1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College admission help/advice/words of encouragement?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ANightDude, Sep 19, 2011.

1. ANightDude

Ugh, so the time has come for me to start applying to colleges and universities and all that fun, joyous stuff.

My issue here is that I'm feeling a bit... hopeless at times when it comes to this. My main dream school that I've been wanting to go to since 5th Grade (no lie) accepts the top 9% of a class automatically, and that makes up around 75% of incoming freshmen class. Sounds good! But I'm not in the top 9%. Maybe top 15%. Honestly, top something, I don't know.

So here's the thing. The representative has told me that from those who aren't top 9% and applying really need to make an impression. While grades are important, she's stressed to me that if you don't have the best grades (heck, even if you do) you really need to make an impression with your personality. She's said that there have been essays that were so well done that they person was accepted simply based on that essay. Letters of rec., resume, etc. all work towards you.

So I'm in the middle of my first essay, and I'm constantly getting the feeling that "the person reading this will never care" or "they'll think I'm too weird" or "I'm trying too hard" or something. The first topic is "write about someone who has made an impact on your life". My English teacher told me to never write about my family, so I'm writing about something with a total stranger and... yeah, long story. I'm confident with that.

The others are
    "Chose an issue of importance to you and write an essay explaining why"

and

"Special circumstances"

Now, the rep. said that the Special Cir. essay doesn't mean financial or disabilities. It could be something you've overcome, for example. What special thing should make them choose you more than someone else?

Anyways, here's my questions:
    1) I'm trying to be as entertaining and unique about my essays as possible. Any advice on that?

2) How can I seriously stop this "they'll never accept me anyways" feeling and just get this done?

Thanks for those who read through all this. :slight_smile:

2. Daisy1

I just wrote my grad school essays, so here's my best advice. Start by making a bunch of lists: things you love, things you hate, things you've done that changed your perspective, things you want to change about the world. Once you have a bunch of ideas, try to figure out a story you can tell that will show something you're passionate about. Don't try to be unique/interesting/funny/entertaining. That's a trap. If you write something that's actually meaningful to you, it will be engaging in its own way. Feel free to exaggerate a little bit, within reason. It's called poetic license. :icon_bigg Feel free to PM me with ideas. I actually love this stuff.

3. FJ Cruiser

Okay, so I'm actually a freshman at this university. I was part of the automatic admission, but I applied to other schools, so I can relate to the nerve-wracked feeling you have.

First of all, no admissions officer will ever think you're weird. If anything, they'll think you're original. Now I'm not saying go over the top, but from what I can tell from your post, I don't think you'll ever weird them out. You write and present your thoughts well, so any off-the-wall idea might probably come across favorably.

Second of all, submit a resume. The box on the application website doesn't give much room for expounding, so a resume gives you a better chance to explain how your extra-curriculars make you more desirable so to speak. Try to keep it to one page if possible.

1) Your English teacher gave decent advice. I would generally say stay away from family on that topic, but if you truly could write a better essay writing about family, go with it. The admissions officer with me told me that both some of the best and some of the worst essays she's read have been about mothers. I like your idea about a total stranger making an impact on you. I could see where it would turn out great, but if you find yourself at a loss for words after awhile, try writing another one. It might be that your second one comes out better, or that you have an epiphany on how to make the first one better (that's how things work out for me a lot).

On the issue of importance essay. Most importantly, find an interest you're passionate about, preferably one that's "un-teenage-like." Once you find that interest, then you can make it fit into an issue in the world today. For instance, I wrote about how my love and knowledge of geography, which segued into how it helped me understand a different culture. An admissions officer from the university told me the best essay she's read was where this girl talked about the issue of growing up in America not liking chocolate ice cream. (Sorry, but unless you're an amazing writer with an incredibly original take on things, or a music major, I would avoid writing about music.)

2) Always have a good back-up plan. Don't hinge all your hopes on this one university, and it will help calm you down knowing that you'll turn out well no matter what happens. If you don't get in to this one, you can always get into the CAP program at UTSA or another branch and transfer after your freshman year.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great! If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask. :slight_smile:

P.S. Should you get in and want to live on campus, apply for housing ASAP. You don't want to get stuck in the un-renovated rooms at Jester.

#3 FJ Cruiser, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011