1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recently came out to my friend but...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Andane, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Andane

So yeah, a couple days ago I had come out to my best friend. Aside from some initial awkwardness, he took at really well and was really supportive. However, the next day and from then on it's like he's been acting like it never happened. I don't know if he feels it might be awkward to broach the subject or what, but I don't want to bring it up and have him feel like I'm forcing him into an uncomfortable conversation or something. I was just wondering because he's the first person I've told and I was kind of hoping he was someone I could talk to or confide in with some of the issues I've been having with all this.

2. LookingGlass

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Bring it up when you're both alone. Actually, this happened to me as well and when I asked about it, he told me that it didn't matter that I was gay and he felt that he didn't need to make a big deal about it. He concluded with, "You're still the same person I've known forever, I just know a little more about you. Nothing's changed."

My best friend has been 100% supportive at all times. I'm sure if you talk to your friend 1 on 1 about anything, he'd listen to you and talk about it. Before I came out to my best friend, I promised myself I would burden him with any of my problems or issues, but sometimes he'll come right out and ask me about just that, just to see if I'm okay. Just give it time.

3. Makaio1

This is a big thing for both of you. You've just confided in your best friend about one of the most secretive parts of your life. It must be a big thing for him to take in, and the fact that you chose him to talk to about it. Being your best friend, I'm sure he is completely supportive but maybe he just feels that it doesn't need to be addressed. After all, being gay shouldn't be your label for the rest of your life. Remember you are the same person as you was before and just cherish the friendship you have. He'll eventually talk about in time. Meanwhile, have you thought about joining any social groups/clubs to help discuss your feelings?

4. maverick

Just because he knows you're gay doesn't mean he wants to talk about it.

He may consider it a non-issue, therefore think that there is no further reason to bring it up.

5. query

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i think it makes him uncomfortable. my friend is EXACTLY the same way, he doesnt mind im gay but i can tell he is uncomfortable talking about it. its like a girl tells a straight guy 'awww he's cute' ever notice the guy just says nothing and avoids the question? or maybe he just doesnt want to make a deal out of it.

6. smallhammy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe he accepts the fact you are gay and he doesn't want to take it any further because its your life not his. :confused: