1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help, Please read!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AramGerahian, Sep 27, 2011.

1. AramGerahian

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello, My name is Aram, i am 13 years old and i live in St. Pete Beach, Florida.
    I am bi, but only known by one person who i can trust, although i am friends with everyone at my school, i am afraid if i come out then i will be constantly made fun of,because at my
    school, there are a lot of anti gay/bi's

2. Keelin

First, Welcome to EC. My name's Kyle. :slight_smile:

If I were you, wait until you are older and the kids are less hormone crazed idiots. Most kids our age are homophobic. Unless you are really dying to come out, stay in the closet.

Just a suggestion. :slight_smile:

3. Jewel

Jewel Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This all the way.
    I'm 14 and totally out and proud, but I've only really told those who really matter to me, not that I lie to the rest. But that's because my brother was gay and out, so everyone close to us was used to having a gay friend/relative. And that didn't change when my brother died before I came out. No one cared.
    But if the people at your school are kinda homophobic, then I suggest you wait. You're thirteen, and most people consider that very young, they think you're not old enough to know that yet.
    (*hug*) Good luck

4. Dasc Crescent

I would say just tell ur close friends for now, if you think they can take it well
    do not tell everyone, even if the people would be okay with it, just because everyone else knows, they will make fun of or reject you.
    It does help to have your friends know, even if its just a few.

5. Eleanor Rigby

Hello Aram and welcome to EC :slight_smile:

you've come to the right place to get help and support. You can ask whatever question you may have, either in the forum or to any advisor if you prefer talking to one person only.

From what you said, maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea to come out at school for now. Coming out is something you have to do when you feel ready for it but also when you think it's safe enough to do so. If you think that coming out would make you the target of your classmates, it may be wiser not to come out to them yet.
    But that doesn't mean you have to stay fully closeted. You certainly have around you people you can talk to who would be supportive : maybe you parents, maybe other family members or family friends, maybe a teacher you like or your school counselor. Maybe you can start opening up to those people about how you feel and hopefully get help and support from them. It would help you building a "safety net" that will make it easier for you to come out to other people, and even to your school mates, when you'll feel ready for it.

Until then, you're welcome to come to Ec anytime and ask us whatever questions you may have.
    Take care, Cécile

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    in such an environment i'd suggest holding off until the people around you are more mature and able to process gay/bi better.

7. behind glass

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Im kinda in the same boat as you but I am a little further along than you are but the best thing you can do is build yourself a safety net of close friends. For me this took a while because I would first figure out peoples positions on what they thought about gay people and if it was positive I would eventually tell them I am gay. This might work for you and help you out, but it does really help to have as the others said a safety net because then you can talk to them if you do decide to come out to everyone and there are any problems they can help you out.

8. pronua

Only tell people you trust. If you tell everyone, there is a good chance you will be bullied at some point. Middle/High Schoolers are very immature at times, so sometimes it is best to wait.

9. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC ^.^

The thing is that the people at your school have no business knowing your sexuality. What you do in your personal life is nobody's business but your own. It is your choice, and yours alone, to decide who to tell and when to tell them. If you don't feel comfortable telling somebody then you are by no means obligated to tell them.

I'm not saying you should live a lie, just act how you want to act. Live your life and let them worry about their own problems.

Tell your mom or dad if you really feel the inevitable pressure to tell somebody. Or if you don't feel comfortable with that, then the school counselors are forced to keep it a secret by law.

Coming to EC was a great decision and you will find a lot of support here ^.^ If you need to talk remember that nobody here will judge you, and we are all here to help. (*hug*)

10. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Aram and welcome to EC! As what the others have said, I would wait a while. You're 13, there is still plenty of time to come out to people. You're very young still. Of course it's your choice but I would suggest waiting a while. At least until you're in high school and are certain this is who you are. :slight_smile:

11. behind glass

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is better to wait to come out until at least half way through high school, but thats just my opinion, because people might pick on you your freshman year.

12. missyjustice

missyjustice Guest

My advice is to only come out to the people who you trust and want to know. Your romantic/sexual life is personal and I don't think it's something that is everyone else needs to take part in. The thing about highschool is that once you tell one person it doesn't take too long for a lot more to find out so I'd say if you really aren't ready for everyone to know be very selective about who you tell and make sure you have good friends who will stand by you during the hard times.

13. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd wait, like those above said. I told my gay cousin and a few friends a knew were in no way homophobic and are trustworthy. So yeah, like above, if you have some very good friends, tell them or your parents if you feel you need to tell someone.