1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice to get over this

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheAnonymity, Sep 19, 2011.

1. TheAnonymity

I very much want to come out, but whenever I do I just can't get past this feeling in my stomach area. It's like a combination of fear and nervousness. I need the best advice you can come up with because I'm slowly becoming isolated from my friends by my fear. I'm an introvert, but I did enjoy good friendships before I had the whole spiral into depression thing upon realization that I'm gay and being Christian and whatnot.

2. Undecided John

When you feel like this, is like squeezing an acne. It's gonna hurt like hell at first, and is gonna be worse before it ends, and sometimes you will not even be able to end it, but when it does ends, is such a relieve. I never came out, or anything like that, but I had my "having-to-tell-someone-something" situations. Try not to think on HOW you're gonna do it, just think about doing it, no matter what, and then jump.

3. Chandra

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time coming out. Do you have one or two close friends that you trust, and who you think might be supportive? Most people will tell you that coming out is very scary at first, but with each new person you tell, it gets easier and easier. So if you can find one or two open-minded people to confide in first, that might help boost your confidence to tell others.

4. Jim1454

You say that you've come out to one person (in your 'out' status). How did that go? How did you manage to do that?

Are your fears real (like you'll be kicked out of the house or beat up when you come out) or hypothetical (I'm not sure how they'll react, I'm not sure that I'm gay or bi so I'd rather nto say, etc.)? What do you think some of the underlying drivers are? Maybe then we could provide some more specific advice. I don't want to tell you to just suck it up and tell someone if there are some serious and very legitimate things that you are afraid of.

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't have to make it a big, huge thing. (I tried that and it didn't go well)
    Try telling 1 or 2 people at a time. start small, one....one person. That first step is the hardest.

6. TheAnonymity

Yes, I'm out to one person, but it's my guidance councilor, and I directed her to the Wikipedia page for Prayers for Bobby. That, of course, was last school year. The funny thing about it is that I can say it to myself easily, hell, I even sing it sometimes when my parents aren't home, but I had trouble even saying it to some adult that I know supports me. I do have a friend that I know would absolutely support me, but teenage girls tend to blab, so my real fear is that it'll end up on Facebook and it'll reach my brothers and they'll tell my fundie parents.

Like I told my guidance counselor, the burden of the secret is more like a wall than a weight.