1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to approach her...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jazzmyn, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Jazzmyn

I've been interested in a girl at my work for some time now, she's the most amazing girl I've ever met... She's sweet and supports me when I'm struggling. She's everything I've ever wanted.

My problem lies with the approach. I want to ask her out, even just for a coffee or to watch a movie or something, but It's always been a problem with my disorder. I would be happy to just ask her if I could, but that's not possible. I would give her a letter but I'm afraid that would seem too... fast (can't think of the word right now). I can't really think of any other way though. I was thinking perhaps I could record a voice message if I can get myself up for it, she'd here my hidden voice, but I've never been so afraid in my life. I just can't keep myself from panicking when I attempt.

I'm stuck in a rut! Should I just get out of my paranoiac shell and write her?

2. Chandra

Do you know if this girl is open to dating girls?

Your situation sounds somewhat familiar, because I'm quite shy with people I like, and I've been through similar situations to what you describe. I would say a casual approach is best. I do think a letter or a voice recording might come off a bit too strong, to be honest. Are you friends on Facebook? Or do you have her e-mail address or cell number? I'd say that a casual PM / e-mail / text along the lines of, "Hey, wanna go for a coffee sometime this weekend?" would be the best approach.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

3. Jazzmyn

I'm pretty sure she is. The way she talks to me and compliments me... But even if she isn't, I'd be happy just to hang out with her.
    I don't actually have any of those, but I'm sure I can find an excuse to get one. Something work related >=D I suppose I should have thought of the simpler ideas first...
    Thanks!

4. Katelynn

I usually get all nervous and really awkward talking to girls I really like too. While I don't have the same problem you have, I have stuck both of my feet in my mouth several times when i finally did get the courage to say something. I guess the only thing I can say is to just agree with Chandra, if you have her email or phone #, then drop her an email (which is basically just a letter anyway) or a text (which is kind of like a VM only written) & just casually ask her if she wants to hang out sometime for coffee or whatever. Try & find something that you are passionate about that she likes as well, so you'll both have that in common, & then go & do that. I've found that when I'm on a date with someone, it really helps to loosen me up & make me relax if I'm doing something or engaging in something that I really love to do. It may make you feel more comfortable and, in turn, make you feel comfortable enough with her to just chat a bit. I'm not suggesting that you'll be immediately able to just chat away, but it may start you off on a way to feel a little bit more at ease anyway. IDK if this helps, but I do hope it all works out with her! And I hope she feels the same way for you too! It always feels amazing to find that person who makes you feel good!

5. Chandra

Just a note of caution from personal experience, though: girls can get away with A LOT of flirting and complimenting each other without actually giving up their straight identity. So for sure, I still think you should go ahead with your plan - hang out with her and get to know her, and at the very least make a good friend - but unless the words have actually come out of her mouth, don't assume she's attracted to women.

6. Jazzmyn

@Chandra - Yeah I've noticed that too. That's why I'm trying my best not to become too hopeful. Thank you =]

@Kiersten - I've listened to her talk to customers and co-workers about what she enjoys, so I have a pretty good idea. It seems we have quite a bit in common too which is always great, weather it be for a friendship or romance. I'd be ecstatic if I could talk to her some day =D It does help, I'm rather awkward socially so even things that seem simple to most people, are alien to me.
    It does feel awesome! =D

Thanks guys xo

7. Jazzmyn

Okay, that worked out better than I was expecting. I 'asked' her for her email in case I need to let her know anything about work =P Sent her an E-mail as soon as I got home saying;
    "I was too shy to ask you in person. I would love to hang out sometime, we could grab a coffee of a bite to eat."

I know, quite a pathetic attempt. I didn't want it too long haha. She replied though, in shorter words than myself;
    "Sure, this is my number ********"

I'm ecstatic!