1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Videos/Articles

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by njec11, Sep 25, 2011.

1. njec11

Hi all...in an earlier post someone made a short list of you tube videos that they found particularly helpful to watch for those of us at the beginning of the coming out process or in the process of coming to terms with the fact that we are gay.

I found the videos extremely encouraging. I was wondering if you all had other videos/articles that you found helpful/inspirational/insightful and if you could post the links to those videos below.

Once again...I wanted to thank everyone for the support/advice. My first few weeks on this forum have been incredible.

2. otc877

otc877 Guest

Hi,

Here's a few videos I found helpful:

Brad - YouTube
    I don't know why I felt so connected to this video, but it's been a favorite of mine for a while

Holes - YouTube
    Not directly related to gay issues, but can be easily applied. Great message. Great motivation.

Gay Parents Bashed - YouTube
    This video is a cheesy social experiment ABC did, where they put a lesbian couple in a restauraunt and had the waitress be a complete homophobe to them. One of the patron's responses gave me the chills. It was really refreshing to see.

Rise Against - Make It Stop (September's Children) - YouTube
    Here's a song Rise Against wrote in response to the suicides that started the It Gets Better project. It was awesome to see a band (especially in that genre) take such a direct stance on the issue. I recommend reading some of the interviews where the writer of the song talks about his motivation.

Google Chrome: It Gets Better - YouTube
    This is an advertisement for a web browser. But, it's much more than that, it shows the stance a powerful company within the US has taken on the issue. It's nice to see we have allies in many places. Plus they offered to pay gay and lesbians more to cover the tax differences of their heterosexual counterparts
    Google to Add Pay to Cover a Tax for Same-Sex Benefits - NYTimes.com

AreYouSuprised's Channel - YouTube
    Rather than link a video, here's a channel. This guy was a closeted member of the US armed forces. He chronicles his journey from being completely in the closet to becoming fully out.

The He Hormone - New York Times
    This is one of my favorite articles I have ever read. Ever. I struggled with the concept of masculinity, not so much that I lack it, but rather that I'm forced to defend it. The article is written by a man whose body cannot produce enough testosterone, so he is forced to inject the hormone himself. As a result, he is able to analyze what he feels pre and post injection. It's really insightful.

Articles are harder for me to find as I don't have a clear favorites history like there is on Youtube. I would suggest heading over to the LGBT News, Rights, Issues and Equality section. Dan82 has an RSS feed for LGBT material that he shares regularly with the site.

This is by no means a comprehensive list of all the useful materials I've found and a majority of them were discovered through simple searches.

I'll post more if I stumble across anything I had left out, but that should be enough to get you started. Hope you enjoy them!

3. Indiana Juno

This wasn't a video clip I saw - it's a clip from a movie. On it's own, it's powerful enough, but I recommend seeing the entire movie to get a full scope of things. It really is a beautiful film.

This part of the film inspired me - it planted the seed in my mind that lead to my first coming out to my friend. Still makes me shed a tear occasionally.

V for Vendetta - Valerie's Story - Evey's Reborn - YouTube

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I posted this in the encouragement thread but it's really good. Enjoy ^_^

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InN6bt0B8x0[/YOUTUBE]