1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a question..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by just b urself, Sep 22, 2011.

1. just b urself

sorry but its me AGAIN :slight_smile: HAHA i was just wondering..well like i mite be trans and all but im not sure but even if im not would it be wrong or stupid or anything liek that if i got a sex change anyways and went by a guys name and all?idk..i just want to know wat u guys think..idk if it makes me transgender even becuz i feel that way..

2. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two things: 1 - The term "sex change" is really misleading. It's not one thing that you do and then suddenly you're done. Transition is a process. And 2 - No. It is never wrong or stupid to do any of the steps of transitioning. Sometimes transitioning doesn't work out for a person, but even that doesn't make it wrong. It just makes it an experiment that helped them learn more about themself.

3. just b urself

Thank you @fabuloustodd..wat do u mean transition is a process?ik u have to go to gender therapy first and then get T and then eventually u can get chest surgery and then bottom surgery..so u dont think it would be wrong if i got one?since i know i do for sure want one would it mean that im trans more then likely?cuz ive only heard trans people do that..other people wouldnt want to change the fact that they r a girl or a guy

4. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's exactly what I mean by it being a process. There are several different steps that people take to transition and not everybody does them in the same order or even does all of the steps. You name a lot of the medical steps people take to transition, but there are also social one such as name and pronoun change, wardrobe changes, etc.

In any case, although I can't tell you how you identify, I will say that if you want to transition, it's a pretty safe bet to say you are trans. You are right when you say that people who aren't transgender don't want to transition.

And I'll say it again: transition is never wrong. If it's what you want, do it. This is your body and your life and you need to do what's going to make you happy and make it a life worth living.

5. just b urself

thank you so much seriouslly.u made me feel a little better about the subject..its just so ocnfusing when it first comesu p cuz ur just like"omgsh who am i?" and well i wouldnt have to worry botu the wardrobe cuz i wear guy clothes already and im startin to have my friends call me by Hayden and say 'he" and everything to see wat it feels like but i guess i shouldnt try to rush my feelings to much cuz this is something u shouldnt rush on rite?and yea thstd what i was thinking cuz i remember wen i was like 7 and i was in class i told the whole class i wanted to be a boy and they all looked at me weird and were just like"why?"how long did it take u to figure it out?

6. bryan176

Now I am not transgender or know anyone who is but in my opinion you need to be 100% sure that you are before you do your transition two who you are.

7. maverick

8. just b urself

Yea,i know.i wont be able to talk to a therapist until like a year from now..a gender therapist that is..is that wat u mean?im going to go to gender therapy and then just do everythign i need to do.theyll lead me the way.

9. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, it can be extremely confusing when how you feel inside is in opposition to what society is telling you. Just take it one step at a time and trust that your feelings are more valid FOR YOU than what anyone else could possibly think or say.

And even though it is true that there are hoops you have to jump through, it doesn't have to be as overwhelming as some would make it seem. Especially once you turn 18, there are plenty of doctors out there who will treat you based on informed consent (meaning you just have to talk to the physician and request hormone treatment, rather than having a therapist refer you). If you are starting to have people call you your chosen male name and use male pronouns for you now, you will have had plenty of real life experience by the time your 18th comes around. This is not to say it won't help you to talk to a therapist with experience in the area, just that it doesn't have to be a requirement for furthering medical transition, if that's where you chose to go.

As for your question, how long did it take to figure it out....it's hard to say. Like you, I have memories of being a little kid and telling people I was/wanted to be a boy, but still went through adolescence living outwardly as a girl. I wouldn't say that there was one moment in time when I "figured it out." Rather, I took steps towards living more authentically and every one made me feel better about myself and my life, so I continued. Now I live full-time as male, have medically transitioned, and even have friends who know nothing of my female path. That being said, there are still parts of myself I haven't figured out! Like all of life, it's a journey, not a destination...

10. just b urself

thank you so much.this menas alot to me.and thats exactly wat im saying..it can be extremely confusing when how you feel inside is in opposition to what society is telling you..its so confusing to find out hwo u r within.its hard nto to look at ursself and say u r who r on the outside..ik oen thing,wen i think of how my gender may be a girl its hurts me and i get upset with myself

11. Akira

12. FloatingPiano

Well, I'm not transgendered or anything, but I just want to say I still understand your feelings of opposition to what society is telling you to be. I'm a girl that likes girls, but society is telling me I need to like boys.

About you transitioning, I do actually know a bit about the subject, as one of my best friends is a transgender FtM. Before actually beginning the transition process, you need to go through all sorts of medical therapy and test to show that you are approved to begin transitioning. (gender therapy, etc..)

I wouldn't rush the whole process though. Take some time to do some self reflecting. Make sure you really understand who you are and how you see yourself in the future.

Lastly, there is nothing wrong with being trans. :slight_smile:

13. just b urself

i want to thank all of u guys.all thjis stuff just bugs me so much cuz im one of those people thta if i dotn know something it eats me alive until i do..but idk..i have a year to do self reflecting and then wen i move ima start gender therapy if everythign is still happening and they will be able to tell if i am or not