1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

confusing girl

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by shootingstars, Sep 22, 2011.

1. shootingstars

I'm very confused about this girl who I was certain had a thing for me until yesterday. We've known each other for the past month or so, and from the beginning she's been extremely friendly, flirty, and touchy with me. I'm a skeptic when it comes to girls liking me, but her behavior indicated that she was interested (she definitely acted more interested than any girls who have merely wanted to befriend me up to this point), and two of my close friends thought she liked me as well. Yesterday she mentioned how she's facebook married to her best friend and jokingly referred to the best friend as her wife, and when I laughed she was like, "but I'm not lesbian." I just think it's really weird how this girl completely set off my gaydar (e.g. her behavior toward me, her collection of comfortable footwear/slight tomboyness, how she seems platonic around guys, how I saw her wear a rainbow bracelet, and her blank facebook "interested in" when the rest of her profile is extensively filled out) and she felt compelled to deny being lesbian. I realize she could still be bi, but in that case wouldn't she want to act interested in girls if she liked me? I'm perfectly willing to accept it if she's straight or not interested, but I'm having difficulty understanding why she would practically lead me on if that was the case. Do you think she's 1. gay/bi and afraid of acting overly interested, 2. gay/bi and not interested, 3. straight, or 4. other?

2. Chandra

Been there. Feelin' your pain.

As I told someone else recently, girls can get away with an awful lot of touchy-feely-flirty-downright-seductive behaviour with each other and still consider themselves straight. If she felt the need to clarify that she's not a lesbian, I'm guessing that's the case here. (On the other hand, I'm dating a woman and don't consider myself a lesbian, so it could just be a question of labels - but my impression from what you've said is that she said that to intentionally distance herself from any assumptions.)

3. settlingdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know girls who are very like that and are completely straight and personally would take her saying shes not lesbian to mean shes not... Sorry only just noticed how old this was:confused:

#3 settlingdown, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  4. Daisy1

Yeah, I've got to agree with everyone here. My girl friends at school are incredibly touchy and flirty with other girls, and they're all straight.