1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To send or not to send

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jazzmyn, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Jazzmyn

The problem with having no voice to speak my feelings is that I bottle up so many feelings at once. I wrote a blog with messages to people. It's a little harsh in some respects, on myself and other parties, but I really want to send them. Do you think they are fine? Should I perhaps wait until I'm a little calmer and re-write them? I would have posted them in here, and can do if I need to, but it's a pretty large wall of text.

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a good emotional management technique to write letters to people expressing everything you need to, then never sending them. I would advise against sending them, especially since, as you said, they are a bit harsh. If you do still seriously want to send them, I would go with your idea of re-writing them when you are calmer.

Oh, and if you want to include walls of text but don't want them to take up a bunch of space, you can put them in spoiler tags.

[ SPOILER] Message here.[ /SPOILER]

Just eliminate the spaces in the brackets.

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I agree with the poster above, if you really want to post them, wait till you are calmer and re read/write them, things often seem different in the morning and once you have sent them it will be harder to take them back.

4. Jazzmyn

Thank you, now to wait until I'm calmer =[ I'll send the one to myself, I don't mind the harsh words =p

5. Katelynn

While writing letters is a good way to express how you feel & get everything out, you run the risk of running into a problem. Namely, writing something in the heat of the moment & then sending it. Now, while most people may find that to be a problem, I would not always see it that way. For those of us that speak & don't have the same issue that you face, I'm sure many of us will agree that there have been many times where we have opened our mouths, wors have come out in the heat of a moment & something stupid or angry or sad has come out that we wished we could take back. This is part of being human. I'm not saying you should always send something you've written while upset or emotional, this is where tact comes into play, but those are your feelings, you are entitled to them & you should never feel like you don't have the right or the ability to express them. Yes, someone you send it to may get hurt or angry or upset at you, but that's what happens to the rest of us when we speak & express our feelings. It's part of being human. You also run the risk, if you don't send these letters when you feel it is necessary, of running into the problem you're already facing - bottling up how you feel, in essence, you're 'editing' yourself & your feelings. Again, not every situation will call for you needing to send your first impressions or feelings, but it is important that you express who you are. It is you & if people can't accept how you feel, then that's on them, not you. Just like it's important to be respectful of other people's feelings, it's also your responsibility to take care of your own. Sometimes the situation may call for you to carefully edit what you first wrote so that it is more thought out or better expressed or even worded more diplomatically, but don't ever feel like you should leave out how someone has made you feel from a letter just because you're afraid of what might happen when they read it. You may have the ability to choose your words more carefully than the rest of us, but just please be careful that you don't choose them so carefully that you leave out yourself or your feelings.

Even though you may lack the ability to speak, you will always have a voice. Don't ever be afraid to be heard.

(*hug*) And if you ever need to, any & all of us here on EC will always be happy to listen, myself included!

6. Jazzmyn

Well my blog post is basically what I want people to hear. I don't expect anyone here to understand a lot of it, but I'm happy to answer questions. I just don't want to be too needs here is all. I feel like I need to help others first. It'll all be easier once I can become a full member. Private messages will feel more comfortable to me for lots of stuff I wish to say. Thank you so much though Kiersten. I thought about what you said a lot and decided to send them. Including the one to me =p Well I printed the one to me and stuck it to my wall, next to my bed. Just to remind myself of... well... myself?

7. bryan176

better do write out your emotions then keeping them bottled up or even using that anger to hurt someone I do it in front of a camera. I am thinking about doing vloging on youtube soon.

8. Jazzmyn

That's a great idea Bryan =] I hope it works out well for you.
    I've received some messages back, most of them good though. I'm glad I've let it all out now though. I worry too much, I know that, but for people to understand how I really feel has made me feel... lighter. It's difficult to explain, I think I'm just happy =D