1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

going to queer group making me sad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alan t, Sep 22, 2011.

1. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I went to this thing...(same one I mentioned in another post). It's literally the first time in my life I've seen other gay people who are not totally out and all. So that made me feel good at first. But the thing is all the people like that are way younger than me so I feel like... I'm behind(?) or something. I've read a lot of posts on here about this theme so I've seen those answers already... but . I don't know... I wish I knew of other people in the same place as me? It's really depressing to think I'm like the only one in that spot... I don't know exactly what I mean. I just hate feeling alone. I know, there are probably a few others here on EC but I wish there were people I could see

2. shootingstars

Don't worry, I think it takes time to come out, and it can happen in baby steps if you come from a very unaccepting background. I'm finally in an environment where I can be out, but I've essentially been closeted for the past five years so it's taking me time to actually feel like it's okay to tell others I'm gay. There are other people who are "behind," and you will eventually get "up to speed."

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Alan, I can totally relate, other than going to the group, but that's what I imagined it would be like if I did go. So kudos to you for having the guts to go out and do that :eusa_clap. I figure the younger people at a group would look at me and think I must be really messed up to be 36 and still trying to come out. I don't think that's true about me, in fact I'm a pretty average guy, but life went a certain way for me and I've made some choices and here I am. Same for you, man. Maybe there is another group you could try or you might hit it off some people in that one and they'll see that you're just a regular guy trying to make it in this world like they are. Take care :thumbsup:

4. Bosco

When I went to the lgbt event at my school a few days ago, that was definitely the furthest thing away from my mind. (I mean, half of my thoughts were just me freaking out over the new-ness of it all.

And really, I feel that age really doesn't make a difference once you're past 18 (when you start university). I care much more about your personality than something like age.
    If nothing else, it means you have seen more and have more to offer in terms of conversation : )

This is, of course, provided that you're not 30-40 years older than me. But even then, I don't see that getting in the way of us being friends. I'd just feel a little awkward going clubbing or something with you xDD

5. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh ididnt mean to sound like I had any problem with the people there. They seem great. I dontbelieve they'll think anything wrong with me.
    it just would be nice if I could know someone more like me sometime... I guess its pretty unlikely because f they were like me theywouldnt be making themselves known :frowning2:

---------- Post added 22nd Sep 2011 at 11:52 PM ----------

I'm not even in an unaccepting enviroment that's why I'm so embarasd about it. If ittakes time how long is that supposed to take...? ithink each of my baby steps takes like a year or more. At that rate I won't get anywhere in this lifetime