1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Letting others know

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Watz08, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Watz08

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So over this summer I had been going to therapy for my problem with socializing with others. Unfortunately I had to stop because of school (I live too far away to continue) but I feel that I better understand what's been holding me back and how I can try to deal with it. So far there have been some improvements. I made some new friends, joined some groups and have just generally been doing more stuff. I now feel like I'm at a point that I want to be more open about me being bi but I'm not sure how to do it.

There are a couple people at my university who know but we've never actually talked about it after they found out. I did have a date with a guy (my first date by the way :thumbsup:) where he asked me about it but he then when on to say how he doesn't think people can be bi and let’s just say it made dinner slightly more awkward :grin:. But other than that no one knows and I'd like for that to change some. I've thought about going to one of the LGBT groups on campus but I don't know if I'm comfortable having so many people I don't know finding out at once. It sounds kinda silly, I know, but those were some of the thoughts I had about everything before therapy. I would like to get there eventually but I want to start off small.

I guess my real question is if there is any way to let others know I'm bi without having to announce it every time. Any advice on how to do this? Thanks. :slight_smile:

2. Mogget

There are ways you can subtly signal your orientation. Some involve wearing certain types of clothing and certain hairstyles; I can't help you with those, they're too subtle for me to be much good at picking up on them. A less subtle way is to wear LGBT themed jewelry. The rainbow wristband is common if a bit tacky. I have a friend who wears a necklace with rainbow rings that looks very nice, and there are other equally nice options out there.