1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to ask someone to hang out without it seeming like a date?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Foxywolf, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Foxywolf

Well there is this girl that I want as a friend. I wanted to grab some dinner with her before we go to the gsa that we both joined in college.
    The thing is she knows I am gay and she is currently questioning, so I don't want my asking her to eat with me to be misinterpreted as me asking her out.
    How do I ask her to do stuff with me just so I can get to know her better, without it seeming like I am asking her out on a date?

Sorry this seems like a rather juvenile question, but I really don't want to mess this friendship up with misunderstandings. Cuz my college experience with friends has not been that great so far.

2. Katelynn

'Hey, I'm hungry & grabbing some food before the meeting. You wanna come with?'

Simple as that, just say it casually as if it isn't anything. If you start getting all flustered when you try to ask her or take too long trying to find the words to ask her if she wants to join you, then she might think there's something else up. But if it's just you & her mutually grabbing a bite or doing something, then just ask straight out & don't make a big deal about it. It's when you start acting nervous that she might think you're asking her out. Hope thi helps!

I guess the question I should also ask is this: do you like this girl more than just as friends? If so, & you're both in the GSA, then it's possible if she wants to hang out with you that she might also be thinking about things with you as well. You said she was questioning, so you never know. Depending on how you feel about her will partly determine how you'll act around her. If you're interested in her, then you'll probably get nervous a bit around her. If not & it's just a friend thing, then you should be fine! Good luck!

Another question is, do you want it to seem like you're not asking her out on a date when you are in fact asking her out? Is that what it will be, 2 people hanging out, or is it that you want to go on a date with her, but don't want her to feel like it's a date? In my experience, it's better to be upfront. I've had this approach before to with a couple of girls & going on a date where I'm the only one who knows it's a date usually results in me getting hurt a bit, especially if she starts talking about someone else she likes or I want to kiss her goodnite but know she didn't know that's how I felt when I asked her out. One-sided dates also run the risk of you developing deep crushes that the other person can't reciprocate because they don't know, possibly putting you in a position to get hurt later on. If you do want to ask her out, thenjust be totally up front about it. If you just want to hang out, then it's no big thing. Just be honest with yourself as much as you need to be honest with her...

#2 Katelynn, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  3. Jazzmyn

My advice would be to explain that you don't want it to be a date. If she knows you're gay it won't do any harm to say what you've just posted pretty much =]
    If you don't feel comfortable with saying it outright, you could always just mention it would be good to grab something to eat before going to the gsa, to me that wouldn't sound like a date. If there's anything in particular you wanted to talk about you could just say you need to chat to someone about something and that over dinner would be more comfortable.
    No matter how you do it, I'm sure she'll understand. I go out for dinner with my best friend quite a lot, she doesn't find it weird at all and she's straight.

Good luck!

EDIT: Kiersten beat me to it =p

#3 Jazzmyn, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  4. Foxywolf

Yeah I guess i just always over think things. No I don't want it to be a secretive date, I truly just want to hang out with her. Just you know I am at the beginnings of a friendship with her and I don't want to seem too up front about anything.
    I wanted to text her saying something like,
    "So are you going to pride today? Do you want to maybe grab some dinner with me beforehand?"
    But then I started over thinking things and thought, 'what if she thinks I am asking her out and gets freaked out and doesn't want to hang out with me because she thinks i am interested in her.' I am truly only interested in her as a friend as of now. I don't know what the future holds though.

Do you think that message sounds like i am asking her on a date?

5. Jazzmyn

I think Kiersten's suggestion is good. Maybe change it to "So are you going to pride today? I'm grabbing something to eat beforehand if you wanted to join me?" Or something like that. I tend to overthink too. Pessimism sucks somtimes =p

6. Foxywolf

Haha thanks, yeah pessimism really does suck. It's so frustrating always over thinking things. Because then I worry about things that I shouldn't be worrying about or that really shouldn't be a big deal -.-

7. Jazzmyn

The only blessing is that it's harder to be let down by things, because you assume it to anyway. Not really a blessing, but that's my optimistic outlook on pessimism =p