my friends are currently straight girls (I also think I should try to befriend more straight guys because I connect with guys well), and I wonder if some of them even realize I'm gay just because it's not completely obvious. Any experience, tips, or advice? I think most people at my college are fairly accepting, but they're naive about how you don't need to have a crew cut or motorcycle to be a lesbian. I'm sorry if this sounds angry, but I'm kind of annoyed about this.

2. RaeofLite

Just my piece of advice, sometimes the best relationships happen when you aren't looking...

Maybe meet with the people in the GSA and be friends with them. They might know of a few women you might be interested in. And if not, look up some gay oriented sports or organizations in your area if there are any.

3. Jim1454

Hi there. Welcome to EC!

You're only 3 weeks in. Give things time. I think it's awesome that you've gone out to the GSA already - other people here agonize about doing something like that, and you've already done it!

If you're attending a fairly accepting kind of college, then I'm sure there are other people there just like you. It's just going to take a bit of time to meet them. The GSA really is likely your best bet. Even if the people there don't appear to be you're 'type' they might have friends. Good luck!