1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There have to be better ways than this.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Owen, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

So here's the deal. Some people cut themselves, some burn themselves. Some do it when they are depressed, others do it when they are stressed. I scratch myself, and I do it when I'm angry.

It all started a while ago when I was extremely angry and my mom could see it. She told me to go outside, so I did. There, I found a pile of sticks and started breaking them against a tree. This didn't really help me. But then, one of the stick pieces flew off of the tree and hit me in the leg. I stopped and I bent over to deal with the pain, but what amazed me was that the anger was gone. Totally vanished. Kaput. Whatever you like.

Then a while later, I was angry for some other reason, and I decided to see if it would work again. It wasn't a decision so much as an impulse. I scratched the back of my left arm as hard as I could. It barely left a mark, but it did cause pain, and the anger disappeared.

Recently, I've been doing this again. This morning, when I was really angry over something that happened while I was playing a game on the computer, I scratched so hard that I ended up drawing blood. It didn't bleed immediately, but I could tell it was going to, and a small amount of blood came out a few minutes later.

I want to stop. I know this isn't that bad and there are worse ways to handle anger, but I'm worried that this will escalate if I don't find some other way to handle my anger. Is there anything else that gets rid of anger as quickly as what I've been doing? If it helps you to answer my question, in the past, I would beat the :***: (that's the only way to describe it) out of my pillow or punch something hard in my room, like me dresser, and that would help, but not as quickly as my scratching. What else works that isn't as destructive, to myself or my stuff?

2. Level N Human

:\ For me personally, I run my anger out. It hurts, but it hurts because you're exercising. The endorphins make you happier, and you get fitter.

I think you need to think of some way to control your anger in the first place as well. Drawing blood over a game? As a gamer myself I can understand how frustrating it can get, but ask yourself: How much sense does this behavior make?

3. xxAngelOnFirexx

thats how you get addicted to self-harm fast. soon you'll be doing it to solve all your emotionally straining problems and then it gets more dangerous with burning and cutting with razors and knives. its best to stop now while you still can, if you aren't already trapped. for me it first time and i was addictied. so try to find something else. this addiction is hard as hell to beat and very hard on family and friends when they find out.

4. Steam Giant

A very wise woman told me that emotions are like a physical form of energy that build inside of us, and if they grow too abundant, they need to find an outlet. Scratching yourself is the outlet you have right now, but you seem to have picked up on the fact that it's not good to be doing. And trust me, it doesn't have to escalate. I used to self-harm a ton, which would sometimes involve vigorous scratching. I have three long, thick, very visible and awful-looking scars on my arms because of it.

I wish I could help you with your anger management, but it takes a LOT to get me truly angry, so I really don't have to deal with it a whole lot. I know I really haven't been much help ; ; but finding a different, less-destructive outlet is very important.

5. Owen

I know it doesn't make any sense to get that worked up over a game, but the only time I scratch myself is when the anger gets so built up that I can't help it. Most of the times, it doesn't come to that.

6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

personally, i found a book by the dalai lama very helpful in dealing with anger and other destructive emotions. it's called "the art of happiness". it's not specifically aimed at buddhists, and it's accesable for everyone, no matter what your beliefs. it has a whole chapter on how to control anger. i found it incredibly hepful and since have become a much calmer person. it really helps me to control my anger. so maybe it could help you too :slight_smile: you could probably find it in your library, it's very well known.

7. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Burn ur self??:/, neway i punch stuff when im angry, but if i punch too much i might get carried away,or sumtimes u just leave it then it eventaully goes, or i smoke

8. EthanS

EthanS Guest

O yeaaaa.. meditation helps.. jus breathe ..in.. an.. breathe ..out :grin:

9. 24601

Go gank some lowbies. :slight_smile:

10. Steam Giant

Hahaha!!!

When I get angry with someone in WoW I usually logout and relog as a different character that nobody knows so I can be by myself, and I'll just go around killing stuff to let off some steam.

11. Owen

I play on a PvE server. Besides, I don't gank lowbies by principle. It's just dishonorable.

12. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

Lol when i get angry in WOW.....i curse everyone out lolz. Also i go to BG and just kill the shit outta everyone there. And yeah killing lowbies is dishonarable...but fun like go somehwere where they quest like maybe...Um SpineTree Post(name?) in that forest...umm...astrannar. Geez such a long time since i've played. And kill the horde! Or for me since my main was BE pally roll up to Astrannar and start killing them bitches! And make a twink rogue if you can...FUN FUN FUN!

13. 24601

I used to do that, too. But ganking lowbies is more fun. :grin:

14. boy0boy

I don't get mad, so in a different way but on the same subject.. when I get really sad, I have some music that makes me mellow out. It oddly enough is depressing, but it does the trick everytime, wipes the slate clean.

15. Jonathan

Yea, its the same with me when I get stressed out. I listen to music to calm myself down.

16. Louise

I'm with Level N Human on this one. Run, run until you can't run any more, this willl work off the suppressed energy of your anger, release endorphines into your blood stream and of course is ultimately good for your health. When you first start of running, if you are not so fit there will be pain... that I can promis you :dry:

Resist the urge to scratch, put your trainers on and get outside to run, you will feel good about yourself because you have resisted a negative urge and will be dealing with your anger and hopefully the upside of that is that you will give yourself a healthy anger management program which could develope into a lifetime habit... better than self harm hey?

17. Owen

I like the idea of running, but I only scratch when the anger is sudden and I need something faster than going for a run. When I get the kind of anger that can be handled by running, I have much better ways of handling it.

18. Steam Giant

When I have a strong, sudden emotion like that, I clench my fists really tight so my nails kinda dig into my skin a bit. It really isn't self harm, but the pressure of squeezing my fists acts as a release for me. Maybe you could give that a shot?